How long to get ready (on avg.)??

zzoester

On average, how long do you spending getting ready?

I know this sounds a little funny, but this is a really serious topic for me. My husband and I don't argue much but we have had our fair share of arguments about how long I spend getting ready.....and how long he has to sit and wait for me to be finished so we can leave already.

For me, a shower/blow dry/flat iron/moisturizing/teeth brushing/full face of makeup/picking out clothing and getting dressed can EASILY take 2 hours. If I really really REALLY rush I can do it in an hour....but only half-assed.
ssad.gif
Honestly, I feel like a freak sometimes! My husband really and truly appreciates the care I put into my appearance but he does think I go overboard a lot of the time. It has definitely caused arguments between us and I hate it because there is no real solution because I can't see myself caring less and/or getting any faster.

Does anyone else deal with this issue? If so, what do you do about it??

TISH1124

2 Hours wow....I couldn't imagine....30-40 mins tops.....special occasion it may take an hour...but never more

OfficerJenny

It takes me generally like 1.5 hours if I'm wearing no makeup or just lips.

If i wake up and I'm brushing teach and throwing a hat on and running out the door it takes 5 minutes

it really depends on when I wake up, and when I have to be wear I have to be
tong.gif
tong.gif

ohnna-lee

If I am going out on a night on the town 2 (if I am rushed) -3 (If I have it my way) hours
greengrin.gif

That includes drinking some intoxicating substance and blasting music followed by...
.shaving
.exfoliating
.showering 25 to 30 min or more
.any other feminine process 20 minutes
.Hair to dry and straighten which is a bitch because I am highly untalented in that area 45 to an hour, more if I am having hair issues
.moisturizing and putting shimmers... I have no clue
.Face make up 1 to 2 hours.

It is so easy to spend time getting ready to go out and I believe it is part of the evening.

A man can spend all day sitting in front of a TV, this is what I believe as our version of entertainment. It's a shame guys can't get the same satisfaction of feeling themselves up and looking at their image in the mirror for hours straight. But hey, I am a narcissist! I can stare at myself for hours and like it!!
th_wink3.gif

Although I have gone out bare faced to red carpet events and thrown on a simple dress, I would rather go all out and cater to myself... I am woman ya know!

To the OP.... are you a Libra!
sneaky.gif

gigiopolis

I don't shower in the morning so to brush my teeth, wash my face, moisturize, do makeup plus dress...30 minutes. If I'm REALLY in a hurry I can cut that down to 10. Add another 30 minutes to that if I shower and blow-dry my hair.

For a special occasion, maybe an extra 20 minutes on top of that. I have never really spent more than an hour getting ready, unless I screw up badly and have to do some things over.

anita22

On a normal working day, it takes me 1 hour 45 minutes to get ready, if I am not in a hurry. Mainly this is because I wash, dry & straighten my hair most days, & spend a bit of time on my makeup (which I enjoy!). But lately I am a lot busier and so I'm trying to find ways to cut down the time, e.g.:

- Pick out & iron my clothes the night before
- Simplify my makeup. Paint pots are great for this as usually it's my eyeshadow takes me the longest to do; these are really fast to apply & theres still lots of colour choices
- I am looking at thermal reconditioning (chemically straightening) my hair so that all i have to do is blow-dry and my hair will be done!
- Eat breakfast at work (this is only if I'm really short on time! I keep mini boxes of cereal in my bottom desk drawer & take along some fruit & yoghurt, so it least its healthy!).
- Clean my makeup brushes at night, rather than in the morning

I'm moving cities soon and I'm fairly sure I'm going to be spending lots more time commuting... so hopefully I will be able to speed things up!

sayah

Wow!

I get that it's a sore thumb of sorts between you two. I can't calculate with blow drying beause I have really thick hair but other than that maybe 30-40 minutes.

COBI

If I already know what I am going to wear, it takes me about 20-25 to get ready including shower time, teeth, skincare, makeup, hair (including drying and straightening, but it's short) and dressing. If I don't know what I want to wear, it can be forever.
greengrin.gif

Special occasion makeup may add 10 minutes.

Whenever it starts taking me longer than the 20-25 minutes on a regular basis, I honestly reflect on and adjust my routine, hairstyle, etc. because I don't want to spend more time than that getting ready regularly.

xsavagex

I'm rather quick.

Depends on where im going though

For uni it takes me probably.... 10 mins to change, eat, put make up on, brush teeth, do hair. Yeah 10 mins tops.

If i'm going out its 30 mins

LMD84

getting ready for work takes me 30-40 mins. this is because i wear my hair in a poneytail for work and don't straighten it. oh and i only wear 3 eyecolours max to work so that saves on time!

when i'm going on a night out however it takes me 2-3 hours!! i like to shower and shave, face mask, hair mask, and pluck!

then i use my foot spa while drying my hair. then i have to straighten my hair whihc takes a while because even though i use ghd's i have really long, thick, naturally wavey/frizzy hair! then i take my time on make up - like actually leaving time for my moisturiser to settle in before i put foundation on. i also use concealer on a night out whihc i never usually do. then actually getting dressed takes time and picking out my accessories!

so yeah.... i'm terrible!

ancilla

For me it also depends upon where we are going, but my husband has mentioned the same thing to me once or twice. As far as how to make things harmonious in the house once more, I just make a conscious effort to either start early, or be less indecisive. It helps if I pick out what I want to wear the day before, and then things go more smoothly. (Also I am not yet awesome at applying eyeliner, so like, I'll mess it up a few times along the way
smiles.gif

Going to work: ~20 minutes
Special occasions: 1 or 1.5 hours if I'm styling my hair

But really, our biggest dilemma is, "Hey, do you want to go to the gym?"

Going to the gym: Sometimes it takes me, oh, a few days to get ready for that. hehehe.

"I swear, I'll go tomorrow. Domani!"

stronqerx

30 mins on average and that includes a shower. Going on a date with my fiance or just wanting to look cuter about an 1hr -1 hr and 15 mins. I am lucky though because my fiance takes a long time too, for him cutting time on getting ready is about 30 mins, usually he can take about an hour too lol...he irons all his clothes, exfoliates, takes his time to mositurize, ect...
gosh i love that man..lol

belle89

On a regular school day - 30 minutes (shower, brushing teeth, very minimal makeup)
Going out for the night - about an hour and 15 minutes
During the weekends - 45 minutes (I put in more effort than on a regular school day as far as planning what I'll wear and makeup)
Special occasion - An hour and a half (includes hair styling)

onepinkdiamond

First thing's first: I have somewhat coarse, naturally curly hair so I can't wash my hair every day. I normally wash it every other day as the heat involved in blow drying (15 mins), straightening (30 mins) can take its toll. Normally, I wash it at night so it can air dry and then I'll straighten it in the morning, so that will vary my routine a bit. So with that being said, here is my average time spent in getting ready, with my hair already straightened:

Getting ready for work: 30 mins - 1 hour, maybe less<< most of this time is spent on teeth, getting dressed, styling my hair (20 minutes) and then my face (15 minutes tops).

Weekends: 45 mins - 2 hours<< It depends how I'm feeling and what the occasion is. Generally though, I like to treat myself to a little more TLC on the weekends because my job is not for the glamorous.
thmbdn.gif

A night out: 2 hours EASILY<< I like accessorizing a bit on nights out (especially if it's going to be a NapkinNight
drinks.gif
winks.gif
so this involves the works! Hair extensions (for length), flawless face, picking something out cute to wear, or even if I have to re-do my hair which would add an hour.

A run to the grocery store, or walk with the dog: 10 mins

...Many times though, if I know how much time I have I can just adjust to it and make it work, but the above is just an ideal breakdown.

I hope my summary gives shares some perspective on how long it takes others to get ready. If it helps, share it with your hubby! My hubby and I have been married roughly 2 years, and this has always been the way I am. He's accepted it and understands that I am a woman that appreciates 'maintenance'; to kill time he'll play xbox or go on the computer. All in all, he understands now that this is my way of giving myself attention instead of 'letting myself go' which is very common. As you can see, I'm reasonable with my routine so he's reasonable with me
smiles.gif

zzoester

Thanks, everyone! Seriously....this is really helpful.

I think my hair is what messes me up. I have a tendency to wash my hair daily because I feel nasty if I don't (although sometimes I don't shampoo the entire thing). The products, brushing out, blow drying and then flat ironing (or using the curling iron) are really what rack up most of the time I think.

Yesterday I didn't wash my hair so it sped me up to about 45 min....and that was with a full face of makeup and getting dressed up in really nice clothes because we were going out to dinner.
smiles.gif

Oh, and my hair is REALLY REALLY long. I just got 1.5 inches cut off but it's still super duper long. Maybe I'll stop being lazy a post a pic one of these days! lol

deadSAVVY

45 minutes every morning. about 30 for my face washing, teeth, moisturizing, clothes, and Makeup, but for my hair it's about 15 minutes wrestling with it.
smiles.gif

iadoremac

One hour when i am going out its one and a half hours because i also have to do my hair and other stuff

sayah

Maybe you could agree to skip washing your hair on special occasions? Okay, that sounds weird, but I hope you get what I mean.
greengrin.gif

Like I said before my hair also takes forever to dry but I just wash it 2-3 times a week.

Makeupaddict88

If I have to do my hair, make up, and get dressed, probably about an hour/hour and a half. I have long thick hair so to dry it and straighten it takes about 45 minutes in itself. My make up usually takes about 15 minutes depending on where I'm going and what I'll be doing that night. I take longer on my make up if I'm going somewhere nice. If I'm going out with friends, I'll do it nice but not take as much time. So I guess all in all it just depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

ClaireAvril

For me.. for work.. 1 hour and 15 minutes.. because I wake up so damn early in the morning its like I do everything at a slower pace.
Going out.. about 2 hours.