• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

How to improve my eyes?

walloa

Hi, so I took a few selfies today and I thought I looked quite good if it wasn't for my ******** gaze
I've struggles my whole life with eye circles/ looking tired, also I think my eyes are tilted downwards so I definitely don't have a cute cat eye look
How can I improve this about me without using heavy make up? On this picture I am only wearing some concealer and my eyes still look quite tired (I seem 13 yo but I'm 18 if anyone wonders)
IMG_20210212_154559.jpg

Also sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, please redirect me if it isn't

Last edited by a moderator:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Please don't refer to your gaze in those terms (especially not the r-word). 🙁

First off, do not use a concealer shade one shade lighter than your skintone to attempt to conceal your circles. It will just make them look worse. Use one that's the same as your skintone (or even one shade darker), and then if you want to use a lighter shade over the top, then go in with that. Another option would be to go in with a colour corrector in a shade the opposite of your circles to neutralize them before using concealer.

I think what may be more key for you is skincare. Look for eye serums with niacinamide or caffeine in them, as those ingredients can help with brightening the undereye area over time.

And for the eye shape... a winged eyeliner. It doesn't have to be a huge wing, just a little flick can go a long way. Also: don't line your entire lower lashline; keep it to the outer third or so.

lasharn

Catching up on sleep can also help. Allow yourself 7-8 hours of rest to prevent dark circles from appearing.

AmbyH

Use a yellow or peach colored concealer in a shade slightly darker than you'd normally reach for to neutralize the purple shadow under your eyes.

makeupbyomar

Won't that add like cakey/powder effect after a long day?

No it won't. Again colour theory.

Also again, shellygrrl nails it and knows what time it is.

I just worked with 3 female actors (3 different ethnicities - light, med and dark skin tones) all of whom had very dark eye circles that were very difficult to conceal. The trick we used? A combination of concealers and lighting techniques to reduce the look of them.

So in the real world you won't really reduce your dark circles 100%. Minimizing the darkness is your best bet.

mirandamir

No it won't. Again colour theory.

Also again, shellygrrl nails it and knows what time it is.

I just worked with 3 female actors (3 different ethnicities - light, med and dark skin tones) all of whom had very dark eye circles that were very difficult to conceal. The trick we used? A combination of concealers and lighting techniques to reduce the look of them.

So in the real world you won't really reduce your dark circles 100%. Minimizing the darkness is your best bet.
That interesting! Thank you! I've always been scared of to be honest cause I have friend who does the same thing but complains about it being cakey at the end of the day. I'm assuming she's using the wrong shade for hers.

shellygrrl

Staff member
That interesting! Thank you! I've always been scared of to be honest cause I have friend who does the same thing but complains about it being cakey at the end of the day. I'm assuming she's using the wrong shade for hers.
She may be using too much of either concealer or setting powder.

makeupbyomar

She may be using too much of either concealer or setting powder.

That's right. Again I forget that not everyone is really experienced of the nuances of make-up application... As the under eye area is the thinnest part of the skin on the human body, you would use a very light hand with your concealer and powder. Let the product work for you. Too much product will tend to accentuate fine lines and will look cakey, even when it's the correct shade you're working with.

Latest posts