How To Look Older?

TangoMango

Well, I'm having a tiny dilemma. Ok not really, but I'm turning 18 in 2 weeks and I still get mistaken for a 14 year old. I would really like to start looking like I'm 18.

I got makeup done at a MAC counter last Thursday and I was really happy with the results. I actually looked my age!

Any reccomendations on what sort of makeup will make me look older? (Not too old, just more mature.) I have the clothes and hair, now I just need my face to match it.
smiles.gif

ETA: Mods, I think I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry.

TRUEFASHIONISTA

I think you are pretty just the way you are! However, I totally understand what you are going through. I guess I am what one would consider "young middle age" but people commonly mistake me for 16-18. It annoys me so sometimes but then I think, well when I am 45 maybe people will only think I am 25! LOL

I would say the easiest way to appear older is to darken or add more color to the lips. You don't have to go completely vamp but a little color definitely adds definition to your face.

Just be mindful to maintain your youthful glow. If you overdue it, it may come off as you trying too hard. It's amazing what conclusions people draw based on something as simple as makeup.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!
smiles.gif

saj20052006

Sweetheart, you are gorgeous. When you're 30, you will be thankful for people mistaking you for a teenager.

Darken your eyes (i.e. liner), maybe some natural looking false lashed and if you pin your hair up, try an elegant updo. Although, I think having your down makes woman look older.

Beauty Mark

Eyeliner, neutral eye colors, no glitter, lipstick with defined lips. How you do your hair and dress, as well as your carriage (good posture, good walk), will keep you looking more mature. Your hair should be well-kept and styled, your clothes should fit well. Tailored clothes always make me look closer to my age. Think Ann Taylor Loft style clothes.

I'm in my 20s and can pass for about 18.

flowerhead

Definately wear a rose/red coloured lipstick, as it will define your face and isn't something teens usually wear. Black eyeliner will also mature your face

knoxydoll

Stay away from pastel colour and glitter, very often associated with teenagers. Opted for more sophisticated colour, and bolder, darker lips. Try and wear less, but more define mu.

Moppit

My advice is to give it time and it will come naturally. Enjoy it now because some day you will be wishing you looked younger.

thelilprincess

you are a pretty gal. but i know what you mean, many asians look young (but once we hit 60, we look like we're 90 years old!) hahahaha. but now that i'm "30 and flirty" is still get mistaken for 26 and love it!

but honesty, don't wear make-up to look older.
iagree.gif
i agree with the TRUEFASHIONISTA that you may look like you're trying too had. and i agree with saj20052006 about hair - but not necessarily an updo. but i believe that a great cut can creat a totally different look and mood for you. my hair grows fast, so i use to chop it off one year, then the next year i would have long hair. i did a hair show for RUSK once and they chopped off the hair and gave me an almost pixie look in front of an audience of hairstylists! but i tend to look older with short hair - and that's another thing i noticed in undergrad - most of the freshman girls had their long straight hair, whereas the upperclass girl were more daring with the hair.

now i'm not saying to go out and chop your hair. maybe some layers, something that will make you feel a bit more styled? i find i can wear less make-up when my hair looks good. get a hairstyle that makes you look good (not necessarily older). i rock bangs now, and hated them back in college (just because i use to hairsray the bangs up 80s style)

i like halle berry better with her short hair instead of the longer locks she's rocking now. but like i said, get a cut that compliments your face, and up to your maintainance (short hair was high maintanance for me since i had to style it or else risk looking poofy) ooh, and another one - have you ever watched Real World Las Vegas (i know, reality show)....but Irulan looks rocking with her new hairstyle! just some ideas for you.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelilprincess
you are a pretty gal. but i know what you mean, many asians look young (but once we hit 60, we look like we're 90 years old!) hahahaha. but now that i'm "30 and flirty" is still get mistaken for 26 and love it!

but honesty, don't wear make-up to look older.
iagree.gif
i agree with the TRUEFASHIONISTA that you may look like you're trying too had. and i agree with saj20052006 about hair - but not necessarily an updo. but i believe that a great cut can creat a totally different look and mood for you. my hair grows fast, so i use to chop it off one year, then the next year i would have long hair. i did a hair show for RUSK once and they chopped off the hair and gave me an almost pixie look in front of an audience of hairstylists! but i tend to look older with short hair - and that's another thing i noticed in undergrad - most of the freshman girls had their long straight hair, whereas the upperclass girl were more daring with the hair.

now i'm not saying to go out and chop your hair. maybe some layers, something that will make you feel a bit more styled? i find i can wear less make-up when my hair looks good. get a hairstyle that makes you look good (not necessarily older). i rock bangs now, and hated them back in college (just because i use to hairsray the bangs up 80s style)

i like halle berry better with her short hair instead of the longer locks she's rocking now. but like i said, get a cut that compliments your face, and up to your maintainance (short hair was high maintanance for me since i had to style it or else risk looking poofy) ooh, and another one - have you ever watched Real World Las Vegas (i know, reality show)....but Irulan looks rocking with her new hairstyle! just some ideas for you.

my grandma is in her 80s and she looks like she is in her 70s. i don't think asians will look 90 when they are 60. they might look like they are in their 50s.

chameleonmary

trust me love, you do not want to look older than you are, at ANY age! i WISH i looked 4 years younger, cos God knows i feel 4 years older!

mzdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxydoll
Stay away from pastel colour and glitter, very often associated with teenagers. Opted for more sophisticated colour, and bolder, darker lips. Try and wear less, but more define mu.

Seconded! Also, I find that that better your make-up application skills are, the more mature you'll appear. i.e., applying with a sponge-tip applicator vs applying with actual brushes.
lol.gif

NO glitter! Mos def.

rebekah

I have your problem, when I was 17 and had just gotten out of highschool I was working at a diner in Atlanta and one of the customers said to me as he was checking out "How old are you like 14?" I was so hurt! I was wearing really bright eyeshadow.

So my advice would be not too much bright eyeshadow? haha

TangoMango

Thank you all for the kind comments and tips!

I just lost an opportunity to have a job because they assumed I was younger than 18, but oh well, they missed out. I think I'll just let it come naturally and continue to be myself.

I will say, though, that I love the dark-eye-rose-lips combo!

Latest posts