• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

How to Make TLC Pots into Sticks Tutorial

aznsmurfy

This is going to be the dopest tutorial EVER!! Well, not really, but it's should be good for kicks.
smiles.gif
And yes, I know NO ONE uses the word "dope" anymore, but it was just too much fun.
smiles.gif

How To Make TLC Sticks

Step 1: Gather all the stuff you need. Tinted Lip Conditioner, Rubbing Alcohol, Tiny Spatula, Metal Piping Tip (for decotrating cakes), Tweezers, Tissue, Empty Lip Balm Tube, Candle, and Matches.

Step1.jpg

Step 1a: Sanitize anything you can. Tweezers, Metal Piping Tip, etc.

Step1a.jpg

Step 1b: Scoop out a good amount of TLC and put it into the piping tip.

Step1c.jpg

Step 3: Holding the piping tip by the tip of the tweezers tightly, hold the upper part of the tip over the flame tilting downwards so the TLC doesn't spill out the back (happened to me). :p It melts QUICK, so peep over and check as it's melting. Once it starts to slide down the tip, hold the lip balm tube underneath to start catching it. (You can also hold it simultaneously as you are heating it, not too close to the flame though!) You're going to have to go back and do this a few times to fill the tube but since this was my first run, I didn't want to botch up a whole jar so I screwed the lip balm to pretty close to the top so I wouldn't have to fill the whole thing.

I couldn't take a picutre of me filling the tubes because it required both hands. :p

Step2.jpg

Step 4: Voila! Done.

Step1b.jpg

Extra Photos!

TLC SPF 15: This was the second one I did. I didn't bother cleaning out the Summerfete from the first time because I don't mind the swirls. Doesn't look as clean/neat, but I like the Summerfete so no matter.
smiles.gif
I accidentally melted too much and couldn't screw the lip balm tube to accomodate more so it ended up in a nice dome shape.
smiles.gif
I tried screwing it down while it was drying (again) and the dome caved. . .then I screwed it back up into a dome again.
smiles.gif

SPF15.jpg

Pink Pink to Make the Boys Wink TLC: WOOT! This one I filled the well with the SPF 15 TLC first so you can see a white band and then the pink on top of it.

Pink.jpg

"Originals": I originally had the TLCs in the little jars pictured below because I thought they would be easier to use, tote around, etc. It ended up being a pain in the tookas as my nails got longer and it was just hard to reach for and use them.

Original.jpg

Finished TLC Lip Balm Tubes with Caps Off:

Tubes.jpg

Finished TLC Lip Balm Tubes with Caps On: I have lots (think in the k) of these so I have many different colored caps. I was going to do different colors but the clear lets them show through real nice.
smiles.gif
I popped a green cap on the SPF 15 one because I like green.
smiles.gif
(I know they all have SPF 15)

TubeswithLids.jpg

Hope you guys liked everything!
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif

Tips:
1. Gather everything you need first.
2. The TLC slides out of the tube pretty slowly if it isn't overheated, it kind of oozes out and then plops out as the hotter part from the top comes down. Remember, the tip is metal so it will still be hot after you remove it from the flame so you can wait a couple seconds holding the tip over the tube and it will slide out at a good rate.
3. Screw the lip balm up if you don't want to fill a whole tube. I think they hold .15ml so obviously you can't put a whole tub in there.
smiles.gif

4. If you don't want to waste any of your precious ----insert name of LE/LC TLC here-----, fill the little well in the lip balm tube with the clear as I did with the Pink Pink to Make the Boys Wink TLC.
smiles.gif
(If you don't get what I mean, PM me or leave a comment.)
5. Tiny Q-Tips are good for cleaning the sides if you do the above step. The TLC tends to get on the sides first so it doesn't matter if you are doing all one color but if you are doing multiple, it is best to clean off the sides so the part you can actually use is the right color.
6. When in doubt screw the tube LOWER than you think it will fill. That is because you can always move it up without much ugliness, but since you are pouring/filling it in layers, if you find out you have more than can fill it is hard to screw it DOWN without leaving a huge airbubble or gap in the middle. If you don't fill it to the top, you can always screw it up. Remember: Harder to screw DOWN than UP. :p Learned the hard way.
smiles.gif

7. Definitely put a paper/magazine down first so it is easy to clean up later. Just roll it up and throw it away.
smiles.gif

*SUGGESTION* You can mix up a batch of the TLC and food coloring to create your OWN!! Or better yet, mix in some pigments for some really outrageous and seriously cool personalized TLC tubes.
winks.gif
Yes, the pigment idea sounds better. But make sure to check the precautions to make sure your pigment is lipsafe.
smiles.gif

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamDazzled
omg i think that was the DOPEST tutorial lol

LOL!! I agree. I would never have thought of that! I never buy lip stuff in jars because I don't like the idea of having to use my finger to get it out and spread on my lips. A bit anal that way. Great tutorial!

Gloriamgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye<3Colour
I've seen those lip balm tubes at the Hobby Lobby, not sure if you have one near u.

I don't have any of those around me...do you think they would be at any arts and crafts stores, like Michaels or something like that?

AlliSwan

Crafts& Stuff has empty balm tubes and pots, I've never seen them at my Michael's though...eBay definitely has some.

V2LUCKY

WOW! I LOVE your tutorial! I would have never though of that. I wanna try it but I know my butter fingers will mess something up.

HappyHannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuniie
what is TLC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsmurfy
Tinited Lip Conditioner
smiles.gif

rofl.gif
I'm such a dork, I always thought it meant "Tender Loving Care" for your lips!
lol.gif

dirtygirl

i often use just a dab of fuschia pigment with my other lip junk, so i think this tutorial is really awesome because it just gave me some great ideas to make some fuschia lip tubes!

That makes me wanna go to hobby lobby just to get tubes!
smiles.gif

thanks a bunch!!!

<3
dG

Latest posts