Hygiene Questions

tsukiyomi

Okay, so I see a lot of people that are selling lipglasses, lipsticks, fluidlines, mascaras, creme products, etc in the Swap Threads.

I'm confused.

With so many diseases going around like herpes and other things, why in the world would you buy used lip products and some eye products.

I know you can disinfect eyeshadows and pencil eyeliners but most makeup, you can't disinfect..

So why would you risk getting a disease or infection by buying those types of used makeup?

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Just think of m/u counters...if they can do it, it can be done.

Yes, but they use disposable wands, never double dip, etc.

I don't think that in your personal life, you would be concerned about that since they are yours....

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
Yes, but they use disposable wands, never double dip, etc.

I don't think that in your personal life, you would be concerned about that since they are yours....

That doesn't change the number of people who rub their fingers all over the shadows, dip them in the pigment jars, rub the glosswand on their hands, etc.
That wand goes into the tube, straightaway.
The shadows, I can tell the ones that have been on the display for awhile because they're slightly oily. The color payoff is actuallymuch better because of it, but it's still gross because that's other people's finger junk.

I don't buy used liner products, or lip products. :/

MACATTAK

Some things are very questionable..mascara, lipgloss..but for other things, lipsticks you can sanitize easily, shadows you can scrape the top layer. Different people = different opinions of what is okay for them.

panda0410

I never buy used lip products, mascaras etc. I have and would buy again used pigments though, especially if it was something I was having trouble getting, e/s probably as well and MSFs I have no problems with, so long as I know they are used.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
That doesn't change the number of people who rub their fingers all over the shadows, dip them in the pigment jars, rub the glosswand on their hands, etc.
That wand goes into the tube, straightaway.
The shadows, I can tell the ones that have been on the display for awhile because they're slightly oily. The color payoff is actuallymuch better because of it, but it's still gross because that's other people's finger junk.

I don't buy used liner products, or lip products. :/

I agree totally. When I try makeup at a counter, I always try on my hands, not my face. And then I'll wipe it off right away. I know you can sanitise shadows with alcohol. I think the only used items that I would buy would be shadows. I'd be scared to buy anything else.

winks.gif

lvgz

yeah same. i wont buy a used lip product, fluidline or blushcreme. i will buy powder make up though, like used e/s, msfs, bronzer etc.

Love Always Ivy

sorry nerdy premed student butting in .... but herpes simplex virus cannot be transmitted through an inanimate vector. just as you cant catch herpes from a toilet seat. its a widely known fact that to contract herpes you have to have direct mucous membrane contact with an infected, because the nature of the virus does not allow it to remain viable outside of a host environment. so in terms of catching herpes from a RIS l/s l/g or a tester from a counter, that is extremely unlikely.

and if someone tells you they contracted herpes from using a lipgloss, theyre lying to themselves.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
sorry nerdy premed student butting in .... but herpes simplex virus cannot be transmitted through an inanimate vector. just as you cant catch herpes from a toilet seat. its a widely known fact that to contract herpes you have to have direct mucous membrane contact with an infected, because the nature of the virus does not allow it to remain viable outside of a host environment. so in terms of catching herpes from a RIS l/s l/g or a tester from a counter, that is extremely unlikely.

and if someone tells you they contracted herpes from using a lipgloss, theyre lying to themselves.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up....no pun intended. I can imagine that you can get a lot of other nasty germs from using other people's lipgloss though.

caroni99

Quote:

Yay for nerdy premed students!!!

I guess i'm one of the few who does not care. If it is something I want and has been used a couple of times or less (just personal preference) then I will swap for it. It does not happen very often but the few times I have done it has been fine---29yrs old and never had a cold sore or anything remotely close.

I don't swap for mascaras or eyeliners etc so I'm not sure how safe or not it is.

I am waaaaay more concerned with the things I put in my body as opposed to the things I put on it.

Anybody who has worked in the food/restaurant industry can tell you horror stories (I know I can) and for the most part unless there is an outbreak of some sort of infection we just don't think about it....but trust me ur stomach would turn. Not trying to say it is all bad but we can become paranoid about everything if we wanted to.

To each their own I guess.

claresauntie

I have swapped in the past, but don't do so right now 'cause I have everything I wanted. But I didn't swap for lipglasses or mascaras, nor did I swap for any other cream products. Well, I swapped for a few BNIB cream blushes, 'cause I can tell when a product hasn't been touched. I can't tell if a lipglass or mascara has been used or not, so no go. I did swap for lipsticks and powdered products, though, because they are easily sanitized. Ditto lip pencils and eye pencils, though I have never swapped for those.

RougedAndReady

Quote:

This is somewhat true, and herpes is spread mostly when the shedding period is asymptomatic. Over 80% of the population carries it because of this. Also, chicken pox is a form of herpes, so if youve had chicken pox, youre likely to carry some strain or another in your blood whether or not you get cold sores. Cold sores are from herpes, obviously, but not everyone gets them. Theyre highly contagious, though(much like chicken pox blisters). I think it stands to reason that info on herpes sore suppresant medication advises people not to share cosmetics or utensils, etc.

Also, people need to keep in mind the difference between sanitary and sterile. Yes, alcohol will sanitize a lipstick and kill surface germs(IF you do it correctly-- a simple spray and wipe does not cut it), but it wont kill everything throughout. A medical grade antimicrobial is the best thing to use, but it wont kill everything.

That said, you catch more germs from day to day things than you will from used cosmetics. I just dont trade/buy certain things used because I have an overactive imagination and sensitive skin. I can imagine a lipgloss wearer doing... dirty things on his/her bf/gf and then reapplying lipgloss right after. Not something I want to be a part of.

Finally, all cosmetics contain bacteria-fighting preservatives in them that eradicate most nasties within 24 hours of the last use. That little number on the side of the box that says 6, 12, 24, etc isnt exactly a when-to-toss period, more of a time when the preservatives will stop being effective in this manner. However, most products tend to keep these properties for at LEAST 2 years(mascara never holds up this long, though). The more often you use something, the more quickly the preservatives degrade, which is why testers dont hold up as well as personal products do.

Hope this helps a few people. Theres some more info on the FDA website about all this, if anyone is curious
smiles.gif

blueangel1023

The only thing I would be ok using is e/s, blushes/msf's. I don't buy/swap used mascaras/liners, or lippies. I do at times sell/swap my lipglasses but I use my own wand/applicator and not the one it came with. Lipstick would be sanitized with alcohol just like they do it at the MU counters.

Technically I feel it's not a big issue if someone could drink from someone else's cup and eat from someone's plate...how much of a difference really if you're using used MU products? I guess to a certain extent some is considered okay.

xkriss

Quote:

I heard that blepheritis(spelling?) from eye make up especially.... Is that true? How long does it live outside the body? Because now I'm oh so paraniod that I have it...

Beauty Mark

I still am a germaphobe, so I won't buy used cosmetics (BNIB, yes, used, no). The other concern for me is how they treated by their previous owner and how old they are. Stuff like Fluidline or any liquid/cream product can dry up so fast if it's old or not properly cared for. Unless it's an LE item, it's hard to tell when the product was purchased and it's impossible to tell if the previous owner left the items uncapped.

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkriss
I heard that blepheritis(spelling?) from eye make up especially.... Is that true? How long does it live outside the body? Because now I'm oh so paraniod that I have it...

blepheritis (AKA a stye) is a bacterial infection of the eye, inflammation of the eyelid. Styes are commonly contracted even just by touching or scratching your eye with unwashed hands (not just from used makeup). usually your eyelid becomes super swollen, usually to one side or the other and when you flip your eyelid up it looks like a little whitehead underneath. you eye tends to tear a little also in response to the inflammation. ive had a few (only since i started dorming since dorms are filthy... lysol is a girls best friend nowadays).

if you do seem to have a stye and it does not go away or pop within a few days, go see a doctor. but wet a washcloth with warm saline water and ring it out and hold it over your eye for a few minutes each night (to encourage the stye to pop). dont touch it and i suggest not wearing eyemakeup for the next few days until it resolves itself or you go to the doctor.

but i just wanted to make a note that bacteria is everywhere. even on and in our bodies at all time. various forms staphyloccoci and streptococci are part of our natural skin microbiata and e.coli is part of the natural microbiata in our digestive system. there are tons of bacterial on your keyboard and you mouse and your clothes and in the air. on door knobs and desks and counters. you get the idea. and with this in mind, you should also remember that your body has evolved and been designed with an intensive immune and defense system against these bacteria, otherwise we would be sick 24/7 withg multiple infections everyday of our lives if we didnt have these things. what im saying is that as paranoid as everyone is about everything, its not necessary to sterilize every little thing in this world, only just to keep it at least sanitary. i have seen on this thread that people are super concerned about sterilizing their makeup and wanting to kill everybit of bacteria in it, but at the same time, there is probably more virulent bacteria on your hand or your face right now than on that makeup.

i understand the concern and the phobia, but hey to each his own. if you are super concerned about bacteria, then thats all you.

Wannabe Junkie

Quote:
but i just wanted to make a note that bacteria is everywhere. even on and in our bodies at all time. various forms staphyloccoci and streptococci are part of our natural skin microbiata and e.coli is part of the natural microbiata in our digestive system. there are tons of bacterial on your keyboard and you mouse and your clothes and in the air. on door knobs and desks and counters. you get the idea. and with this in mind, you should also remember that your body has evolved and been designed with an intensive immune and defense system against these bacteria, otherwise we would be sick 24/7 withg multiple infections everyday of our lives if we didnt have these things. what im saying is that as paranoid as everyone is about everything, its not necessary to sterilize every little thing in this world, only just to keep it at least sanitary. i have seen on this thread that people are super concerned about sterilizing their makeup and wanting to kill everybit of bacteria in it, but at the same time, there is probably more virulent bacteria on your hand or your face right now than on that makeup.

i understand the concern and the phobia, but hey to each his own. if you are super concerned about bacteria, then thats all you.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. The 'germs' that you would have on make up would be normal, commensal skin bacteria - i.e. things that are always living on your body. They really wouldn't be a problem unless you were applying them to broken skin. As has already been said viruses aren't able to live outside of a host (well there are some exceptions but they don't live for long) so would not survive on inanimate objects like make up. I wouldn't have any particular objection to buying used products because of this.

(I should add skin microbiology is the area I work, I've cultured a lot of bacteria from peoples skin, so I'm a bit
nerd.gif
about it too!)

1165Cheryl

I'm with panda on this one..the only thing I would buy used would be pigment and that would depend on how they used it. Since I sell samples I wouldnt buy a used jar and re-sell it but would buy one for my own personal use. As long as it was used without someone always putting their brush in the jar then it would be OK. I've bought 1/2 jars before from someone who used the 1st 1/2 as samples or poured it out to keep 1/2 for themself. I have bought 1 or 2 palette shadows before that were used 1-2 times and I was able to sterilize it. GOOD NEWS, MY COMPUTER IS FIXED AND WILL BE HOOKED UP TONIGHT SO I'LL BE BACK ON A REGULAR BASIS SOON
cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I never buy used lip products, mascaras etc. I have and would buy again used pigments though, especially if it was something I was having trouble getting, e/s probably as well and MSFs I have no problems with, so long as I know they are used.

Latest posts