I almost died from heart failure

Babylard

Hey everyone, its been a long time since i've been on specktra. i miss all of you guys and specktra. Here's what happened to me
ssad.gif

I was suppose to be vacationing in vancouver for 2 weeks, but i got very very sick. It started out with a headache. The next day I was vomiting. The next day I had shortness of breath and my heart started hurting. I went to the doctor and he gave me some medication and I went for an X-ray.

6AM the next morning, my parents rushed me to the burnaby hospital because my pain was getting worse. I was sitting around and waiting for the nurse. I had X-rays taken, my blood taken, etc. I was waiting around 8AM and I felt light headed and I fainted. My memory ends there, until I woke up at St. Paul's Hospital at the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. I was 19 at the time (turned 20 on May 14 - had my birthday in the hospital) and I had heart failure.

During my memory gap, I was transfered to Columbia hospital in new westminister and had major heart surgery. I died for nearly an hour; that is my heart completely stopped. I'm lucky because they were able to bring me back. Several people have died from what I had. I caught a virus that attacked my heart and caused my left ventricle to swell and cause my heart to not be able to pump blood to the rest of my body. The nurses didn't think I would make it. I feel sad for my family, because I could not imagine how they must have felt. I was totally passed out during this time.

I have a mechanical pump in my heart called an LVAD (left ventricle assisting device) in my chest. It helps my heart pump out blood. It's very painful right now because I am still recovering. I just left the hospital on May 27 and I'm at home now. It's really difficult to live with, because I have a controller that I have to carry around with me and clip to my waist. I also have to always be connected to a power source. When I sleep, I am connected to a base unit. If I want to move around, I require 2 batteries that are freaken big and heavy
ssad.gif
I have crazy medications to take. What sucks the most is my left leg is numb from the surgery. I had an echmo machine attached to my left side which caused some nerve compression and now my foot is always so swollen and it makes walking difficult.

The nurses at the intensive care unit were reall sweet to me. They baby me since I'm so young and i think they got really attached to me. Most of the patients are older folks and I had a hard time sleeping in the big room separated by curtains. It was horrible, but they moved me to a special room with TV, so that was cool.

Anyways, I just want to ask everyone to take the time and be thankful for your health. I'm so crippled, its silly. My left leg is numb and i can hardly walk. I'm as weak as a baby and I gotta carry heavy ass batteries if I am to leave my bedroom.

anyhow, that was long.. I'll end it there but argh... I'm still in a lot of pain but I am recovering.

I want to say hi to nahgiggles. I had fun chatting about MAC with you, and I'm sorry to disappear so suddenly.
ssad.gif
Enjoy the Stila!

<3 Anna the cripple

YvetteJeannine

Wow. It sounds as if you've been through quite an ordeal. I am very glad you're here to tell us about it.

Did they say what virus it was, and where you may have caught it?

Also, did you have any edema (swelling) in your legs/ankles prior to/along with the other signs and symptoms?? Just wondering, 'cause if so, the docs/nurses should have caught that.

In fact, I'm pretty shocked you actually had to WAIT in the E.R. after you got that bad.

Hope you're feeling better. Good to have you back.

User93

Girl thats really sad to hear.. I just wanted to tell you.. Everything gonna be ok! Of course you are in pain now, and lost, but thats because it all happened not long time ago. You will only get better and better. I'm really so sorry te hear it all happened to you
ssad.gif
If you are home lonely spectra is always here for you to chat and hang around. Just try not to get depressed, and know it will only get better! For sure it will. *hugs*

redambition

My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery. Give your body some time to recuperate and your mind some time to process all this information. Things will get better!

Welcome back, too
smiles.gif

talste

Oh that sounds awful, you poor thing
ssad.gif

I'm sending some good thoughts & blessings your way !!!

Hope you feel better soon.

nunu

i am so sorry you have gone through this and that you are still going through it! I wish you get your health back soon. I'll keep you in my prayers.

th_hug.gif

gigglegirl

oh my god Anna! I was totally going to email you to see where you went, I cannot believe this girl. Know that I am sending you good vibes here from your "second" city. Do you need any help with the university? have you been able to call/talk to them and do whatever necessary for those summer classes? pm me if you need anything here! seriously!

I'm going to PM you and give you my e-mail addy.

*hugs*

Hannah

I am so sorry this happened to you! Thanks for sharing and I wish you a speedy recovery

breechan

Wow! I'm speechless reading this. I hope you are feeling better soon. You are lucky that you are young and can bounce back from something like this. Keep thinking positive and you'll feel better in no time.
thmbup.gif

laguayaca

I am so glad you made it and are sharing your story with us we have so much we take for granted and I thank you reminding us of how lucky we are to be healthy, May God bless you and your family in many ways to come...welsome back!

user79

All the best to you, what a shock that must have been! Really hope you get better soon.

Janice

Thank you for updating us on your situation Anna and letting us know how important it is to enjoy the one thing many of us have and take for granted - our health.

Please let us know if you ever need anything to lift your spirits. We're here for you, let us be the distraction from the mundane.
th_hug.gif

natalie75

What an awful shock for you and your family, you will be in my prayers. Thank you for taking the time through it all to remind us how important each and every day is.
BIG HUGS {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}

CantAffordMAC

OMG I'm sorry this has happened to you. I was wondering where you were...

I'm so glad you're okay! I can't believe this has happened to you
ssad.gif

th_cheerup.gif

rbella

I am so sorry this has happened to you. You should know that you are an inspiration. The fact that you have survived this awful ordeal and are able to share your story with others is amazing. I have so much respect for you and truly wish you and your family the best. Many wishes for a speedy and pain-free recovery.

Latest posts