I Am So Annoyed

Chelsea

I had a couple mac interviews a month and a bit ago.. well today I saw a girl at the counter who was in my group interview. She hardly talked at all in the group interview and she had NO makeup experience and NO sales experience and horrible makeup! Well there she was working at mac. And they didn't hire ME! Gah.

caffn8me

That sucks but perhaps she had lots of retail experience or she knew the people at the counter very well and it was a foregone conclusion that she'd get the job.

Chelsea

I said in the original pst she didnt have experience. And they know me pretty well at the counter.. I know mac inside out backwards and upside down.

caffn8me

That's really bad news. Perhaps they thought that with your experience and qualifications you'd be more expensive to employ. I love all the work of yours that I've seen - you are good. Keep trying and hopefully you'll get a post at a proper M·A·C store rather than a counter before too long. Good luck!

Jude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea
I had a couple mac interviews a month and a bit ago.. well today I saw a girl at the counter who was in my group interview. She hardly talked at all in the group interview and she had NO makeup experience and NO sales experience and horrible makeup! Well there she was working at mac. And they didn't hire ME! Gah.

I'm annoyed for you too. Especially after seeing the work you have done. It sucks when mediocrity is rewarded and talent is overlooked.
ssad.gif

(((hugs)))

user3

I know this won't help much but honestly, Chelsea it's their loss!

You rock and they really missed on some major talent!

user4

that's really unfair... maybe she knew someone that worked there or something... it sucks that a lot of the times its about who you know and not what you can do!!! sucks... sorry!

exodus

Seriously, all the MAC counters here (in Australia) have blonde teenagers with garish makeup, bad attitude and no knowledge of the products whatsoever. On top of that, they REALLY don't seem to like assisting customers. As a result I hate going there, I only go there every release date to buy everything and that's it, and even then, when I spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars (retail prices here are almost double the US prices), they STILL treat me like I'm there to steal or something! Argh! No bloody wonder, if they hire people with no experience over you! What the hell is their sales strategy?? I feel so frustrated for you!

pinkfeet

Yeah sometimes its WHO you know not WHAT you know.
th_confused_new.gif

If its any consulation I know several people who work at MAC and its not the end all be all everyone thinks it is ...after working in cosmetics for several years - we all wanted to work at MAC and several went there and now, I have no desire to work in cosmetics, even MAC - ever.

But if you are still interested just keep trying. The only thing I am interested in now is buying make up and never working in retail again in my life and waiting on teenagers who ask " can you do my eyes?" But thats me
lol.gif

Demosthenes

That's so stupid.
ssad.gif
I figured you'd be a shoe-in. If they hired her, it's probably because she was someone's friend/sister/cousin. It's very rare for MAC to hire complete newbies.

pale blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes
That's so stupid.
ssad.gif
I figured you'd be a shoe-in. If they hired her, it's probably because she was someone's friend/sister/cousin. It's very rare for MAC to hire complete newbies.

The counter by me just recently hired 2-3 newb's to work for MAC, but in this case they were also desperate for help. I guess it varies...

msthrope

the calgary MAC counters suck by and large. the only counter i will go to (unless i am in a serious tight spot) is the one dowtown because i think the staff at the others is largely rude/weak.

midnightlouise

That's just sick and wrong. The only thing I could think of would be that maybe they thought you were overqualified. And really, that's stupid not to hire people who are overqualified if they are willing to work! Maybe they're just too darn cheap to pay you what you're worth. (which is alot!!!) Then again, maybe they wanted someone who's crap so they can brainwash her into doing everything their way instead of the best way....Sounds like a bad plot from a horror novel, but look at all the corporate stooges in the world and it starts making sense lol!

vampygirl

well screw them!
finger.gif

Seriously though- I have seen your work on MUA and here many times and I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

It may also have been some type of 'someone knows her' thing. I applied for a job recently and was fully qualified and I got the 'we'll cal you' thing.

Keep your chin up. We all know your talents!
smiles.gif

MACgirl

uhhhh that sux chels!! Like someone said above she proab had some pull within that mac, which is proab why she felt she didnt have to be the best at makeup or even speak for that matter. I have seen what you could do and they are outta thier mind for not giving you the position first. Dont worry youll get it, i know u will!

anniewayz

Have you tried speaking to the manager or a higher supervisorabout that? I mean if you obviously have the skills and they don't, and they got it because their mom or aunt or whoever has connections, that isn't fair.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus
Seriously, all the MAC counters here (in Australia) have blonde teenagers with garish makeup, bad attitude and no knowledge of the products whatsoever. On top of that, they REALLY don't seem to like assisting customers. As a result I hate going there, I only go there every release date to buy everything and that's it, and even then, when I spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars (retail prices here are almost double the US prices), they STILL treat me like I'm there to steal or something! Argh! No bloody wonder, if they hire people with no experience over you! What the hell is their sales strategy?? I feel so frustrated for you!

This is the exact same experience I have with MAC in Oz. That's why I mail order mine. The ones in the department stores are worst: they can see you need help but just ignore you.

Chelsea, did you ask them why you weren't considered for the job? Can you get any feedback?

joytheobscure

Quote:
I said in the original pst she didnt have experience. And they know me pretty well at the counter.. I know mac inside out backwards and upside down.

Maybe you scare them with your superior knowledge??? I think your makeup is just awesome. I know when I go to the mac counter anymore they know me and say things like 'you have more than I do."

I've discovered in getting jobs its really more in who you know - maybe the girl knew a higher up on the list or was someones daughter?

Hilary

Quote:

I saw on another board recently that MAC seem to be hiring people based on their image these days. Maybe you just didnt fit the image they want...It must be heart-breaking for you though considering you really wanted the job

Latest posts