I Have Keratosis Pilaris

CantAffordMAC

Keratosis pilaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't been to a Dr. Or been diagnosed. but this has absolutely got to be what i have all over my arms.

Ever since I was a kid I had these little pimple type things on my arms, and my mom always told me they were heat bumps. Well they never went away and I started messing with them years ago and now my arms are so scarred up and disgusting....I am embarrassed to even show them, ever.

I decided to google "bumps on arms" today, and when this keratosis pilaris showed up....I knew this had to be what i have had all my life. It may not seem like a big deal to most. But reading all about the condition and people who suffer from it.....was just so relieving. I actually started crying. because this is so embarrassing and ugly and I am so self conscious about it. Its so good to know I'm not the only one and that people understand how I feel....

Unfortunately theres not much i can do about it, except for try to exfoliate and use a cream such as Amlactin. All I can is hope that these ideas work on me...I have been suffering from ugly arms my whole entire life, and I seriously envy people with clear, normal arms. Its such a weird thing to envy people for, but I have never known what its like to have clear arms
ssad.gif
I know this sounds super dumb of me, I am just somewhat relieved to finally know what this is (not acne, not heat bumps...) but an actual condition that people suffer from. It just sucks that theres nothing I can do for it

Just wanted to share this....and by any chance if anyone on specktra happened to have the same issue. I doubt it...but you never know
winks.gif

urbanlilyfairy

GIrl ...I never knew that what that was called..I have that too on my upper arms..and have a cousin that has it really bad on her arms..crap I think my mom does too ..and I have a freind who was just complaining recently about the bumps on her arm. Im starting to think this is pretty common ailemnt ? Good to know it has name ahh.. Over time I just forget about it ..and since mine is limited to the top sides of my arms I just don't really wear tank tops out ..and on most days I don't really stress about it.

Good luck too you ..I hope it gets better for you and over time the effects it has on you emotionally will be less.

hugs

aziajs

You are not alone. It's very common in women of color because of the texture of our hair. I have it too. It just started a few years ago. I went to a dermatologist and she didn't know what it was. I ended up going to another doctor for something completely unrelated and asked and she told me what it was. I wouldn't stress too much. Get your AmLactin and see if you can get a cream that fades hyperpigmentation. Or you could try cocoa butter or shea butter because they sometimes fade dark areas of the skin.

CantAffordMAC

jawdrop.gif

LoL I didnt know this was common at alllll. I've never met someone with my same problem. Aww you girls are so sweet!

And MAC Head... Omg! There are actually products for this!! Whaaaat?!? Omg you have absolutely made my friggin life. Wow, thank you so much. They are expensive as all get out but this is important to me
yes.gif

erine1881

i've got it too. i started a few years ago during the summer, and never went away. go to a dermatologist and get diagnosed officially. they'll prescribe something for you. mine did, but i've been too lazy to apply the cream. i've got so many other medical problems to worry about, and my eczema is much more of a concern than my KP. i use a loofa everyday in the shower, and that hasn't helped much, for me at least. that and using a prescribed cream is your best bet at getting rid of, if not minimizing, the bumps and red spots. besides, you don't wanna put something on it that isn't prescribed for it for fear of making it worse, if that is indeed what it is.

thankfully being an esthetician i used my knowledge to diagnose that and peri-oral dermatitis. i went to the derm since it was getting worse, and what my GP diagnosed/presribed made it worse, and it was confirmed that i had PD and KP.

good luck.
thmbup.gif

hhunt2

I have the same problem! And I have a cure!

I have a few business associates who are naturopaths (the easiest way to discribe a naturopath is a "doctor of nature"; they use supplements in the form of medications). One of the gals told me it is yeast in the body that causes those "bumps". A supplement called Jarrow Formula Bifibus Balance + FOS was recommended. Here's the link: http://www.jarrow.com/product/118/Bifidus_Balance_FOS

Bifibus Balance is a probiotic that will eat the extra yeast in your body and cause the bumps to lessen. Unfortunatly, I have not tried it. BUT, I will be the guinea pig for all y'all people with this bump problem. I'm so sick of them so I'm willing to do whatever.

My mom has these bumps on her arms, and unfortunatly I got it. All my life I have been so self conscious about this problem. All through out middle school and high school I would never wear short sleeved shirts (3/4th sleeves would be the shortest) or I would wear a sweater (even when its hot outside). Through out my teen years, these bumps prevented me from getting a boyfriend. I recall when I was 19, I attended my cousins wedding (as a bridesmade), one guy that I went on a few dates with was there. He saw my arms, and said "oh wow! Did you get sunburned?" . I just went with it and said, "yeah, the sun messes up my skin". Now a days, I've pinched the shit out of these bumps to the point where my arms look like a cork board.
I will keep you guys updated with the results of the supplement.

Here's a website that has lotions for "chicken skin", an article & FAQ's:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/Conditiondetail74.asp?WID=%7BDAF5E127%2D6A07%2D4DE 5%2D932D%2DC8486F6A2D3E%7D

jade mahrie

Hey Miss MAC! I have this same problem.. on the backs of my upper legs also =/ Dont feel bad <3

Formerly, known as itsJADEbiitch

Ambonee

thmbdn.gif
Add another one to list
ssad.gif
I've had it most of my life. It started on the upper arms and have now spread down and covered my entire arms up and down
ssad.gif
My mom has it too. I was always told by my doctor that it was an allergy to the sun and to wear long sleeves...yeah in California where it get's up to 110 degrees in the summer...right...

I just recently started using a line from Sephora specifically for KP and it's by DERMAdoctor. I Like the scrub which you use twice a week and the moisturizing therapy which you use twice a day (I'm so not good at routines) and with this you are really sensitive to the sun so you NEED to wear sunblock, which by the way did wonders when I was working at the Chanel counter last summer, I would use Clarins sunblock and I swear after a week of using sunblock on my arms my arms improved a lot! bleh! I just need to get back on my DERMAdoctor routine because it had great reviews and seems to help when I actually use it lol.

But if any of you ladies do actually find something GREAT please DO share *bats eyes*
smiles.gif

laneyyy

Oh my... This has always been a problem my WHOLE life. I can realte to most of you ladies as well. It started just on the back of my upper arms, but as the years went by, it just spread, and spread, and SPREAD!!!
angry.gif
It is horrible. I find myself getting so upset over this, and looking at myself in disgust. I can tell you EVERYTHING you are not supposed to do, because I have done it ALL in a desparate attemp to rid myself of these nasty "bumpy, rough, red, diseased-looking" arms. I have waxed, shaved(ugh DO NOT SHAVE your arms if you have this ish), I have literally scrubed my arms with a pumice stone till they were bleeding, exfoliated, used all types of loofahs, all types of lotions... etc etc etc... Now, things I have found helpful are tanning (which I do religiously, I know that years down the road I am going to pay for it, but It DOES help, something in the sunlight breaks down the extra proteins getting stuck in the hair follicals), and I have found that Dove's Pro-Age body wash hels soften the skin, and reduces the appearance of the bumps. I have never heard of the KP line at Sephora, so you can bet your bottom dollar I am going to be ordering tht stuff PDQ. I hope that you(and the rest of us KP sufferers) can find some relief. It really is a burden, and I know how you feel. I hope that I had some useful information.
tong.gif

M.A.C. head.

I've had it all over my upper arms since as long as I can remember. I didn't really notice it until I hit that stage where you notice every thing "bad" about yourself :/ LOL My mom took me to a derm and the Dr told us about that product I posted earlier. I only used the product for a short period of time [absent minded] but the bumps are WAY lighter and less noticeable than they used to be. In fact, I honestly hadn't really noticed or thought of my KP since my early high school years, and that was a while ago for me.

I recommend that you ladies that have KP give it a try if you can get by a Sephora, or order it online. I only used the lotion, so I imagine that you might get better results with a variety of product.

kobri

I am an esthetician and I see this all the time! You probably just think you are alone because it isn't as noticeable on someone else as it is when you see it on yourself. Also people who have it aren't usually walking around in sleeveless tops when it is bad. You've already gotten plenty of advice, just wanted to reasure you that this is WAY common!

sinergy

I have it too! When I was younger it was worse and I used to have it on my thighs as well as my upper arms, but yea I was just advised to use an exfoliator and it isnt as bad as it used to be.

concertina

Yep, I 've got that. I think its something like 75% of people have it to some degree. But that first link provided? Seriously check that out if you're as self-concious as you say...you shouldn't have to live like that. *hug*

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
I just recently started using a line from Sephora specifically for KP and it's by DERMAdoctor. I Like the scrub which you use twice a week and the moisturizing therapy which you use twice a day (I'm so not good at routines) and with this you are really sensitive to the sun so you NEED to wear sunblock, which by the way did wonders when I was working at the Chanel counter last summer, I would use Clarins sunblock and I swear after a week of using sunblock on my arms my arms improved a lot! bleh! I just need to get back on my DERMAdoctor routine because it had great reviews and seems to help when I actually use it lol.

But if any of you ladies do actually find something GREAT please DO share *bats eyes*
smiles.gif

see thats what i dont get....they say tanning is good for it...but then with these products, you have to be careful of sunlight? That will be hard for me...because I had planned on tanning several more times this summer and using the products as well.

Thank you guys so much. i cant believe so many people have this. I have gotten so many rude remarks it just makes me feel awful. But I will buy the stuff ASAP!

OohJeannie

WOW....I have this too. Just didnt know what it was.. I just kept trying different body scrubs n nada
Im so going to purchase AmLactin tomorrow. Wow Thanks!

pr1nces583

i have had KP for as long as i remember, on my upper arms and legs, back, and face. as ive got older it has improved but i have discovered things that help:
exfoliation
moisturising
omega 3,6 and 9 capsules
a little sunshine (not burning! and wear sunscreen!)

MissDeViousDiVa

Thank you thank you thank you for making this thread!
smiles.gif

I have it too and I didn't know that it was common, I only knew that it's hereditary. I'll share what I've had prescribed for it, cause it might help someone here.

- Retin- A & some prescription lotion (forgot the name)
Yea this suckeddddddddddd. The Retin-A burned my arm and it hurt. I tried this years ago and even now when I look at my arm, I can see a lil line with a difference in color from where I put this on and where I didn't.

- Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1% (haha that long thing is what's on the box).
I went to a diff derm and asked about it again and she asked me what bothered me most, the bumps or color so I said color and got this. I've noticed that it did help but I haven't used it in awhile.

I'll have to check out the Sephora stuff, I didn't know anyone made any products for it. It's expensive though, so I dunno. I don't have any insecurities about it anymore. I've had people diss me up and down for the dumbest shit, even things that aren't true so I don't let what anyone says to me get to me. Anyone who would make a rude remark to you over something like this is a douchebag. At least you know now that it's something a lot of people have.

iliang25

I have it too..I already got tired trying one treatment after the other that somehow made my KP dormant but not totally cured (glytone, murad acne body wash). Exfoliate is a must..I am not worried about it as much as I am worried before.

vocaltest

I have this too...
Personally, I don't find anything really helps. I don't try and use anything on it, but when it does really irritate me, I use this anti-fungal (even though its not fungal) ointment my doc gave me when he misdiagnosed it the first time, which takes it away when its really bad!

Latest posts