I need a new laptop

nursee81

Hey guys I haven't been posting much just been busy with school and work. Especially now that I have had to pick up extra shifts at work due to my DH losing his job about 2 wks ago.
But with all of this going on I need a new laptop a virus took over my old one and it not repairable at all. I was thinking about getting a mac pro. But I just feel guilty spending the money now. I do need it to do my school work while I am at work on my slow day.

I just need some opinions on if I should get a mac or get a regular PC laptop and save about 300-500 possibly but at the end of the day I will be spending that much to get anti virus soft ware so I am just thinking about getting the mac.

Please help.

miss sha

I'd say get the Macbook Pro.
smiles.gif

I had a Macbook, then bought a new Dell laptop when that one wore out, but I like to play games, so the more powerful Dell was a better choice for me. Macs aren't perfect though, and what you don't pay for in antivirus software, you might pay for in hardware. Granted, Applecare (you HAVE to get it, it saves you so much money in the long run!) takes care of hardware repairs as long as they weren't accidents. The Mac power adapters are very delicate and I went through four in the two and a half years I steadily used my Macbook.

I also had problems with my CD drive and had a total harddrive failure, but Applecare replaced both for free.

Besides hardware problems I've had, Macs are sooo easy to use, especially for the most basic users. They're just overpriced.
lol.gif
Any upgrades that you can do yourself (ESPECIALLY memory!) you should opt out of upgrading when you order because Apple will definitely gouge you for it.

On the other hand, if you do decided to stick with Windows, there are lots of free/very cheap antivirus programs out there. You don't need to stick to McAfee! I personally love MalwareBytes.

kdemers1221

i have a macbook that i got last june as an anniversay present from my boyfriend. it was the best switch ever. i won't ever buy another pc. Macs are so easy to use and within a week I was comfortably manuvering the operating system. my computer was a refurbed macbook (the white one) and it saved him about $200. i still bought apple care and my computer came with the basic warrenty. the thing about apple refurbed products is that they are usually returns from customers who recieved the wrong product or they exchanged it. they obviously can't sell it as new so it gets the refurbed price. if you go to the apple website and search for refurbs you can find all the computers they have and read about them. Or go to an apple store. the apple geniuses are very helpful.

i'm not bashing windows but they're def not worth the headache and macs are def worth the extra money. I've had my computer for a year already with no issues at all.

I hope this helped! and good luck computer hunting.

alka1

another vote for the macbook. it may seem a bit pricey in comparison to cheap laptop pcs, but the extra bucks are worth it. you won't regret it once you start using MAC OSX
smiles.gif

gildedangel

I say don't go for a MacBook. My Dad just got one and he HATES it, he thinks it is an absolute piece of crap considering he paid so much for it. There are comparible laptops out there for a cheaper price. I'm not saying that Macs aren't cool, they just aren't worth the money for what you get. You get a lot of "fluff" and not a lot of substance.

miss sha

^^ Despite my recommendation, I agree with this.
lol.gif

You pay for the name, the OS, and the aesthetic when you buy a Macbook. I can attest that their hardware reliability isn't the best, given the heavy duty overhauls I needed in less than three years of owning my Macbook. While Applecare DOES take care of those things for free (for three years, anyway!) that my Mac even needed a new CD-drive, a new harddrive, a new battery, and several power adapters in such a short time is a pretty strong testament to their dependability of their hardware--or lack thereof.

Honestly, if you want very strong specs without paying a lot (my 17", 4GB of ram, 320GB harddrive, with 3650HD videocard was less than $900--I'm pretty sure that even the most barebones 13" Macbook isn't this low) get a PC. But if you really love the look and feel of the Mac OS (and it is awesome indeed!) and don't mind paying extra to get it, go ahead with the Macbook Pro.

astronaut

I say go for a macbook, not the macbook pro. I have the 17" macbook pro and if I could choose again, I would have bought the cheapest macbook and the iMac. I could have bought two of those for the same price of the macbook pro I have now. On top of that, my 17" is pretty heavy. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a notebook.

I think macs are much easier to use and of course more attractive. Not having to worry about viruses is a super plus.

I've had my macbook since spring 2007 and it's running fine. My macbook is out of warranty and I didn't purchase apple care. My battery was defective and they replaced it for me after I used it for 2 years. The cord on my battery charger was wearing and they replaced that for me too. The charger is again not working so they replaced that for me as well. Some of my keys have popped off and broke because my dog jumped on my notebook. They also replace those for me. All for free and out of warranty. Of course if my actual macbook broke they probably wouldn't cover for me. I like being able to go to the apple store when I have a problem and talk to someone face to face instead of talking on the phone with someone thousands and thousands of miles away in another country. I think they seem more lenient that way too when it comes to fixing things for you for free. I'd be lying if I said that the macbook is 100% durable, but they're pretty good in replacing and fixing things for you.

My friend has gone through 4 HP laptops since fall of 2007 because they all broke or something. It's not like she's negligent either. I probably abuse my macbook a lot more than she does with her laptops. She's going to get a macbook next.

nursee81

I have a iMac already and love it to death. thats why i think i am leaning more towards the mac lap top. Thanks for all the responds.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
I have a iMac already and love it to death. thats why i think i am leaning more towards the mac lap top. Thanks for all the responds.

oh so you are already familiar with the OS then
smiles.gif
the new macbooks area amazing - mine is 4 years old but still going strong and works great. absolutely no problems with mine.. the new ones have really great features though, like the multi-touch trackpad and new screens.

I didn't buy mine because of the name or because they look pretty.. I bought mine because the software is very user-friendly and intuitive.

however if you're short on money right now, an inexpensive pc laptop might be fine as a temporary replacement. it depends on your needs and what you use your computer for
smiles.gif

Ruby_Woo

My hubby has a Macbook Pro for his film/school work. It works really well and its cool, but if you don't need any of the fancy stuff, get a dell.

I really wanna sell my desktop to get a dell laptop. I got a flyer in the mail and they have some for like $500 w/ a built in camara! Ah! I want one so bad!

Specially if money is tight, and its not a necessity, but a luxury, I'd just go w/ the Dell. Trust me that till this day sometimes Im like "damn! I can't believe you spent that much on that thing!" not including the damn editing program (Final Cut Pro) that cost just as much lol.

nursee81

I keep going back and forth on what to get. I do need a laptop to take with me to work and on vacations since I do my classes on line. I don't want to sell myself short in the end and regret either spending to much or wishing I had gotten the macbook or mac pro.
I think if he still had his job I would be an easier choice. I really hopes he finds a new one soon.

xsnowwhite

I recently got a laptop its an HP pavillion dv4-1225dx entertainment pc (listed right on it, good thing
smiles.gif
)and LOVE it! I think macs are way overpriced and you can save lots of money going the pc route.

miss sha

If you need something portable, have you considered getting a netbook? They're tiny so they're super portable, though they come with the most barebones of specs (most don't even have CD drives). If all you need is word processing and internet and money's tight, I'd go with one of those, since most of them run under $500, some as low as $200-300.

Of course, Mac hasn't come out with one yet so you'd have to get a PC.
lol.gif

nursee81

I was thinking about a netbook but I need to upload CD's from my text books so most of them wouldn't work. I will going shopping this wkend so I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

astronaut

I'd buy the notebook from Amazon. For most states, NO TAX! That'll save you at least $100 or so. Or student discount online (even if you aren't a student, pick a random school) if you decide on an macbook. The Apple Store (U.S.)

nursee81

Thanks for the input guys I decided to go with the MAC pro 13 inch and I love it. I am very happy with my choice.

Latest posts