I'm so stress =[

lazytolove

Just because English is my second language and i have no mouth to argue with one of my professor.

There's something in her eyes is telling me that she hates me just because of my skin color. She's so friendly to other classmates and never smile to me friend and I. She hates me on since day one of class. She walks around the class to check homework and did not come to my group table, it just because we all "Asian", she was like "ops i forgot" but we knew she did that on purpose. Today I got my homework back and got a big fat ZERO with a note "you copy from M***" sorry i'm not allow to type out my friend's name =]. I came straight to her desk and asked her why i got a zero and she quickly yelled out to the class just to make me look bad "if you do that in the medical field, you will lose your job and that will consider cheating". Deep in side, i don't know what i did wrong.

So here's the homework. We suppose to make a copy of an insurrance card. And she said "if you don't have one, you can borrow from someone else". Seriously, here's something i really hate to tell someone... "i don't have health insurance". So my friend let me borrow her and it turns out we have the same homework paper. The problem is, she did not tell me that "you can borrow from someone else BUT NOT SOMEONE IN CLASS". So that's a big misunderstood. I hate the fact that she's trying to prove that she's right and knowlegable. I'm a student and i have no right and not educate enough to argue with her. Should i talk to the dean about this issue?

Today in class, i was very upset. I never feel piss off like this. I cried like a kid and the whole class feel very sorry for me. =[

breechan

I know how you feel. I work in Japan, and Japanese is my 3rd language. Sometimes when a problem or misunderstanding comes up, I get flustered and its hard to explain myself exactly.

My advice is for you to write down everything you are feeling. Take the time to translate it all into English, and get a friend to check it. Then, you can talk to the dean. You will have all the information in front of you, and if you get upset or nervous, you have the paper.

The teacher might be horrible, or it might be a lot of misunderstandings.

Good luck!
yes.gif

enjoybeingagirl

I think you should talk to the dean ... treating you differently because of the color of your skin or your ethnicity is horrible! Your teacher can get in big trouble for that - especially if your other friends can confirm that what you are saying is true. I hope you get this figured out. Good luck!
smiles.gif

FullWroth

The homework thing specifically, I think it might be a misunderstanding. Unfortunately, even in college, people cheat a LOT and copy off their friends, so if she saw the exact same insurance papers on two similar assignments, she would logically conclude that you were copying off the other person. The other stuff I don't know about, maybe you're misunderstanding her there too, but the homework thing specifically, I can understand why she thought you were cheating, so it sucks, but I wouldn't be too mad at her for it.

I don't know what it's like back home for you, but in America, professors are told to try as hard as they can to get students to understand how serious cheating is, so if she thought you were cheating, telling you very loudly and sternly WOULD be a good idea, because then you'd be embarrassed in front of the class and hopefully you'd realize what a jerk it makes you look like when you get caught cheating. Unfortunately, you DIDN'T cheat, but if you HAD cheated, it would've been a good thing for her to do.

stacylynne

If you feel you are being singled out because of your skin color. Talk to the dean & tell him what's happening in the classroom

User93

Darling please dont be so upset. And try considering this incident like misunderstanding. Really, you just didnt know you cant borrow from the friend from the same class. Try not to spoil relations with her this time, maybe deep inside she agrees she didnt make it clear enough, but cant tell that to you as she's a "teacher" and so on. Dont let this feeling spoil your studies! But if it goes on, something happends again, and you feel discriminated, you gotta tell some autorities.

I have something like that, in my french class there are 4 ppl only, and they all knew french better than me, cause its their 1st foreign language, which they were learning since elementary. And i started it only in highschool, but they put me in the same group in college. So we had a new young teacher, she was very strict, and i had a feeling she hates me for my french. We had to make a homework, and tell our opinion on preziden't marriage. I spent all the evening looking for info and translating it, and the next day she accepts everyone's work, and tells me that i copied everything from internet. And also while retelling some text, she was ok with everyone glancing at the paper exept me, took my text away and left me 1 vs 1 with french... I was so sad, i nearly ran from the class in tears all that times. I was seriously thinking about giving up the whole class and asking to transfer me to the english group, as i speak english pretty decent (who am i kidding lol). But then i started working harder because her attitude made me count on myself only, and she started becoming nicer and nicer to me.. Now she calls my cellphone before the class asking to print her some test materials for other groups as her printer is broken, and used to write me messages on our local facebook, haha.

I'm not sure you gotta go to the dean right now, because this thing could really be just misunderstanding, and her pride didnt let her admit her mistake. And yeah, you will have to study with her still, so, give your relationship 1 more chance. But if it keeps on happening, you gotta tell it for sure. Please dont be so upset. My Mom says such moments "i wish this will be the most sad moment in your life"
th_cheerup.gif
Studing always involves misunderstanding with some teachers, right now i have an awful one aswell, he kills me really, making me re-do works 7 or 8 times, after i did exactly what he told me, says i copy articles from internet etc... A bitchy professor is a must-have of college years, cmon! Who will you recall and curse all your group reunions 10 years later, huh?
th_LMAO.gif

M.A.C. head.

Definitely have a friend who speaks fluent English help you write a letter to the dean. Please ask some of your classmates who were present when she yelled at you to support you. They can be witnesses. They heard her say that you could use someone elses, they also probably know that she didn't say that it couldn't be a person that had the same class.

I'm so sorry you're being treated this way
ssad.gif
It's not fair. Just ask for help! Talk to the dean, please.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

purrtykitty

Alibi has a good point...the best "revenge" would be to just work even harder and show her that you deserve to be there. Since there is a bit of a language barrier, misunderstandings are going to occur. ITA with what others said about befriending an English-speaking student to make sure you really understand what you're supposed to be doing.

If you really feel like your teacher is discriminating against you and you're friends, then you might have a little chat with the dean. But I would first try making sure that you're understanding everything that she's expecting first...again, with the language (and possibly even culture barrier) there might be something that you're missing. BTW, I am absolutely not saying anything in your situation is your fault, but it is pretty easy to get upset and really blow things out of proportion. I'd really advise taking a step back and approaching your situation from a different angle...trying other things to help alleviate any possible misunderstandings. Once you've done that and if you still feel you're being treated differently, then I'd have the chat.

lazytolove

Quote:
Originally Posted by breechan
My advice is for you to write down everything you are feeling. Take the time to translate it all into English, and get a friend to check it. Then, you can talk to the dean. You will have all the information in front of you, and if you get upset or nervous, you have the paper.

breechan: This is such a good idea. I never thought of one like that. My problem is, when i express my feeling to someone, it's very hard for me to say it completely but i can type out =]. Thanks

Quote:
I'm not sure you gotta go to the dean right now, because this thing could really be just misunderstanding, and her pride didnt let her admit her mistake. And yeah, you will have to study with her still, so, give your relationship 1 more chance. But if it keeps on happening, you gotta tell it for sure. Please dont be so upset. My Mom says such moments "i wish this will be the most sad moment in your life"
th_cheerup.gif
Studing always involves misunderstanding with some teachers, right now i have an awful one aswell, he kills me really, making me re-do works 7 or 8 times, after i did exactly what he told me, says i copy articles from internet etc... A bitchy professor is a must-have of college years, cmon! Who will you recall and curse all your group reunions 10 years later, huh?

Alibi: What i'm worry is. If i don't talk to the dean and ask for advices and continuing taking her class. I don't know how she will going treat me because i'm patheticly cry in front of class and she will hate me more. Should i write her an email and say some positive stuffs just to make her hate me less?
ssad.gif

Quote:
th_cheerup.gif

M.A.C. head.: I'm truly don't want to get her fired and i know i don't have ability to do that. I just want her to be reasonable and admit that she made a mistake about not being specific with the homework. Other people in class really like her because she's very sweet but a lil boring lol

THANK YOU SPECKTRA LADIES.
winks.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazytolove
breechan: This is such a good idea. I never thought of one like that. My problem is, when i express my feeling to someone, it's very hard for me to say it completely but i cant type out =].
Other people in class really like her because she's very sweet but a lil boring lol

I think I would talk to her in private or e-mail her before going to the dean. You kinda gave me the idea actually - you said that if you typed things out, you were better able to express yourself, and also that others believe she is sweet. I think this is probably a misunderstanding, and if you are able to calmly tell her what you thought you were doing, and why you thought it was okay, then you give her a chance to understand your side, and tell you her side. I think most professors are very reasonable people, and if you can be open and friendly in expressing yourself, then you may not get the points back, but at least she will know in the future that you are trying to do your own work and not cheat.

I would: a. explain that there had been a misunderstanding with the assignment: you did not have an insurance card, so you had copied the card of a friend in the class. You did not understand that you could not use the card of a friend who was in the class, and if you had known this, you would have definitely borrowed one from someone else.
b. You had no intention to cheat, and are sorry that what you did was perceived as cheating.
c. Are willing to re-do the assignment for whatever amount of credit she sees fit.

Good luck sweetheart
smiles.gif
I hope it goes well, and if she is unwilling to listen to your side or try to come up with some sort of compromise, then perhaps it would be time to pay a visit to the dean.

User93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazytolove
Alibi: What i'm worry is. If i don't talk to the dean and ask for advices and continuing taking her class. I don't know how she will going treat me because i'm patheticly cry in front of class and she will hate me more. Should i write her an email and say some positive stuffs just to make her hate me less?
ssad.gif

winks.gif

Well darling, i would say NO, don't write her anything, because some people can only think you are trying to flatter them, which will make the dislike you more (if she really does). I think, the best thing you can do for now now is chill, and just go on studing, thats your main prioroty for now. And she will see how much effort you put into studies, it will make her like you more for sure. Also, try not to bust into tears, thats hard, but it can piss her off also. But if she sees you're close to busting into tears, but hold on, she will respect you. Try forgeting about this incident, and look how it goes on. Also, please try to be very polite with her, not to sound rough, it's hard cause she offends you, but be a strong girl and show her you're above all this. Give your relationship with her a chance, she will stay your teacher anyways. TRy to forget everything bad, and give this all a fresh look. And of course, if things keep on being like that, you should do the thing other spectrettes told
you - write down all you have in your mind and talk to the dean.

th_cheerup.gif
th_hug.gif

edit: i've just posted, then read duckduck's previous post. Yeah that makes sense aswell, i think if you orgazine your letter like that this can actually work aswell
winks.gif

lazytolove

hi ladies, guess what? i did not go see the dean. My boyfriend told me to try to stay in her class a while. I'll do well to prove that i'm not what she thought i am. =]

Latest posts