IMATS 2011 Pasadena

nychick1384

I am considering attending IMATS next year in Pasadena and I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for minimizing trip costs. I want to minimize my travel costs as much as possible so I have more to spend on makeup, of course
yes.gif

I am considering getting a group of friends together to split hotel costs, but I was wondering if there were certain hotels any of you recommended, or any other money saving tips. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies
th_wink3.gif

Ingenue

All I can tell you for SURE is to make sure you book a hotel IN Pasadena. Despite the recorded distance from any other city into Pasadena, there is no accounting for the traffic. Get as close to the convention center as possible (preferably within walking distance). The thing about Los Angeles Proper (including Pasadena) is that it is HUGE. You'd be hard pressed to get from one place to another without a car.

If you're primarily coming for IMATS then stay in Pasadena. The Westin is decent... (and splittable among friends) so you might want to look there.

Rent a car at or near the airport. And if you can, fly into Burbank (if you're flying domestic). DO NOT fly into LAX unless you really can't swing the ticket fare (about 100.00 difference with some airlines), and make Google Maps your best friend. Trust me on this. I live here and I use LAX as little as possible. There's just too much drama departing and arriving at that place. It'll save you gas (not cheap here) too if you get as close to Pasadena as possible.

MsHaight

This isnt so much money saving as it is time saving, but I would recommend that you buy your tickets and have them shipped to you rather than doing roll call. The line was insane for roll call. I thinking shipping for the tickets was $10 but if you buy them together with your friends and split that then it isnt so bad! Itll be well worth it in the end!

LC

agreed about the will call. the line was like 45 minutes long. totally worth the 10 bucks or whatever it was to ship them to your house. I stayed in a motel 6 to cut costs. it was only like 50 bucks a night or something. I had my car though, so I was able to get a motel further away from the convention center. the closer you get to the convention center, the more expensive your hotel will be.

Ingenue

Make time concessions for traffic and parking. I LIVE here and it was a beast to get parked and into the covention center. IMATS parking was full at 8:30, which is when the thing began.

Wait time was ignorant to get your wristband (45 minutes to an hour) b/c they hadn't anticipated that many people would show up (4,000) and weren't prepared.

Pack patience..
Wait time in the MUFE line was 2 hours by the time show is in full swing.
ssad.gif

LC, Motel 6 ought to be shamed, charging 50 bucks.
angry.gif
That seems so wrong.

Nychic, If you're going to split a room, I always err on the side of a better place to stay. I can't do a Motel 6. Something else would have to get cut, to save $$$.
th_LMAO.gif
It might also be cheaper if you book and pay for the room way ahead of time.

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenue

LC, Motel 6 ought to be shamed, charging 50 bucks.
angry.gif
That seems so wrong.

Nychic, If you're going to split a room, I always err on the side of a better place to stay. I can't do a Motel 6. Something else would have to get cut, to save $$$.
th_LMAO.gif
It might also be cheaper if you book and pay for the room way ahead of time.

I only felt ok staying in the motel 6 cause my husband stayed with me lol!

Ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
I only felt ok staying in the motel 6 cause my husband stayed with me lol!

Yeah, I understand!
yes.gif
I'd never go it alone. I'm just mad they charged 50 bucks. I'm dating myself... but I remember driving past Motel 6's advertising 19.99 a night.

laceface

I actually did a post on this (I swear I'm not trying to advertise myself lol) IMATS LA 2010 – Pic Heavy I really recommend that hotel because it's SOOO close. Besides buying products at IMATS, food is really the only thing I paid for there. We packed food before we drove to Pasadena so it was all very economical. That hotel is on the Old Pasadena strip... so plenty of window shopping!

mommys-makeup

well heck I live about 25 minutes away from down town pasadena, I'd have everybody kick it at my house and make it a slumber party the night before and car pool the day of!!! for those trying to save on hotel etc. and carpool for those trying to avoid traffic, lines etc. just a suggestion! lol!

Nicala

I live about 35 miles away from Pasadena now (used to live like 10, then I moved). I'm just gonna bus my way to pasadena. The metro is a good form of transportation :) It's also 1.50 per ride.

LC

I just booked my hotel for the 24th-26th with the Starwood Sheraton Hotel in Pasadena. It's within walking distance from the convention center, and they're giving IMATS go-ers a special rate for stay there. I also just bought my 2-day IMATS tickets yesterday, yay! The home delivery option isn't available anymore, but the lady who I called on the phone about it assured me that they had a new system for the will call line that will make things go substantially faster..so unfortunately will-call is the only option.

who wants to get together for drinks during that weekend? :)

nychick1384

I think I may have to postpone my trip until next year. Someone keyed my car again at the end of last year and my insurance deductible took a huge chunk out of my IMATS budget.
th_stormy.gif

LC

I think I may have to postpone my trip until next year. Someone keyed my car again at the end of last year and my insurance deductible took a huge chunk out of my IMATS budget.
th_stormy.gif
oh noo...the trip is so far away tho! start saving :)

nychick1384

oh noo...the trip is so far away tho! start saving :)
I'm going to do my best because I really REALLY REALLY want to go. But my mom and I are also hoping to move and IMATS is also right around the time we would move. Needless to say I'm going to do everything I possibly can to get there this year. But...if all else fails that just gives me a little bit longer to save for next year so I'll have even more money to spend at IMATS
th_remoteImage-61.gif

I really hope I get to see all of you lovlies at IMATS this summer
drinkup.gif

mommys-makeup

I'd say a good chunk of my income tax returns is going to IMATS!!! so excited I've never gone cuz I always had to either work or have been broke, but I'm planning AS OF NOW!!!

mommys-makeup

just curious what everyone who is going to IMATS budget is or have spent at past shows. Never been so would you say about $1,000 should be good, not that you would actually spend that whole amount but should be good enough where you wouldnt leave wishing you had bought something and considering I dont have any pro cards? Will they take business cards at any of the venues for discounts? I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

Latest posts