International prices for MAC products

Susanne

I am not sure whether there is already a thread about this topic or not.
But have you ever thought about the prices which we international customers have to pay for MAC products?

This is for example what we pay in Germany:

lipglass $14.00. Here 15.50 € (that are $23.00 converted)

eyeshadow $14.00. Here 15,50 € (that are $23.00 converted)

MSF $24.50. Here 25,00 € (that are $37.00 converted)

blush $17.50. Here 20,50 € (that are $ 30.50 converted)

Of course I know that it depends on the rate of exchange that can change every day.
But I think that we international users not only have a disadvantage because of the releasing delay, we also have to pay much more money for the products when they are released at last.

How do you think about it? And what do other international customers pay for MAC products?

Edit: $ = US $

breechan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are US $ prices you quoted? MAC is actually a Canadian company. I just thought I'd point that out seeing as how the US market would also constitute an international market rather than domestic. However, it's complicated since MAC is part of the EL empire (where is that based anyways?).

I try to buy MAC when I'm in Canada or the USA, rather than here in Japan, where the prices are jacked up about 30%.

Julzie

In Australia, we pay $32AUD for one MAC eye shadow!
MSFs are about $45AUD.
The Slimshines are $35AUD! Crazy prices!

Paramnesia

Yeah make up prices in AUS are outrageous. It really does turn me off buying more stuff from counters/stores here. Ebay is such a better option if you get a reputable seller.

Purity

MAC is really expensive in Sweden, too... These are the prices that I know of so far (1 sek = 0.16 usd, I've converted the prices and rounded them off)

Eyeshadows - 145 sek = $22.50
Studio fix fluid foundation - 250 sek = $39
Technakohl - 145 sek = $22.50
Plush lash mascara - 125 sek = $19.50
Fluidline - 170 sek = $26.50
Blot powder (loose) - 230 sek = $36
#208 brush - 200 sek = $31
Sheertone blush - 205 sek = $32
Lipgeleé - 160 sek = $25
Paint - 180 sek = $28
Mattene lipstick - 175 sek = $27
Lipstick - 170 sek = $26.50
Shadestick - 170 sek = $26.50
Pigment - 210 sek = $32.50
Prep + prime face - 220 sek = $34
Paint pot - 185 sek = $29
Eyebrow pen - 155 sek - $24
Fix+ - 155 sek - $24
Blushcreme - 205 sek - $32
#187 brush - 435 sek - $67.50
#150 large powder brush - 435 sek = $67.50
Hyper real foundation - 260 sek = $40.50
msf - 265 sek = $41
msf natural - 250 sek = $39
foundation pump - 50 sek = $8
Lip liner - 150 sek = $23.50

My dad has promised me a trip tp NY this summer, I really hope we'll go because I will shop MAC like CRAZY over there, both because of the low prices but also because of the pro products (only have counters in Sweden)

Paramnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity
MAC is really expensive in Sweden, too

This is off topic but I've heard over there the taxes are higher but you actually can see where it goes, am I right?
Sorry I was just curious.

Purity

Paramnesia: I think we have like 25% tax or something, included in the price of the products. It's still more expensive than in the US if you exclude the tax, though.

Paramnesia

Quote:
Paramnesia: I think we have like 25% tax or something, included in the price of the products. It's still more expensive than in the US if you exclude the tax, though.

Oh cool, yeah I had heard somewhere that you had higher taxes there but you have pretty good things like health system.
I don't think tax is too bad here but sometimes you do wonder where the money goes.

Purity

Paramnesia: Yeah, we pay 30% income tax aswell. A bit high, but we've got an excellent health system, and it's free to go to school (even university) and you get a study allowance each month from the gounvernment.

gigglegirl

MAC used to be a Canadian company but when it was bought out by Estee Lauder its basically an American brand--headquarters in the US, probably most things created in some lab in the US.

So MAC is cheapest in the US, then I'd say Canada (I used to complain about the differences but seeing some of these Int'l prices, I think I'll be quiet!).

I think you could get it cheaper if you have a friend do a CP for you and mail it to you--but shipping could be a big factor as I looked into this just b/w Us and Canada and it would almost be the same price as I pay here, so unless I do some super huge order, I can just pay the prices here or wait for a road trip.

Paramnesia

Quote:
Paramnesia: Yeah, we pay 30% income tax aswell. A bit high, but we've got an excellent health system, and it's free to go to school (even university) and you get a study allowance each month from the gounvernment.

Oh wow that's awesome.
Compared to the US university is so much more accessible, though uni is not free we have like interest free student loans called HEC's, which we pay back when we earn over something like $38k p.a. Also depending on your/your parents income you can receive a study allowance and rent assistance.

AmberLilith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACJunkie57
In the UK:

eyeshadows, fluidlines etc. are £10 ($20)
lipglosses are £10.50 ($21)
MSFs are £16.50 ($33)

Lipsticks are usually £11 (approx $22)
Full-size pigments £15 (approx $30)
Bushes vary from:
#311 = £12
#225 = £25
#136 = £40
Brush cleaner £7.50

Edit: I'm realising now how much more we're paying in the UK compared to the US!

frostdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
This is for example what we pay in Germany:

lipglass $14.00. Here 15.50 € (that are $23.00 converted)

eyeshadow $14.00. Here 15,50 € (that are $23.00 converted)

MSF $24.50. Here 25,00 € (that are $37.00 converted)

blush $17.50. Here 20,50 € (that are $ 30.50 converted)

in Italy it's about the same (checking my receipts):

Paintpot 18,50 €
Kohl 15€
Eyeshadow 15€
Pan eyeshadow 12€
Premade Quad 39€
Lipstick 17,50€

I used to buy a lot of stuff on eBay either for the low exchange rate or just being able to get LE items, there are too many fakes now and since last year customs also put high import duties on all makeup packages

AmberLilith

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostdoll
I used to buy a lot of stuff on eBay either for the low exchange rate or just being able to get LE items, there are too many fakes now and since last year customs also put high import duties on all makeup packages

I'm getting more worried about fakes now too... I prefer the idea of swapping or CP through communities -or just paying the full price in UK shops!

foxyqt

its not fair that we have to pay so much more =/ when i went to australia during summer i was shocked at the prices! and i thought OUR mac was expensive >_< anyways, heres what we pay converted to US dollars:

eyeshadow: pot $17 / pan $13
lipstick: $20
lipglass: $19
blush: $23
paint pots: $23
MSFs: $29
fluidlines: $20
pigments: $27

to name a few =/

Miss_M

MAC prices are around the same price in the Netherlands as in Germany. Here are a few examples of what we pay (our prices include 19% VAT).

Blush = €19,- ($28,-)
Bronzer = €20,- ($30,-)
Beauty powder = €23,50 ($34,-)
MSF = €23,50 ($34,-)
Select Tint = €24,- ($35,-)
Eyeshadow = €14,50 ($22,-)
Lipglass = €16,75 ($24,-)
Plushglass = €21,- ($31,-)
Lipstick = €17,- ($25,-)
Lipliner = €13,- ($19,-)
Brush cleaner = €10,- ($14,-)
#187 Duo Fibre brush = €50,- ($75,-)
#239 Eye shadow brush = €27,50 ($40,-)

Miss_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
it pisses me off that we have to pay so much more for makeup when other countries get them cheaper :mad:

Oh yeah, the prices in Europe for cosmetics are insane, especially drugstore make-up is getting WAY too expensive. For a few euros more you can buy Clinique and MAC.

It really infuriates me that we pay up to €12,- ($17,-) for a drugstore lipstick and €15,- ($20,-) for a drugstore mascara while they pay only a fraction of the price in the U.S. Don't even get me started on high end cosmetics. A Chanel or Dior mascara is €25,-($34,-) and we pay up to €40,- ($60,-) for a blush or foundation. All prices have doubled since we got that §#!% Euro in 2002
angry.gif

We can't return (used) cosmetics either (so tough luck if you buy the wrong shade foundation) and we can also forget about things like BOGOF's and 50% off sales.

Moonspell

I pay for each eyeshadow 16,50 EUR.
Everything here is so expensive because of the (VAT) Value added tax - 21%
angry.gif

Latest posts