Is it reeeeally that terrible to color coordinate?

cno64

Maybe I'm just an '80s throwback, but I like to match my lip color to my top, unless the top is some completely out-of-the-question color, like blue, green, gray or brown.
In those cases I'll go with a color like rose or pinky red.
I don't do matching eyeshadow; I go for neutral-but-flattering-to-my-eye-color shades there.
My blush is always at least in the same color family as my lip color.
Makeup artists are generally horrified at this practice, but I think it works, unless taken to extremes.
I don't think I'd wear pink eyeshadow, pink blush and pink lipstick together, for example.
What think everyone?

moopoint

I dunno, I'd have to see ya!
I personally never match. My coordination lies between eyeshadows and lips. Like... if I'm wearing wild, bright makeup I wear nude lips, so my look isn't overpowering. But with neutral eyes I wear anything: brown lips, nude lips, pink lips... whatever.

You remind me of this adorable girl I knew. She would wear socks that matched her shirt. Red shirt = Red socks. So cute.

Don't let other people's thoughts affect yours. Do what you like. Your sense of style is prob better than you give it credit.

MrsRjizzle

I find myself doing it quite often actually. I dont wear eye colors with certain tones or colors. I often use the color wheel with clothing as well as makeup. Like if you are wearing a red shirt look at the color wheel for a contrasting color for your makeup... I think either way of doing things is fine as long as your not over the top. I wear a blue shirt. I may wear grey or bluish eyes.

Make whatever rules you want. Trends change every season. So just because a make up artist said you shouldnt 6 months ago doent it mean its not ok today
smiles.gif

Pimpinett

I match my make-up to my clothes. I think of bright lipsticks, eyeshadows and eyeliners in pretty much the same way that I think of accessories in accent colours, it's a splash of colour in the same way that a pair of red shoes, a hot pink bangle or a green sweater is. Most of my wardrobe is black, and I rarely wear more than one or two items in other colours, so I think that picking up the accent colour in my make-up ties it all together. I'm probably overly matchy-matchy, but I like it and I think it works for me, you seem to like it and I'm sure it works for you. That's all that matters, really.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the modern horror of colour co-ordination is every bit as much a trend as colour co-ordination used to be. Matching make-up colours to clothes is breaking the rules now, just like not doing so used to be 25 years ago, and make-up rules are meant to be broken.

panda0410

I do it too sometimes! I've been known to match my Newly Minted or Turquoise matte to a gorgeous tealy-turquoise top I have
th_wink3.gif
I dont care what other people think
greengrin.gif

jennyfee

I also do it... Although most of the time it's not perfectly matchy, like for example I would never wear purple eyes with a red top, because it just doesnt match IMO... So i wear matching, flattering colors...

Simply Elegant

I like to make sure the makeup compliments my clothes but I never match. I match my makeup to the same type of colour though because if I don't, it really clashes. Warm toned clothes=warm toned eyes= warm toned lips= warm toned cheeks. But if I wear a purple top for example, I'm not going to wear purples on my eyes.

mmmakeup

Like a few others have said, do whatever you like, and sod anyone posing hard and fast "rules" that you absolutely must follow. Makeup is supposed to be fun and creative and make you feel good about yourself. It should help you develop your own individual style that makes you happy. How boring would life be if everyone were clones with exactly the same makeup? Ugh! If, like me, you a feel more put together when your makeup flatters your clothes, then do it! Enjoy makeup and enjoy yourself, that's what I say!
smiles.gif

TISH1124

I like for my makeup colors to compliment my clothing as well...so most times there is a pop of color and it may relate to something I am wearing...or I may just wear neutrals that relate to nothing but goes with everything...I think people should wear what they like ...Not what everyone else thinks is taboo or not acceptable...makeup is a personal preference....So No, I do not think it is bad to coordinate your makeup with your colthing to a certain extent. What I think is wrong is makeup Restrictions...There should be none...it's all about preference. Do what you like...

ginger9

I agree, do whatever you like. And it's true, makeup rules/trends change and gets recycled.

I mean after the 80s blue e/s was considered to be the plague but it's made a resurgence since. The same goes for frosted lipstick. Even the rule of dark eyes with nude lips, I've seen some gorgeous ladies here rock a smoky eye and a dark/bright lip. So anything goes.

If anything I think how you wear your makeup is a reflection of who you are. I've been told by some people that I sport a "bright lip", and they hint at the fact that they like to see a pinky more nude lip. But you know what? Thanks for your opinion but I like my bright lips on occasion. GAT makes my heart sing so I'm not going to stop wearing it because someone else thinks it's too "bright". In a way I would be denying who I am if I did, does that make any sense?

Hey, if it's working for you, run with it!
smiles.gif

I find myself doing the same thing sometimes- I like to coordinate my e/s or my lipstick so it picks up a color in my hair (usually dark brown with hot pink or turquoise) or my nail color. I'm pretty sure it's subconscious- probably an art school thing
winks.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
I like my bright lips on occasion. GAT makes my heart sing so I'm not going to stop wearing it because someone else thinks it's too "bright". In a way I would be denying who I am if I did, does that make any sense?

Been there!
I, too, love Girl About Town; it's one of my staples.
I have a dear friend who, bless her, has dropped not-so-subtle hints that I "need" to adopt the nude lips look simply because it's so prevalent.
I mortally hate nude lips on me, so I have ignored that "advice."
A year of two ago, that same friend bought Girl About Town, and wears it all the time!
lol.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmakeup
If, like me, you a feel more put together when your makeup flatters your clothes, then do it! Enjoy makeup and enjoy yourself, that's what I say!
smiles.gif

That's EXACTLY what I mean!
When my makeup and clothing complement each other, I feel more "polished" and put together.
I'm not so hung up on every element of my ensemble matching that I will wear something that is unflattering to my natural coloring, or looks over the top.
For instance, If I wear a red sweater, I will wear red lipstick and a verry light well-blended touch of red blush.
But no way would I add reddish eyeshadow to that mix!
shockt.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmakeup
Like a few others have said, do whatever you like, and sod anyone posing hard and fast "rules" that you absolutely must follow. Makeup is supposed to be fun and creative and make you feel good about yourself. It should help you develop your own individual style that makes you happy. How boring would life be if everyone were clones with exactly the same makeup? Ugh! If, like me, you a feel more put together when your makeup flatters your clothes, then do it! Enjoy makeup and enjoy yourself, that's what I say!
smiles.gif

Since I'm 45, I guess I'm getting a little paranoid about my look being "dated."
But, realistically, I'd think that it would be difficult for a Specktra/MAC devotee such as I am to look seriously "behind the times."
Or at least I hope.
th_wink3.gif

abbey_08

i like to match my eyecolour to what im wearing iv been told 'people dont do this anymore' but i couldnt care really, different things suit diff ppl

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey_08
i like to match my eyecolour to what im wearing

It's kind of funny, but I'm not so much tempted to match my eyeshadow with what I'm wearing as I am to match lip color.
That may be partly because I have bright jade green eyes, and I prefer neutral shadows on them so as not to "upstage" their unusual natural color.
And, it may just be a quirk in my personality.
I find it distracting when I see someone wearing, say, a bright red sweater and mauve lipstick.
I realize that some just don't feel good about wearing full-on red lips, and I respect that, but I always wonder, "Couldn't you have at least done a *sheer* red, just so you wouldn't clash?
amazed.gif

Oh, well; whatever works for you ...
th_dunno.gif

ritchieramone

I only recently noticed the idea of matching being "bad" being mentioned here and thought it seemed a bit odd. I wear what I like and I like *matching*!
yes.gif
I'm probably an unfashionable old oaf but if I'm wearing red shoes, I want a red rose in my hair and some Heritage Rouge too!

misha5150

I like to either match my eyeshadow to my top or at least complement what i'm wearing. If I'm wearing a colorful eye, then I'll wear a nude or sheer lip and vise versa. Sometimes I'll be bad and wear something totally random on my eye, just to make them pop and it doesn't match anything I'm wearing!!
lol.gif
But ultimately it is up to you and what you want to wear and how you want to express yourself. Makeup is like art and your face is your canvas!!

sja103

Makeup shouldn't have rules. I just hate exact top colour with exact eyeshadow colour.. Worse, lip colour and eyeshadow exact same shade. *shudders*

Complementing is always good! Or.. Having a pinch of colour of whatever you're wearing.