Isn't makeup so...weird?

swaly

I've always been a staunch defender of beauty products, against the naysayers who proclaim going totally natural is socially or politically superior, or reflects a feminine "strength of character" and belief in one's own natural beauty. I have no problem with the use of cosmetics itself and think you can have a totally solid self-image and still delight in the use of colors and powders and creams and all the bells & whistles.

But my occasional wonder/bemusement is twofold:
• I sometimes have one of those stop-and-think moments when I see stuff like sculpted roses on fake nails, or creams with bizarre supplements added to it, or fake eyelashes made of animal fur, etc. I just get this feeling like the entire culture of using beauty products is just...so...weird. Not shameful, not "bad," only that it's such an incredibly strange social phenomenon. Factor in beauty practices from all over the world, and suddenly it all seems so alien to me! It's like looking at the same word over and over again––it suddenly loses context and meaning and seems inexplicable.
• The beauty industry and tried-and-true tactics corporations use to "hook" buyers. I hate the gimmicks of the beauty world and the fact that I can't get a straight pitch from anyone. This is sort of a separate topic altogether but it does factor in to the momentary "What am I doing with this oddly-colored goop on my lips?" feeling I get from time to time.

gildedangel

I totally see where you are coming from. I used to be one of those anti-makeup people until I realized that for me, makeup is not just about boosting self-image; it is an art as well. I think that the beauty industry is a bit weird too, that is probably why very few people are as into makeup as we all are. I do agree with you that some beauty products are a tad extreme. I remember a few years ago commercials for some shampoo and the shampoo contained diamonds and chocolate and pearls - because that is totally going to help clean your hair lol. Marketing is a powerful tool of the beauty industry; grant I think that their tactics are unfair but they have to sell product. We also have to keep in mind that different cultures view makeup in different ways.
For example, I had a roommate from Korea and she was huge into makeup (too bad she was mean and I did not like her lol). Department store brands like clinique and even MAC were "low end" to her. She spent hundreds of dollars on chanel, lancome, the most expensive stuff even if it wasn't a great product. Even just a brand is enough of a hook for some. Thank you for posting this, it is very thought provoking!

anita22

Yes, I agree it is interesting to think about!

It gets me thinking about what Baudrillard called the hyperreal (yes, also the name of a MAC foundation!) - the inability to distinguish reality from fantasy. The fact is, we live in a world that is largely "constructed" or fake. Most of us live in built environments, in areas that have been landscaped or shaped by human hands. We engage in the fantasy worlds of TV, advertising and games every day. We consume "nature" in the form of packaged goods. We take holidays to faraway places where we have "authentic" cultural experiences (that are really put on for the sake of the tourist). It's no surprise that we use makeup to "create" ourselves. Funnily enough, I even feel more like "myself" when I have a little makeup on, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Makeup is a strange social phenomenon, but when you look around... so are most things I guess!

Hilly

My husband just says it's all dust and fish scales...yet I can't leave the house without it. When I do go without makeup- I feel so blah. Lucky cosmetic companies makin monies off of my insecurities!

anita22

Coincidentally, I just watched a documentary on birds this evening... Apparently there's a certain type of hornbill that paints itself yellow in certain spots and no-one knows why. So apparently, even birds wear makeup
smiles.gif

chocolategoddes

I think a lot of things are "weird" if you stop and think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
Coincidentally, I just watched a documentary on birds this evening... Apparently there's a certain type of hornbill that paints itself yellow in certain spots and no-one knows why. So apparently, even birds wear makeup
smiles.gif

that's so cute.

florabundance

TBH, I find the idea of 'beauty' even more peculiar. At what point did we learn to covet one another so intensely? When and how did we learn to look at one another and identify something as visually pleasing or the opposite...let alone learn what parts need tweaking and enhancing or camouflaging?
Obviously all the answers point toward society/biology and humanity and it's preservation...but it's still strange.

Boasorte

I think makeup is wonderful, I used to be anti mu as well, but seeing the ART that people put on their faces is wonderful! I was never the best artist can barely draw a stick figure, but makeup IS my art even if I'm only a noob, I wish my sisters would get that past their thick skulls

Latest posts