Keira Knightley's look in "The Duchess" How to get it...

ButterflyDior77

This is my take on the E/S at least until I get the actual e/s used on Ms. Knightley and the actual lipstick as well. I have seen all the products in person , so this is my perhaps cheaper alternative to create the same look.

I will list the products I used to create it, and then after list all the "Actual" products used on Ms. Knightley.

First off some photos to gauge on how the look , looks. With different lightening the look can look obviously darker or lighter. I do think through out the film they intensified her make up as her character became the duchess. It's a beautiful natural look , that would be best on fair to medium skintones , brown eyes especially but green or blue would work too.

Photos:
I went off the second picture mainly...
5chx5y.jpg

o6d5zd.jpg

5khmoi.jpg

352gbad.jpg

Colors/Products:
Face:
Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation in Porcelain
Diorskin Nude Loose Powder in Light Beige
MAC Mystery Powder in Light from Baroque collection
Chanel Jous Contraste 99 Rose Petale Blush or opt for a brighter pink like MAC's Dollymix, Feur Power, or a lighter color like Dainty...I noticed they put a bright pink on her at one point.
MAC Shell Color base, MAC concealer in NC20
Eyeshadows:
MAC: Concrete, Charcoal Brown, Mylar, Wedge, Modelette, satin taupe (can opt for mylar and one color or two colors with mylar like CB and concrete. Just any light/medium muted taupe colors with a matte, satin finish...Of course you can use all depending on how dark you want it, I thought the combo of all was lovely...)
Mascara - Any black/brown and black
Lips:
Benefit's Good to go and Misbehavin'
MAC Capricious
Brushes:
MAC 116, 217, 266
Lancome 1 Powder Brush

How I applied the products

Face
I would uses a matte or semi-matte foundation .
I used Chanel Mat Lumiere in 0.5 Porcelain (My natural skintone). If you want that era's skin I would go a shade or so lighter in foundation than you normally do. Don't go too pale/white, we want to keep it modern still.
Any loose translucent powder or matching powder to set the foundation. I used what I had which was Diorskin Nude loose powder in 020 Light Beige.
I also used MAC's Mystery powder in light from the Baroque Boudoir collection (optional). I used just a typical big powder brush (Mine is a Lancome one). I also applied NC20 MAC studio finish concealer under my eyes and blemishes .

Cheeks:
I used Chanel Jous Contraste in 99 Rose Petale, which was the actual product that they used on Ms. Knightley. I used my 116 MAC Blush brush and built the color up to what I desired. I am not sure of a dupe for it. It is a light rosey pink with fine subtle shimmer. The shimmer doesn't translate onto the face. I applied it to the cheeks as it is in the photo, and used it lightly to contour around the jaw, chin, hairline . Optional : I wanted a highlight so I used a bit of MAC's Cream Colorbase in Shell on the top of the cheeks and on the bridge of the nose.

Eyes:
Since I don't have the actual shadow I made due with what I had in MAC colors. I know that the actual shadow is a medium taupe and the other color is a shimmery white highlight.
I applied my Painterly Paint pot. I applied "Mylar" to my entire lid with my MAC 217 blending brush. I find this brush for me applies lightly (and I naturally apply things heavy so lol). I then took "Charcoal Brown" and lightly swept it over the lid and slightly up past the crease like she has her shadow applied. I then lightly took "Concrete" and did the same thing and blended the colors together. I then used "Sating Taupe" lightly in the crease and blended "Charcoal Brown" over it. I took "Modelette" and "Wedge" on just my lid to lighten the color , and used a bit of mylar along the upper lash line. Some of the colors are optional. I would say mainly "Charcoal Brown," "Concrete" and "Mylar" are the main ones.
I took my 266 angle brush and dipped it into "Charcoal Brown" "Concrete" and applied it lightly on the top and lower lash line and smudged it.
Then I took a tiny amount of Chanel's blush in 99 Rose Petale and washed it over the entire lid to blend (Like Keira's Make Up Artist did).
For Mascara I used Maybelline Volume 3x in Black/Brown , with one coat of diorshow blackout mascara . I believe you don't want super black lashes for this look, unless you want that.

Brows:
I darkened my already medium brown brows with MAC's Coffee eyeliner pencil. Her brows are pretty dark for most of the film. This is optional.

Lips:
I used Benefit's Misbehavin' which is a dark plum/brown color, along with Benefit's Good to go which is a lighter plum/brown, and a bit of MAC's Capricious . I applied it with my fingers to create a stain look. I think the main color you want is a plum color so Benefit's Misbehavin' or Mac's Capricious would work. Using all three is optional. Ms. Knightley's color is a dark plum color, and they applied it lightly with the fingers to create a stain look.

The colors and products they actually used on Ms. Knightley

“In brief, I would describe Keira's look as a soft, muted, pretty and
ethereal version of late 18th century make-up based on paintings by
Joshua Reynolds and Mary Cosway - prolific painters of the period.
It's about finding a 'middle ground' on what would otherwise be a
garish make-up period,” said make-up designer Daniel Phillips.

*As of Oct. 15, 2008, Keira Knightley is a spokesmodel for Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Makeup411.com chose to run this breakdown because it does not feature only Chanel products.

Skin Care
Ice cold face cloth with rose water and lavender, used to waken the skin in the early morning, leaving the skin tingling! Crème de la Mer The Moisturizing Gel Cream; Crème de la Mer The Lip Balm to prime the lips
Foundation
Mix of Chanel Lift Lumière Foundation in colors Clair (20) and Beige (40), from Autumn 2008 range
Concealer
Maquillage palette in Ivory and Ochre cream base mixed with Maquillage Pre-Base Moisturizer. This helps keep the concealer silky.
Powder
Chanel Poudre Universe Libre in Clair and Chanel Soft Pressed Powder in Almond
Blush
Chanel Powder Blush in Rose Petale
Eye Shadow
Chanel Irréelle Duo in Cristal-Dusk; dusted over whole area with Chanel Powder Blush in Rose Petale to soften and mute the colors and give youthful glow
Brows
Color toned to link in with wig color. Skin Illustrator Complexion Palette in ochre yellow and Bobbi Brown Eye Shadow in Malted, a mocha beige color
Mascara
Exceptionnel de Chanel Intense Volume and Curl Mascara in Smoky Noir 10
False Lashes
Individual eye lashes were added to outer corners to lift eyes.
Lips
Lucas’ Papaw Ointment mixed with Chanel Rouge Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Fantastic Plum. This color was dabbed on with finger tip to keep edges soft and create a stain effect.
Highlights / Countour
Neck and decollete were air brushed using Kett Hydro Foundation in ivory, and collarbone and upper chest/ breast line was shimmered with Chanel Facettes D’Or Highlighter in Gold Fever. This is subtle enough to give a silky effect without the sparkle on camera!

Latest posts