MA Rudeness/Bad MAC experiences/Rants

Sushi_Flower

Awhile back i was at a Mac counter browsing and wondering about some of the eye stuff. The MAC SA are always very enthusiastic and you just know they will help you and know about most of the products really well and will definetly know about every product.
I was wondering if the Shadesticks were better than Paints at keeping creasing away and asked an SA. She hardly had any makeup on and the stuff she did have on was very poorly applied which straight away doesn't give you a good impression. When i asked her my questions she had no idea what i meant by Paint. She said ''what? you mean can you paint your eyes with our eyeshadows?''. I repeated what i meant over and over even pointing to the Paints that were down the counter and she hadn't a clue what i was talking about.
Is it just me or is this really shocking! I expect the Mac SAs to know about all their products and especially a product like Paint which is so popular. It's like going to Starbucks and the people not knowing what a Latte is!

Today i went back and i wasn't very thrilled when i ended up being served by her again. I was wanting to buy an eyeshadow brush after making my thread asking you guys which is best. I told her the 3 brushes i wanted to look at and she looked at all the brushes and turned to me and said "i don't know which is which, can you just look for yourself"...
icon_eek.gif
I am the customer! And one which doesn't know anything about the brushes at that and should be advised by you! She found them one by one after a lot of looking and getting help by another SA and then when i asked her questions about the brushes she hadn't a clue about them. I was so glad when a cool looking SA swooped in and in about 10 seconds gave me enough information to help me decided as she was so enthusiastic and knew what she was talking about. I also ended up buying a Blot powder as she told me about it really well.
If i had been left alone with that other SA i would've become really annoyed and would have probably left with the wrong products and with no information.
How did she get the job?!?!?

Lo-Fi_Thriller

well there is a thing in the magical work world where they dont judge you on your background or looks- maybe she is new and very nervous. everyone is new at one time. i worked at a Stila counter w.o any makeup training whatsoever, i got my License there for 25$...i worked there for 2 years and the first few weeks there i was very shy and had to remember alot of names and do inventory alot, but i got nervous with intimidating customers who told me straight out what they wanted like I WANT THIS CERTIAN CREME, OR I WANT THIS CERTIAN COLOUR AND THIS SHIMMER blah blah blah no hello or goodbye. but it takes time to adjust to the new job and learn your way around, so even though she was stupid and rude with the brushes and didn't help you the way you wanted to be helped one day she will serve another person, or even you in a appropriate and professional fashion... but if she was THAT bad complain, but dont complain about how she looked, thats just wrong, complain about her preformance was and her being rude about the brushes..

smiles.gif

Janice

I would have refused to let her help me and complained to the counter manager. If the counter manager wasn't there I would have asked for the sales floor manager and let them know what a frustrating experience it was for you. Also the Counter Managers NEED to know when one of their employees needs more training, etc.

We tend to turn into victims when we go to counters, you need to know that you are empowering yourself by researching products here BEFORE you go to the counter. So don't let an MA who is rude/clueless/etc dampen your MAC experience. Politely ask the MA if there is someone else available to help you, if not tell the MA you would like the Counter Managers name and the counter phone number. It's ridiculous a counter manager would put an inexperienced MA on the floor without a seasoned MA to help.

/end rant

Sushi_Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller
well there is a thing in the magical work world where they dont judge you on your background or looks- maybe she is new and very nervous. everyone is new at one time. i worked at a Stila counter w.o any makeup training whatsoever, i got my License there for 25$...i worked there for 2 years and the first few weeks there i was very shy and had to remember alot of names and do inventory alot, but i got nervous with intimidating customers who told me straight out what they wanted like I WANT THIS CERTIAN CREME, OR I WANT THIS CERTIAN COLOUR AND THIS SHIMMER blah blah blah no hello or goodbye. but it takes time to adjust to the new job and learn your way around, so even though she was stupid and rude with the brushes and didn't help you the way you wanted to be helped one day she will serve another person, or even you in a appropriate and professional fashion... but if she was THAT bad complain, but dont complain about how she looked, thats just wrong, complain about her preformance was and her being rude about the brushes..

smiles.gif

I don't want to be seen as being nasty about her, please don't take it that way, i'm sorry if it came across like that. I just don't get the impression that a SA would know much about what they were talking about if they're working on a makeup counter that has such a good reputation, with poorly applied makeup. In my case i was right in my impression of her and have had 2 bad experiences with her which are quiet spaced out timewise and so her knowledge/service hasn't improved. Ofcourse i feel for her if she is new but i can't imajine how she would've been given a job not knowing anything. And if she was then i don't think that is right at all, i would expect some level of training before being allowed to serve real customer. I was perfectly polite and patient with her but as a customer i expect a good level of service and an SA who actually can advise me on products or even find them for me. I think that's a minimum requirement at a counter.
She wasn't rude in the blatant sense but i did find it very strange and awkward when she just looked at the brushes for 2 seconds, gave up and then told me to look myself. I shouldn't even be there behind the counter anyway!

I don't want to complain as she wasn't actually rude and i felt sorry for her when she was confused but it was just frustrating not being able to get any information/help.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
I don't want to complain .... but it was just frustrating not being able to get any information/help.

Huh? That's not a valid reason to complain?! Her manager needs to know that she needs more training or at least a seasoned MA with her at all times until she gets the hang on things.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller

smiles.gif

I don't want to be seen as being nasty about her, please don't take it that way, i'm sorry if it came across like that. I just don't get the impression that a SA would know much about what they were talking about if they're working on a makeup counter that has such a good reputation, with poorly applied makeup. In my case i was right in my impression of her and have had 2 bad experiences with her which are quiet spaced out timewise and so her knowledge/service hasn't improved. Ofcourse i feel for her if she is new but i can't imajine how she would've been given a job not knowing anything. And if she was then i don't think that is right at all, i would expect some level of training before being allowed to serve real customer. I was perfectly polite and patient with her but as a customer i expect a good level of service and an SA who actually can advise me on products or even find them for me. I think that's a minimum requirement at a counter.
She wasn't rude in the blatant sense but i did find it very strange and awkward when she just looked at the brushes for 2 seconds, gave up and then told me to look myself. I shouldn't even be there behind the counter anyway!

I don't want to complain as she wasn't actually rude and i felt sorry for her when she was confused but it was just frustrating not being able to get any information/help.

i know you wernt being nasty, i just been in her shoes before, i did have a experienced MA with me for a month helping me, all i was trying to put out is everyone is new sometimes
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

Sushi_Flower

Janice - I know and although i was very frustrated with it all i still feel sorry for her so i would feel bad. But i guess she would probably benefit from feedback so I think i'll mention it to another SA when i go back.

Janice

I'm not trying to pressure you into complaining. In all honesty, and this is NOT personal so please do not interpet it as such, I would rather not hear people complain if they aren't going to at least give the counter manager a "heads up" on a situation. If you do decide to mention these "episodes" I would only tell the counter manager. If you tell another MA the situation it might or might not get back to the CM and who knows if it will be accurate at the point it does.

melozburngr

I had a similar problem the other day- I went to redeems some empties for B2M and the girl didn't even know her product lines... I asked for deceptive (from the textures) and retrodaze (from d'bohemia) and she had no clue where to look for them, didnt even know what lines they were in.. so I waited while she looked for them, and when she told me they were out of deceptive (which sucked, cuz they had it on display, grr) I asked for Pink Apertif, and again, I had to TELL her what line it was from, she had no clue- there was another customer there, and I gave her more information about the product she was interested in than the MA did... I dunno.. but I dont think Ill be going back to that counter..

glittergoddess27

I dont think you were being nasty either,... I do think that when you apply to work for a high profile makeup company that you should go in knowing your stuff,..I wouldnt have been bothered by her inability to "find" things,... but to completely not be able to give you recommendations or help you differentiate between what the brushes were for? And to be that way more than once. That would raise a flag for me,...the people who work there are supposed to be knowledgable enough to do that,...it doesnt sound like a matter of shy or new,...I have read the employee manual,.. (Yes I am that sad) and if she had taken the time to do so it gives a basic knowledge of everything and as a MAC employee you are expected to have some kind of makeup knowledge,... like application. Trust me I have had some Noobs at the counters here tell me"I'm sorry, I am new and not tried out everything yet but I will do my best,.." and sure enough,.. I was happy and they helped me or ran to get help if a question was beyond their experience. If her makeup was bad then that also is a red flag,... if she can't even apply it successfully on herself,.. then how is she going to help a customer who needs to know how to use it and wants a demonstration. I would say something,..I feel bad but I would complain. MAC attracts customers who are expecting a certain standard,.... the employees need to make sure they meet that,..or it makes MAC look bad and loses customers,.. then MAC goes under and we'll all be flinging ourselves off of bridges,...I would talk to the store manager,.. that way she can hook that girl up with some training and make her read her MANUAL. It even tells you how to greet the customer and handle situations where you cannot find product/know enough about the product or what to say if you do not recommend something for a customer,....

melozburngr

the 'finding stuff' wasnt what upset me, it was the fact that she knew absolutely NOTHING about their products.. that really bugged me, because I spend A LOT of money there, and when i go in, I sometimes like suggestions, etc...

MACForME

Wow- I had posted what happened to me at a NJ MAC Freestanding store, I think i would rther have a kind person with no clue make SOME sort of effort then the SA who YELLED at me, rushed me and refused to help me AT ALL.

glittergoddess27

cry.gif
I wish I could just bring you all here to my freestanding,.... If anyone from Indy ever has a bad experience,... I think I would march up there and get whomever fired immediately,.. but we have such good MA's that I don't see that happening,.. I really feel lucky,...

Sushi_Flower

Ok you guys have convinced me to have a word with the manager, it'll be for her own good if not for the customers. Do i ask for the manager of the Mac counter or the whole shop? Sometimes it's really busy and sometimes there's just 2 SA on so i don't know if there would be a manager present most times.

user2

Where to complain about a bad MA?

Hi!
I was treated a little bit rough at a MAC counter in a very famous department store over here (its like Barneys or Saks) and now I dont know where to complain! Should I take it to the Consumer Communications?

hellokitty

I had that happen once, and that is just what I did. They take it very seriously. Sorry that happened to you

user2

Its OK I can deal with those *itches and dont buy from them...hopefully they can deal with a reminder from their boss...*g*

msthrope

in the past when i have had problems, i used the "email an artist" option on the website - they direct it where it needs to go. you could also write a letter to the counter manager.

MACForME

I had a MA yell at me after she ignored me for awhile. Another friend had complained to me that the MA was "rough" with makeup application. I just wrot to MAC via their website.

Latest posts