MA Rudeness/Bad MAC experiences/Rants

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru-chan
Personally I find it really annoying when I get an MA (or any sales assistant) who doesn't know her stuff.

Fair enough if it's not sold at that particular counter but I do expect them to know what products they sell, what they do, how much they are and when new collections are being released.

I know to a lot of them it's just a job but that doesn't mean you should have to recieve bad customer service and poor knowledge of the products, if they can't be bothered to do their job propely then they shouldn't be in that job at all.

Thank you!! If you are at your job and people are coming up and asking you questions about your job, products, programs, duties or whatever the case and you don't know the answers is it alright cuz it's just a job for you and not a passion or a true interest??? No.

pugmommy7

This thread is cracking me up.
I know what you mean, they cannot know everything BUT, when you are dealing with it everyday for 8 hours, how does it not sink in.
(I agree if they do not sell it at your counter/store you cannot be expec ted to know it all)
But when I was working(9 years as a nail tech) I had a rainman like ability to name an opi polish on site and they have over 100! but i used it constantly. and they came out with new lines all the time.
but that is me
smiles.gif

flowerhead

Not meaning to offend anyone, but this thread is really tiresome....If you know what paints are I'm sure you can get one, test it and purchase it!

User20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru-chan
Personally I find it really annoying when I get an MA (or any sales assistant) who doesn't know her stuff.

Fair enough if it's not sold at that particular counter but I do expect them to know what products they sell, what they do, how much they are and when new collections are being released.

I know to a lot of them it's just a job but that doesn't mean you should have to recieve bad customer service and poor knowledge of the products, if they can't be bothered to do their job propely then they shouldn't be in that job at all.

Amen! I'm sick of getting bad service (hence the reason I only shop at one of our MAC counters which is half way across town) and having the MA's know nada or be overly pushy. It's understandable that they can't know everything (or at least not immediately), but they should take time to get to know the product better as they are there. I'm sick of asking for something, then going back months later and having them still not know what it is.

farra712

I hate when I want something and they try to talk me out of it! What's the problem??? I want to buy it, you are there to sell it, and we may have different opinions of what looks good on me, but it is your job to take my money and give me my product!!!! Yes I may be dressed like a a bum or a preppy school girl or a slut or whatever, but I still want that Flash Mode Lipgloss (or whatever), so give it to me!! ALso, they have put the wrong foundation color on me everytime. I am soooo powdery white and they want me to be darker! I want me to be darker, too, but not just my face!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by farra712
I hate when I want something and they try to talk me out of it! What's the problem??? I want to buy it, you are there to sell it, and we may have different opinions of what looks good on me, but it is your job to take my money and give me my product!!!! Yes I may be dressed like a a bum or a preppy school girl or a slut or whatever, but I still want that Flash Mode Lipgloss (or whatever), so give it to me!! ALso, they have put the wrong foundation color on me everytime. I am soooo powdery white and they want me to be darker! I want me to be darker, too, but not just my face!

LOL!!

Nycutie182

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
Not meaning to offend anyone, but this thread is really tiresome....If you know what paints are I'm sure you can get one, test it and purchase it!

Yes, but if someone has a question for the MA, I'd like to think they'd be able to help the customer. If they don't even know what a is, then it does make it somewhat complicated to "purchase it" seeing as how the staff gets the products for you.

Sushi_Flower

Quote:

What is the point of the SAs then.... :confused: Just to take my money at the till and put the product in a bag for me? And not even to know what it is they just handled? Or that it exists? Or be able to help me in my questions about it? Would i even want to buy it without any basic Qs answerd about it? No i wouldn't as i hadn't used Paints before that time and the SA is the one with the tools on her belt and the one who should 'test' it for me with the right tools/techniques and show me how it is applied and looks.
And if she doesn't even know what it is then how will she even find it for me to buy anyway? Like the time the SA couldn't find the brushes i wanted even though all she has to do is read the writing of the brushes, maybe that's alot of hard work, but should she really have told me to do it because she can't be bothered? Who is the person getting paid and who is the person paying?!

Like i said you've got to take my opinions of this into context, stuff like this is constantly happening at my counter and is nothing to do with someone being new or having one bad day or it being new products/DC products being talked about, that and coupled with the fact that i've had very rude service means i'm not left with a good impression of the SAs i've dealt with.
There are a couple who are really nice and helpfull though and without who i probably would hardly ever go to my counter.

Chelly

Quote:

well if your bored sweetheart then go read somethin else
winks.gif

i was at the south beach location which according to the site sells pro products. i was under the impression that it was a straight up PRO STORE but maybe its not.. but dont tell me that electric coral pigment is discontinued when its not.

72Cosmo

I feel very lucky after reading this thread. We only have 2 counters in Tucson ( both at Dillards stores) and I feel that I get excellent service from both counters. I don't purchase every time I go and everyone is always willing to show me whatever I'm interested in. I try not to go on weekends when they are the busiest. My only complaint is that we don't have a freestanding store where I can purchase pan form shadows. I forgot to mention that the MA's are very knowledgeable also.

asnbrb

My MA's are pretty knowledgable. I've only come across one that I wanted to slap upside the head, but she doesn't work there anymore. (Yes, dollymix blush does exist and I'm pointing at it RIGHT NOW)
smiles.gif
Other than that, the only problem I really had was one girl who was helping out at the freestanding store when she usually works at Pearlridge, so she wasn't familiar with where everything was kept.

SonRisa

To be honest, I'm so sick of reading stuff like this. Yea, yea, don't read it then. Pass it up - whatever. There's bad customer service in every industry. That doesn't excuse it, but it exsists. Not knowing a brush number or how to use it . . . maybe she was new. Maybe she truly was a dumb ass and didn't think to look at the numbers on the side to find it. I don't know, but I don't think half of you understand how intense our job can be. Customer service is the number one priority. And at my store at least, that can mean jumping between 5 different customers who all have questions about how to use _______ and will ___ color look good me? while someone else wants an eye demo and another has an appointment. On top of which, we have to replenish our stock area, write out our out of stock lists, clean the counter, clean our brushes between each customer, clean the products themselves, answer the phone, do facecharts (which are required) AND manage to keep our cool. I'm not complaining, I love my job. But even for me, as an addict before I was an employee it took me about a year to get completely comfortable with most products - knowing the ingredients, why they're in there, what they do, recognizing the names of products and being able to pull them out of the unit. AND I study my PKM in my free time. Most MAC employees do not. There's no downtime to study the PKM at work. We go to basic once - it's 5 days long and pretty informative, but with the multitude of products MAC makes, it can be pretty confusing. Plus, they're always adding new ones. Yes, we go to update 4 times a year, but update, to be honest doesn't tell us much more besides the inspiration behind major collections, what the names of the colors are and what they look like. If there's a new product, the trainers will go over how to use it once. Some people go to update a month before anything launches. They may forget once it's launched. They're human. And different things are popular in different regions. Just because you love paints, doesn't mean everyone does. Most people who shop at my store never ask for paints. They've never even heard of them until I use it on them.

Our job is to do makeup and sell makeup. Yes, I agree you should know about what you're selling, but now that I've been with MAC for over a year (which isn't even that long) I've seen a super high turnover rate. I'm not sure if it's just my region or what. But basically that means lots of fresh, new employees. Who all love makeup - or they wouldn't be working there, but they can't be expected to know everything right away. If they don't know, so what? You don't know everything. If they don't offer to find out for you - that's another story. In that case, I'd request to speak to a manager and tell them how you feel. Above all else, just keep in mind we're all human, we all make mistakes and we all have different personalities which means we interact with each other in different ways. There's never an excuse for attitude, but remember most of us are there to help you. And think about how you approach the situation. If they say they don't know, or don't understand what you're talking about, do you get an attitude? Do you walk in like a know it all? I'm not saying you do, but I've had customers do that and believe me the last thing I want to do is help them - even though I do. When you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you. Think how you may have contributed to a bad experience you had. . . reactions, etc.

professionaltart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
i agree with everything there is a lot of new stuff but when they dont know that some pimgents are not eye safe... i got a prob. there...this is at a store...

I can see how that is a problem but I'm gonna be honest with you, MAC doesnt go into great detail with us on what is/is not eye safe. Most MAs are not gonna go thru the PKM or online and see what is exactly eye safe etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaqua
Agree with Juneplum and Turbokittykat... however, I feel that an MA should at least take the time to know the products that are sold where she works (ie, if she works at a counter, it's cool if perhaps she doesnt know a lot about Pro products, but hopefully she'll know what paints are). I've found that occasionally an MA at my counter won't know what I mean, but it's usually because she's new, or its a rarely used product for them (people in Syracuse seem to have strange tastes in what they'll buy from MAC, sometimes I'll ask for something, and the MAs are like "Oh my god, I'm SO glad someone finally asked about this! I love it, but no one ever wants it!" LOL).

I try to be patient if someone doesn't know what they're talking about. I do my best to explain it thoroughly. Hey, I'd rather have an informed MA, even if I have to inform her myself, than one left clueless because I was too annoyed she didn't know a product to explain it to her at all.

Agreed.

FROM A MAC ARTIST STAND POINT:
1. (For the most part I think I am part of a VERY knowledgable counter aside from our freelancers and one part timer.) There are constantly CONSTANTLY new collections being released and people jump down my throat when I don't remember that Curiotease came out with Naturally Eccentric. Um hello, sorry I have to keep up with every other frickin thing MAC releases.

2. ABOUT THE LAUNCH OF NEW COLLECTIONS: we are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT suppose to disclose information to customers. Your MA is not being mean by not telling you, if your MA does tell you then that is awesome u got a great MA. By contract, we are not suppose to say ANYTHING...period.

3. DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS: MAC doesnt call us on the phone and say "Oh hey. Fleshpot lipstick is being discontinued" and we just say "alright cool thanks." We don't get Memos all the time, some counters dont even have the discontinued Product list on counter. My counter didn't get one until recently again, we all thought Aquadisiac was on its wayout cause we literally hadn't seen it in months.

Sometimes the problems about discontinued items isnt necessarily the MAs fault but when MAC doesn't provide MAs with information we can't do anything.

-------

Alright sorry my rant is done.

marshmallowfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionaltart
I can see how that is a problem but I'm gonna be honest with you, MAC doesnt go into great detail with us on what is/is not eye safe. Most MAs are not gonna go thru the PKM or online and see what is exactly eye safe etc etc

FROM A MAC ARTIST STAND POINT:
1. (For the most part I think I am part of a VERY knowledgable counter aside from our freelancers and one part timer.) There are constantly CONSTANTLY new collections being released and people jump down my throat when I don't remember that Curiotease came out with Naturally Eccentric. Um hello, sorry I have to keep up with every other frickin thing MAC releases.

2. ABOUT THE LAUNCH OF NEW COLLECTIONS: we are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT suppose to disclose information to customers. Your MA is not being mean by not telling you, if your MA does tell you then that is awesome u got a great MA. By contract, we are not suppose to say ANYTHING...period.

3. DISCONTINUED PRODUCTS: MAC doesnt call us on the phone and say "Oh hey. Fleshpot lipstick is being discontinued" and we just say "alright cool thanks." We don't get Memos all the time, some counters dont even have the discontinued Product list on counter. My counter didn't get one until recently again, we all thought Aquadisiac was on its wayout cause we literally hadn't seen it in months.

Sometimes the problems about discontinued items isnt necessarily the MAs fault but when MAC doesn't provide MAs with information we can't do anything.

-------

Alright sorry my rant is done.

I wouls like to say a big DITTO to everything said above and in SonRisa's post. Everything they said is spot-on correct.

I would also like to add that lots of times customer's will come in and INSIST that there is some color/product/whatever named something I have NEVER heard of...and then they get all pissy when I don't know what they are talking about. Come to find out, the CUSTOMER had the wrong info to begin with.
Some of the info passed around IS incorrect...yes it really is.
Sometimes the shades listed in the magazine ARE incorrectly printed. It happens.
I have been with MAC for almost 7 years, and believe it or not, I have a damn good memory of disontinued/limited/pro stuff. And I do everything I can to make sure mystaff is as informed as I am. There isn't much that gets by me. But occasionally, very occasionally, it does....... shit happens
smiles.gif

MMF~

ladydanger

keep in mind that some of the girls/boys may be freelancers. though they too are required to learn about products mac carries and new items, they are not always around to learn everything. just something to remember before you pass judgement on the folks.

shabdebaz

"There's bad customer service in every industry". Amen! "When MA's don't know shit..." is a little harsh, don't you think? It amazes me when I read through threads like this one. Honestly, if you think you can do a better job than whoever works at your local counter, or if you know more than them...then just apply!

bellaetoile

there's a difference, in my customer eyes, between an MA that isn't knowledgeable and an MA that is simply unhelpful and bitchy.

i've been wearing and buying MAC products for almost 6 years now, and only recently have i gotten into hardcore collecting and wearing entirely MAC products. i think i spend way too much time on these boards and the LJ boards, and i have picked up quite a bit of knowledge, and can always learn something new. i've encountered MAs that were very unhelpful, not because they were unknowledgable, but simply because they were rude and disinterested. that, in my mind, is bad customer service, and when i can, i will e-mail MAC about unsatisfacotry customer service. however, a MAJORITY of the MAs at both the counters and freestanding store have been very helpful, and if they happen to not know something, they have always gone out of their way to either ask another, more knowledgeable MA, or listen to my suggestions, which i really appreciate. i think its cool that MAs take customer advice and feedback, because it makes the cutsomers feel like we actually mean something, and that they actually care. i've gotten into long discussions with MAs during slow business about my methods of depotting, or color combinations. overall, i've had very pleasing experiences, and while i know its frustrating to get someone who isn't quite up to par, i think the talented and helpful MAs far outnumber the ones who aren't. most of the time, the counters are EXTREMELY busy, and the consumers usually aren't as knowledgeable as the very informed specktra readers. just because i know when rebel rock blue and deckchair pigments came out, doesn't mean that the other 99.9999% of the average customers do. and having worked retail and customer service jobs, i know how it can get, during busy hours. like i think risa said, if you have an MA who is truly rude, and blatantly doesn't WANT to do his or her job, they should be reported. if its someone who just isn't informed about products, you need to cut them some slack. when i worked in a clothing store, certain clothes contained such and such a dye, or a certain type of wool, and there was no way i could remember what was what. it just wasn't general knowledge. i would try to find out, but it could take awhile, and the answer wasn't always available to me. at counters, just about all the products are eyesafe, and its very hard to remember specifically which shades are or aren't. not trying to jump down anyone's throat, just throwing in my two cents..

calbear

To the MAC Ma's who responded - THANK YOU!! If some of these people pointing fingers only knew the drama most MA's go through.

For every story of some rude or bitchy MA someone has come across, some MA has a story of 5 or 6 customers that were just plain crazy. We had a MA who was helping a customer and she askes if the woman could hold on a second cause there was something in her eye and the customers response was "I don't care about your eye, I'm in a hurry and you need to finish helping me" lovely ;-)

People just don't realize how hard it is to help a customer that has walked in the door with the 'I know more about MAC than you do AND I could do this job better than you' attitude.

nakobear

I feel for all of the MAs...the store that I go to often is a Pro store and I have noticed that they are really nice and knowledgable and I noticed if I'm willing to wait for them a bit when they're busy they seem really grateful that someone was actually patient. At another counter that I go to the MAs are always swamped and I feel bad for them. As much as there's bad customer service, I seen even more bad customer attitude and rudeness from customers who think they're always right or are really demanding. Props to all of the patient MAs out there. I don't think I could handle some of those bitchy customers....