MAC Guidelines for Product Sanitation?

missmarkers

I have a phone interview coming up which I'm pretty nervous about but have been reading other threads for ideas on what they might ask. But my main concern is how MAC likes their employees to sanitize items for use on customers. All I know that foundation or concealors are put into a petri dish. Mascaras and lipglosses are applied with disposable applicators.

Do they use Brush off or Mac Brush Cleaner between application if the same brush is used? And what method do they use to clean the brush (ie cleaner over tissue and rub the brush over that? Or spayed onto the brush and wiped onto tissue?)

How do you santize a powder product before use? Eyeshadows, Pressed Powders, Blushes, Bronzers, etc.

Are loose powder items just dispensed into a petri dish?

I know that lipsticks are dipped into alcohol. Are they wiped after dipping before using the lip brush and afterwards?

How do you sanitize a fluidline or paint pot?

Any other tips on properly sanitizing products would be very helpful. I know how I prefer to do it and how other lines clean their products but I am curious as to how Mac prefers it to be done before my demo.

Thanks!

Bernadette

Re: Mac Guidelines for Product Sanitation?

"Do they use Brush off or Mac Brush Cleaner between application if the same brush is used? And what method do they use to clean the brush (ie cleaner over tissue and rub the brush over that? Or spayed onto the brush and wiped onto tissue?)"

Brushes are cleaned between each and every customer. Squirt some brush cleanser onto a paper towle (not tissues, unless that's all you have) and rub the brushes over it back and forth. Or you can squirt some brush cleanser into a petri dish, give the brush a little swirl in it and then rub it all off on a paper towel.

"How do you santize a powder product before use? Eyeshadows, Pressed Powders, Blushes, Bronzers, etc."

Wipe them with a tissue.

"Are loose powder items just dispensed into a petri dish?"

Yes.

"I know that lipsticks are dipped into alcohol. Are they wiped after dipping before using the lip brush and afterwards?"

Dip then continue to hold upside down while scrapping on a paper towel. Never flip it right-side up while it has alcohol on it, it will drip down to the base and cause the lipstick to break over time.

"How do you sanitize a fluidline or paint pot?"

You use a spatula to scoop the prodcut out.

Other than that, place a tissue under all products that you are using on someone. For pencils, dip in alcohol, sharpen and then dip again.

Bernadette

I just realized that I said to squirt alcohol onto a paper towel to clean brushes. I must have been spacing the heck out when I replied to this earlier because I meant to say BRUSH CLEANSER, durrr.

erine1881

when you use the spatula, dip the spatula in alcohol and wipe with a tissue before you get any fluidline/paintpot. after you sanitize, wipe the cream product with a tissue (just the small top layer) then get out product with the spatula. just to be safe.

if you are using a brush on the same person, you don't have to clean it each time (i.e. using 217 for brow highlight, then for crease). you can just take a clean tissue and wipe off any excess color before getting the next color. is this what you meant?

definately make sure your brushes are placed on a tissue when you are using them. take it out of the brush belt, use, and then place on tissue. do not put it directly on the counter!

did a tissue in alcohol and sanitize the petri dish too.

if you step away from the makeup stand to get something, or touch your face or hair, santize your hands before you touch their face.

spencerkaitlin

When it comes to dispensing items into the petri dish... Should separate ones be used for each product?

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Do you sanitize the petri dish as well?

Yes, you do.

That is done by placing some Purell hand sanitizer in the petri dish and then taking a tissue and wiping it out really well. I repeat this to really make sure the petri dish is clean and sanitized... then I rewipe with a tissue and place whatever products I am using in the petri dish.

chocolategoddes

I've seen some makeup artists put the product ( like foundation and lipsticks) on their hand to warm it up for smoother application. Does MAC do that or is that unsanitary?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I've seen some makeup artists put the product ( like foundation and lipsticks) on their hand to warm it up for smoother application. Does MAC do that or is that unsanitary?

by mac standards this is not allowed. even tho you santitize your hands, mac doesn't allow you to place product on your hands. i don't understand it, but that's company policy. the only product i can imagine you would want to warm up would be the paint pots. to soften them up, place the petri dish in your hands (both sanitized of course) and allow the heat from your hands to warm the glass. then place the paint pot product on the dish and work from there.

why you can't use your hands when:
they are sanitized
you touch there face applying shadows (lifting saggy lid skin)
you move their head for better angles

i don't know. but, i've seen some of the artists doing that. i have caught myself doing it here or there.

scorplove

Thank you soooooooo much for posting these sanitation guidelines.
thmbup.gif

I don't work for MAC, but would you believe I never received any "sanitation" training from my Px counter in the few short months I've been working there? Not cool at all.
thmbdn.gif

Everything I did was natural or watching someone else. I didn't know there was a hygenic spray for makeup until just recently. Before putting lipsticks on someone else, I would naturally wipe it on tissue. Sharpening eyeliners were just a given, but I didn't know you could dip it in alcohol too.

This site is VERY INFORMATIVE. As soon as my funds pick up, I plan on donating something, because the info is VERY NEEDED. Doesn't matter what cosmetic line you work for, the tips on Specktra can be applied to any brand.

miss_supra

So we are not allowed to touch their face at all? I tend to place my pinky on their check while doing the eye shadow application to stabilize my hand...am I doing it wrong?

_ohmygosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
by mac standards this is not allowed. even tho you santitize your hands, mac doesn't allow you to place product on your hands. i don't understand it, but that's company policy. the only product i can imagine you would want to warm up would be the paint pots. to soften them up, place the petri dish in your hands (both sanitized of course) and allow the heat from your hands to warm the glass. then place the paint pot product on the dish and work from there.

why you can't use your hands when:
they are sanitized
you touch there face applying shadows (lifting saggy lid skin)
you move their head for better angles

i don't know. but, i've seen some of the artists doing that. i have caught myself doing it here or there.

I've learnt that it is easier to touch their face when apply eyeshadow!
And many MAC artist's place foundation on their hand.....when they're with me.

(Different artists, at different stores.)

Stephie Baby

So when you use a tissue to wipe eyeshadows, blushes or any other powder product, do you use 1 tissue for each product? Or can I just fold it and use the other side? I know its kind of a lame question, but I want to make sure. Lol.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
So when you use a tissue to wipe eyeshadows, blushes or any other powder product, do you use 1 tissue for each product? Or can I just fold it and use the other side? I know its kind of a lame question, but I want to make sure. Lol.

you can fold. just make sure that you don't transfer the different colors to each other in the pot.

rocketqueen

Bernadette, can I ask you? Hoping someone will see this!

""Do they use Brush off or Mac Brush Cleaner between application if the same brush is used? And what method do they use to clean the brush (ie cleaner over tissue and rub the brush over that? Or spayed onto the brush and wiped onto tissue?)"

Brushes are cleaned between each and every customer. Squirt some brush cleanser onto a paper towle (not tissues, unless that's all you have) and rub the brushes over it back and forth. Or you can squirt some brush cleanser into a petri dish, give the brush a little swirl in it and then rub it all off on a paper towel.""

I'm having a demo for MAC on Wednesday (wow!), and my question is: Before I start using the brushes, do I sanitize them myself, just to be safe? And do I reuse the brush cleanser in the petri dish? I mean, can I swirl one brush, dry it on a towel and then swirl another brush in the petri without exchanging the contains of the brush cleanser? Or what is the best way?

I'm browsing all the great demo threads, but I still wanted to ask! Hope someone can help!
smiles.gif

becccaak

Hi Ladies, this is a wonderful site. So I am still unclear on the techniques for correctly cleaning eyeshadows. I usually keep my brushed clean for each person of course then sometimes scrape the shadows.....you can waist a lot that way. So industry standard is to just wipe a powder product after each person? I have heard everything from scraping them to spraying brush cleaner or alcohol on them. I am new to the industry and the school i went to didn't cover this really. Thanks so much!

becccaak

OK one more question. Do you recommend that even in using your own personal moist products to use a spatula? Like pot concealers, fluidline etc..

thanks again!

Latest posts