MAC "Samples"

Cyanide.Candy

There's a lot of MAC products floating around on LJ and on eBay with authentic looking packaging and product inside, along with real looking boxes, however on the boxes instead of the normal MAC stickers they have a white sticker with the shade name and saying "Sample" beneath.

I bought a lot of MAC items from a well known MUA-er and LJ-seller and they all came with this white sticker saying sample on them like here:

MAC Pigment Eyeshadow - "Melon" (Marked Sample) - eBay (item 150254623368 end time Jun-09-08 15:47:28 PDT)

Does MAC actually make samples like these for counter testers/displays etc.. or are these just more fakes?

It's not just limited to pigments either, I've seen these sample stickers on eye liners, lip liners, paint pots etc etc..

Xqueeze_me

I had these before and it was Revved Up with box and Deckchair with no box. Not faked from what I could see. The barcode on the bottom of the box was just replaced with a "Sample" sticker and the silver label on the bottom of the jar is just a "Sample" printed on it. No batch code. I'm not sure how the "samples" are distributed but I know they exist. The only weird thing about this seller is that she has a lot of "samples" for sale...

Sad to say, I reckon these samples are easy to fake but I haven't come across it yet. I don't think I'd want to see!!

Cyanide.Candy

Yeah that's the thing, I double checked all the "Samples" I got with stuff I bought at an actual MAC counter and it seems to be ok.. but god when you see so much "samples" it's hard to know.

The seller I got them from was in Singapore. I know anything from China and Hong Kong is dodge central, but I'm not sure about Singapore?

She had like 100 items listed, and updates pretty regularly too and even has stuff from new collections - though just in the regular black packaging with sample stickers.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide.Candy
Yeah that's the thing, I double checked all the "Samples" I got with stuff I bought at an actual MAC counter and it seems to be ok.. but god when you see so much "samples" it's hard to know.

The seller I got them from was in Singapore. I know anything from China and Hong Kong is dodge central, but I'm not sure about Singapore?

She had like 100 items listed, and updates pretty regularly too and even has stuff from new collections - though just in the regular black packaging with sample stickers.

I got my Deckchair from Singapore as well and its legit. The seller's legit too. Again, I'm not too sure how the samples work but I think the employees get them or even as samples in goody bags.. There was a seller on eBay loooong time ago who was selling legit MAC pigments (when the fakes are obvious with the thick jar bases) where she got from a goody bag from a Mercedes show or something.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please?

panda0410

I have a Pastorale in my possession thats marked sample and its legit! I'll get some pics later if I can
winks.gif

redambition

Samples are often given out to people in the industry (like beauty writers) to give them a chance to test the product in advance.

Sometimes people either then swap them away or onsell them.

While I haven't seen a counterfeit item with a "sample" sticker, it'd still pay to check the item over carefully.

I'm guessing yours is legit
smiles.gif

Latest posts