Matte Eyeshadows

sedated_xtc

Hey guys, so lately I've been pressing all my pigments (which are all very frosty and shimmery), so I'm compiling a palette of mainly matte shadows. I'm not sure if satin or velvet finishes are also more on the matte side, but i wouldn't mind throwing a couple in there as well.

Any suggestions on what shades would be best to make a badass palette? I'm not much a neutrals girl (I have Plumage, Yogurt, and Gesso which is enough for me already), but otherwise, anything is pretty much open.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Some of the Satins are matte (Scene, for instance). On the other hand, I don't know of a Velvet that is matte. Do you have any eyeshadows other than the ones you've listed?

sedated_xtc

Do you have any eyeshadows other than the ones you've listed?

Well I have some other ones, goldenrod, atlantic blue, hauting, maira's magic, purple shower, louder, please, red brick, and lime. But honestly, I'm having trouble with the neutrals (yogurt, gesso) in application, as in they don't look very pigmented. Any ideas as to how to make it work? :(

shellygrrl

Staff member
What you can do is use a coloured base underneath. NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk is a very good one to use with shadows that aren't super pigmented, particularly lighter colours (it'd work well with Gesso and Yogurt). I think it's also good with making bright colours pop more. Anyhoo, other eyeshadow suggestions... Vibrant Grape, perhaps? Maybe Fuchsia pigment? MAC doesn't really have very many bright matte eyeshadows. If Violet Trance didn't suck, I'd recommend that. In the pan it's a very vibrant cool-tone purple, very beautiful, but the texture is dry and very hard to work with.

Copperhead

Well I have some other ones, goldenrod, atlantic blue, hauting, maira's magic, purple shower, louder, please, red brick, and lime. But honestly, I'm having trouble with the neutrals (yogurt, gesso) in application, as in they don't look very pigmented. Any ideas as to how to make it work? :(

I find with mattes, whether neutral or bright, it's best to pat them on continually building until you get the desired shade. Pat rather than swipe. Do you pat or swipe?

shellygrrl

Staff member
Aaaaannnnd then shortly after I posted, Karla Sugar put up a guest swatch post on her blog featuring the MAC Pro eyeshadows. Lots of mattes, several of which are bright that you may like. http://karlasugar.net/2012/04/guest-swatcher-mac-pro-eyeshadows/

Latest posts