Mixing Medium/Pigments

Shanneran

im going to a pro store this weekend and i dont know whether or not i should get golden olive or kelly green pigment.... i plan on picking up a ton of pigments b/c i cant get much of anything here in calgary.. i want to get either golden olive or kelly green, melon, maroon, pink bronze, steel blue and maybe gold metal... im also going to pick up some pro pallettes as well to get rid of the slight clutter that is the pots... anyways.. anythoughts? ive never been pro before so im a little anxious and unknowing of what is to come :p

oh also.. generally how much are mixing mediums and do you find they are worth it? im sorry if its already posted somewhere about the price.. i really cant find it :p

mac_obsession

Maroon is d/c so you probably wont be able to get that. Mixing medium is AWESOME, I swear by it. It generally goes for like $14-15.
Id go with the kelly green, or steel blue. Ones you cant order online, cause they're pro...
HTH!

devilgirl17

I totally agree about getting the PRO pigments because they aren't available widely, but I do adore golden olive pigment. I only have a sample but it is totally on my full-size wish list.

As for the mixing medium, I generally just use contact solution and it works just as well for me as the water based medium, but I don't know about the oil-based one. I guess it just depends on your taste.

Onederland

i have the face and body mixing medium, which I LOVE.

I dont think its water based, but i love it nonetheless..i mix it with gold pigment to use as gold eyeliner!

its just the most wonderful stuff

mac_obsession

there is a water based, cream based and alcohol based..I dont recall there being an oil based one, but I could be wrong.
They are clearly marked, water based, or face and body (cream base)

Looking at the info in the mixing medium box, both the face and body and water base are actually both water base (water being the fist ingrediant and therefore the most predominant element in the solution)

I personally dont think Id use the alcohol based. I could see that hurting your skin :\ And oil based, oh god I think Id break out from here to nantucket...

Juneplum

the water based m/m is awesome! i've gone thru almost a full bottle (u only need a small amount).. i have very sensitive skin and it doesn't bother my eyes at all... i think it's worth it BUT a lot of people use eye drops and say it does the same thing sooooo try em both out and see which u prefer.. get a sampl of m/m from the pro store and see if u like it b4 buying a full bottle =)

Viva_la_MAC_Girl

I LOVE THE MIXING MEDIUM!!!! If you get it you will to!! Its such a great product!!! I love the Golden Olive Pig!! Melon is a great one to..
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanneran
im going to a pro store this weekend and i dont know whether or not i should get golden olive or kelly green pigment.... i plan on picking up a ton of pigments b/c i cant get much of anything here in calgary.. i want to get either golden olive or kelly green, melon, maroon, pink bronze, steel blue and maybe gold metal... im also going to pick up some pro pallettes as well to get rid of the slight clutter that is the pots... anyways.. anythoughts? ive never been pro before so im a little anxious and unknowing of what is to come :p

oh also.. generally how much are mixing mediums and do you find they are worth it? im sorry if its already posted somewhere about the price.. i really cant find it :p

JasmineH

anyone tried the eyeliner or the lash mixing medium? With the lash mixing medium would you just dampen a mascara wand and then dip it in pigment? Also, does anyone know the prices of the lash and eyeliner mixing mediums?

pinkmilk

I had just tried the eye drops today... ill see how that goes...

but i really want the mixing meduim! Im hearing such wonderful stories about it!

user2

ITA to the Pro Pigment thing!!!

And I can tell you one thing: Gold metal is a bitch! It sticks to everything! I had a a sample and still have it all over my drawer because I dropped it one time.... But it looks sooo nice!!

KJam

I love the mixing mediuim (water based). If you're into pigments, you definitely should get it. I have heard about people making their own with glycerin and water, but if you're near a Pro store, go for it! You won't regret it!

PrettyPanda

How's MAC's mixing medium compared to water or Visine (that's the eyedrops, right?)? There's no pro store here and the closest will be to ask my sister to buy it from Aussie which I believe is more expensive than US. So please convince me if it's really worth buying ...

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPanda
How's MAC's mixing medium compared to water or Visine (that's the eyedrops, right?)? There's no pro store here and the closest will be to ask my sister to buy it from Aussie which I believe is more expensive than US. So please convince me if it's really worth buying ...

Bump. I'd really like to know this myself I heard someone say she uses Visine Tears because the formula has a more slick feel.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPanda
It's a liquid to turn pigments into paint (e.g for eyeliner, etc). It's only available in pro stores.

Oh okay, thanks : )

Pimptress

I've been using Visine to make eyeliners with my pigments, is it worthwhile to buy the eyeliner mixing medium? The visine method + pigments lasts ALL day and night... so maybe I am answering my own question...

However, if I bought the gel-based mixing medium, would I be able to make my own glitter liners? I have sooooooo many glitters and I do nothing with them
ssad.gif

Jess-ee-ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanneran

Are you going to Vancouver? I was just there in February and I absolutely fell in love with the pro store. You have to get golden olive, its beautiful. I hear kelly green and Steel blue are great also. Definitely pick up some mixing medium. I use it with all my lustres because they're such a pain in the ass trying to get them to work. Also, pick up some of the pro brushes and pro lashes. We really can't get anything in Calgary can we? I hear the free-standing store is due to open in June or July now...

Latest posts