mixing pigment with lotion for custom foundation

mae13

I've been experimenting mixing my Pure Luxe and Alima foundation pigments with my facial moisturizer and have been getting good results. The coverage is sheer, which I like, and I like the end result better - it really disappears into the skin, feels very light and I'm not breathing in little pigment particles all over. Plus i get to mix up exactly the right shade.

The only downside is that I stand mixing this stuff up in my hand. I'd like to premix a small pot, but I wonder if I need to be concerned about it spoiling. I'm not inclined to think it will, since the lotion is preserved and I'm not adding anything organic to it that would unbalance the preservative proportions, just some extra pigment.

Makeuplovingal

I love mixing MMU with moisturizer, too...r/o

also mixing MMU with primer is very nice. I always mix right before I put it on...I worry about contamination or going bad, but I have often wondered if I could make batches and not mix everyday.

ruqayya33

icon_bump.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mae13
I've been experimenting mixing my Pure Luxe and Alima foundation pigments with my facial moisturizer and have been getting good results. The coverage is sheer, which I like, and I like the end result better - it really disappears into the skin, feels very light and I'm not breathing in little pigment particles all over. Plus i get to mix up exactly the right shade.

The only downside is that I stand mixing this stuff up in my hand. I'd like to premix a small pot, but I wonder if I need to be concerned about it spoiling. I'm not inclined to think it will, since the lotion is preserved and I'm not adding anything organic to it that would unbalance the preservative proportions, just some extra pigment.

I've been thinking about doing this with my mineral concealer powder. It's a bit of a pain to mix it daily, especially when I'm in a bit of a hurry. I also end up with a little waste. Pre-mixing a batch into a small jar would be nice. I'm just trying to figure out what base to use. (Right now, it's a mix of a little jojoba oil and water.)

ruqayya33

Re: I love mixing MMU with moisturizer, too...r/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuplovingal
also mixing MMU with primer is very nice. I always mix right before I put it on...I worry about contamination or going bad, but I have often wondered if I could make batches and not mix everyday.

What primer do you use?

dmenchi

If you sanatize everything with alcohol before you mix it, you should be able to mix a little batch. do not use your fingers, get alittle spatula and everytime use a little alcohol to desinfect it first and then get a little out of the jar. consider that your moisterizer usually contains antioxidants that r very sensitiv to light and air exposure, so always put it back to a dark cool place like a drawer or so...And when it comes to mixing pigments/loose powders in advance please realize that a small batch is going to stay moist enough for your porduct to maintain the consistency you chose.As poders/pigments usually expand and absorb the water/fliuds in the moisterizer/mixing medium after a few days, so you should take that into account. usually when i mix something i keep it only for about a week...just my five cents
smiles.gif

dmenchi

Re: I love mixing MMU with moisturizer, too...r/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuplovingal

i'm pretty sure that the silicones that give primers their smoothness would be affected by mixing and storing it, therefore the smoothness will be compromised.

Latest posts