• We are currently in the process of rebuilding user permissions. If you find you cannot access something you've normally been able to, please wait until the rebuild process is completed (this message will be removed when it's completed).

Most Over rated MAC Shadow?

NutMeg

I noticed that there is a thread about under rated shadows, but what about those over promoted, highly pubublisized shadows that just didn't perform when you got them home and out of the box?

more_please

Hmm, I would say many of the Lustre formula shadows. I tend to get too much sparkle, and not enough color. Example: mythology

Arlossiel

Honestly, Parrot is pretty overrated. I have it, and it is beautiful, but there's dozens of other shades out there just like it.

joytheobscure

belle azure- I wanted it so bad, I wore it once.. it looks horrid on me. Doesn't blend at all for me - Is it just me??? Every other shadow from that collection I love- except the one I wanted the worst.

bront82

I have to agree, parrot is a beaut, but has too much hype to ever live up to its fame. sadly, i wish mac would seriously produce more matte colors - sometimes all this sparkle motion is just way too much. in the market today, it seems nearly impossible to get non-shiny products (nails, eyes, face, you name it)!

glamella

Trax. It doesn't look at all what I expected to when I put it on. Not plum or bronze, just bruised looking.

ledonatella

There are 2 on my list: Parrot, which like someone said earlier, is a pretty color, but my Cargo Aegean is identical and alot smoother texture, not to mention a bunch of other shadows are very similar.
2nd would be Shroom, it does nothing for me. It blends in with my skin and doesn't show up at all. It does no good as a base or anything else for me.

aquarius11

Idol Eyes....looks HORRIBLE....doesn't even show up on me, just a glittery mess all over my face...ugh.

Isis

I too fell for the lure of Parrot. I adore using fantastic eyecatching colors (tastefully please! though). After hunting it down & finally using it, I must say I was quite dissapointed with the texture and how it looked on my skin
I agree with ladonatella Cargo's Aegean turned out much nicer for me as well.
I'm going to have to add Beaty Marked and Black Tied as well.

jess98765

parrot for sure! its a great shade don't get me wrong but there's just way too much hype for something that you can get replica's - well similar but not exact of, anyways.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledonatella
There are 2 on my list: Parrot, which like someone said earlier, is a pretty color, but my Cargo Aegean is identical and alot smoother texture, not to mention a bunch of other shadows are very similar.
2nd would be Shroom, it does nothing for me. It blends in with my skin and doesn't show up at all. It does no good as a base or anything else for me.

Shroom, definitely. Everyone says they love it and it's a staple but it didn't show up that well. It dodn't provide the type of look that Ricepaper and Nylon do for me.

AllINeedIsMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius11
Idol Eyes....looks HORRIBLE....doesn't even show up on me, just a glittery mess all over my face...ugh.

Me tooo!!!! And it gets all on your nose and side of your face!

Joke

I didn't like Jest. It did nothing for me.
Love Shroom tho.
I guess it's all to do with skin color.

JesusShaves

i'm going with the majority here, parrot... i like it.. but i wouldnt spend more than what it was retailed for
P

PrettyKitty

- Parrot (I would never pay 50$ for Parrot!)
- Trax (The texture is strange, sometimes you only see bronze shimmers, sometimes just a dark purple)
- Satin Taupe
- Gorgeous Gold (I need a Mixing Medium because it's not enough pigmented, still nice though)
- Moth Brown
- Paradisco (Where is the pigment? I need a Mixing Medium too, still nice though)
- Sushi Flower (Everybody seems to like it... not me!)

Most of them doesn't work because my skin is olive/yellow OR they are not enough pigmented.

ledonatella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke
Love Shroom tho.
I guess it's all to do with skin color.

That's exactly it, it's all skin color and personal preference. That's why I don't like to buy into the hype with a shade like Parrot. It's pretty on me, but what if I would've shelled out $50 to find out the opposite? If it works and you love it and you don't mind paying the $$, great but sometimes the MAC hype just takes over.

user3

Another vote for Parrot. I am bound to have old lipstick chunked at me but I don't get the draw of Swimming. It's ok but I find the texture to be a bit odd and it's hard to blend. Plus the color is not as deep as I'd like it to be.