Moving to Another State and Need your advice!!

M.A.C.tastic

Hi!!

Right now my Husband and I live in Baltimore, Md (suburbs) where we have our whole life. Unfortunatly, there has been an increase in crime around us and they have put in a subway/bus line which has brought nothing but scum to our area.

Anyway, we have been wanting to move and I graduate from cosmetology school in 5 months so I want to start looking now. The hubby and I have made a list of possible places and I would love to get some opinions (esp. if you live in or near one of our choices)!!!

I would love to know about the crime/schools/neighborhoods/etc.

1. Alaska (maybe Anchorage)
2. Colorado
3. Seattle
4. Chicago (suburbs, oak park, evanston, highland park/my Aunt lives here)
5. Florida (Del Ray, Boca)
6. Vancouver B.C. (since I'm a MUA and Stylist might be able to find good work?)

Sorry this was so long...Thanks so much for your input!!!!
yahoo.gif

ShugAvery2001

Chicago is a great place to live. All of the burbs you've mentioned are great. I live in orland park. it was listed top 50 places to live in forbes magazine.

ElleMariachi

I go to school in Evanston, and it is a wonderful place--lots of good schools, very family-oriented, nice restaurants, close to public transportation, and it has a college town-y feel to it. I grew up in Chicago (still live in the city) and there are a lot of great places to live there, as well. Also, my best friend lives in Vancouver--it is terrific as well, but living costs are pretty high right now, according to her, but if you can swing it, it's a beautiful place too.

Janice

We're moving to the Denver area next year (spring/summer '09), it's beautiful and the quality of living seems really good.

Jinni

I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and it was great. I taught at the University of Washington, and I really liked the city. It never felt like there was a lot of crime, at least I never encountered any.

The weather wasn't great, but Washington state is beautiful.

marvlgrl2

I live in Portland, OR (and I know this isn't one of your choices) but it's very similar to Seattle. I even feel like Portland is Seattle's younger, less pretentious brother. The weather can be dismal, a fair bit of rain but I grew up on the east coast (Boston) so I'm just happy it's not snow. And I didn't find it rains more in the NW than it does on the east coast. Just throwing it out there! I love my city
smiles.gif

NutMeg

I live in Vancouver. Cost of living is very high, housing is expensive so be prepared to factor that in. I think it's a great city, because it's actually a number of small cities that have grown together it still has a relatively smaller city feeling. I live on the UBC campus, so I can't say too much about schools (other than my own which rocks!) or neighbourhoods. Another big con is the weather, a lot of people find the rain depressing. This fall has been just beautiful, but generally it is very rainy and overcast during the winter.

xsnowwhite

I can comment on 2 of those.
Seattle is my absolute FAVORITE city ever! There is SO much to do and its all (for the most part) within walking distance, esp. downtown. If you don't love the rain though, this may not be the city for you (although I would check it out
smiles.gif
)

Colorado, I hate. I am more of a city person so I felt trapped there. You have to drive to get everywhere and I find that most people are so materialistic (which is probably true for alot of places but I notice it alot here )and that aspect bothers me alot.

pink_lily002

I don't really know much about any of the places you've mentioned, but I can give some input seeing as how I have friends and family in some of those areas! My half-sister lives out in Seattle, and while it's a beautiful state, the weather can be crap at times and the cost of living in some areas is a bit high - I also couldn't get over the 9% tax rate out there lol. I've been spoiled by Maryland's 6% tax (I live in Baltimore County). If you're a city person, Seattle's a fun place, plus you're within driving distance of non-city things, i.e. mountains, Oregon dunes, etc. As for Colorado, my aunt hates it and so does my ex boyfriend. Everyone raves about how pretty it is, how nice it is to be close to the mountains in the winter when you want to go skiing, but they both complain about the amount of snow and the fact that they live on a mountain (both are close to Denver), so they feel a bit trapped up there at times.

Check out cost of living calculators online - they can connect you with worthwhile websites that can give you all the info you need or want! Last year I was considering a move to either Columbus, Ohio or Pittsburgh, and those things were great. What area of Baltimore do you currently live in? I know some of the suburbs, especially some of the ones closer to the city, can be quite sketchy!

M.A.C.tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_lily002
I don't really know much about any of the places you've mentioned, but I can give some input seeing as how I have friends and family in some of those areas! My half-sister lives out in Seattle, and while it's a beautiful state, the weather can be crap at times and the cost of living in some areas is a bit high - I also couldn't get over the 9% tax rate out there lol. I've been spoiled by Maryland's 6% tax (I live in Baltimore County). If you're a city person, Seattle's a fun place, plus you're within driving distance of non-city things, i.e. mountains, Oregon dunes, etc. As for Colorado, my aunt hates it and so does my ex boyfriend. Everyone raves about how pretty it is, how nice it is to be close to the mountains in the winter when you want to go skiing, but they both complain about the amount of snow and the fact that they live on a mountain (both are close to Denver), so they feel a bit trapped up there at times.

Check out cost of living calculators online - they can connect you with worthwhile websites that can give you all the info you need or want! Last year I was considering a move to either Columbus, Ohio or Pittsburgh, and those things were great. What area of Baltimore do you currently live in? I know some of the suburbs, especially some of the ones closer to the city, can be quite sketchy!

Thanks for the info! I actually live in Pikesville/Owings Mills which isn't too close to the city, but it seems everyone from the city is coming to where I live lol.

I am actually leaning to Seattle, as my main reason for wanting to live there is that it is close to Alaska. I went to AK on a cruise in May and fell in love. While I don't think I could live there, I would love to be close to visit often.

Plus, my hubby loves weather, weird I know. Rain, Snow, Cold, Thunder anything excites him, so I figured we would have some of that too!!!

Now, I just need to finish school...

enjoybeingagirl

I just moved to Denver 3 months ago. I love it so far. I'm from a small town so getting used to the city is a bit difficult for me. I love the shopping and dining here. The mountains are, of course, a big attraction. Its great if you like biking, hiking, or other outdoor activities. I haven't noticed much crime here ... but I believe it depends on what area you live in. Overall I'm really happy here.

HustleRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C.tastic

1. Alaska (maybe Anchorage)
2. Colorado
3. Seattle
4. Chicago (suburbs, oak park, evanston, highland park/my Aunt lives here)
5. Florida (Del Ray, Boca)
6. Vancouver B.C. (since I'm a MUA and Stylist might be able to find good work?)

Sorry this was so long...Th
yahoo.gif
anks so much for your input!!!!

chicago is an amazing city. probably your best bet imo of the cities you listed.

have you thought about nyc?