• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

mskitchmas' pressed pigments guide and photos

lia_matos

You just have to wait for the alcohol to fully evaporate (dry it with a blowdryer) , because when it evaporates, it leaves no trace of it on the eyeshadow

ilovexnerdsx

those look very nice! seeing blue brown makes me so upset i didn't get it when it was at my counter *shakes fist at you* lol
smiles.gif

the only reason i wouldnt want to do this is because i keep my shadows in the pots ... hmmm.... maybe when i'm out of one..

tracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lia_matos
You just have to wait for the alcohol to fully evaporate (dry it with a blowdryer) , because when it evaporates, it leaves no trace of it on the eyeshadow

alcohol + heat = flammable = bad idea.

kalice

as long as you don't go above the combustion point for ethanol. It also evaporates pretty fast, much faster than water, and it leaves no residues behind. so there's really no such thing as 'dried alcohol' and rest assured the eyeshadow will be safe on your eyes (after it has evaporated)

mskitchmas

i recommend being patient and just letting the prssed pigments air dry (and set) for about 24 hours. the less they are handled the less chance of a big mess on your hands.

charismaticlime

That's amazing! How much pigment do you go through to make one e/s pan? Is there a certain amount of pigment-alcohol ratio you use to make them or do you just estimate how much is needed?

mskitchmas

^ it depends on the pigment, it's about quarter of a jar, sometimes a little more. i just sort of wing it, alternating drops of alchohol and scoops of pigment, while strirring with a toothpick 'till it's nice and thick. it starts to 'set' a little when it getting close to just about right.

lsperry

BOGO free 21-Shadow palettes on sale at Claire's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitchmas
The pans/tins come from Wet and Wild Eyeshadows. They are the cheapest I could find that are almost exactly the same size as the Mac & UD pans. It's still kind of costly just for a little tin ($1.69 US) but I was eager to get to it! And they do fit into the MAC palettes just fine.

I've also read in another thread that one can use the Claire's boutique eyeshadows.

I like to use a clothes iron to de-pan, but it was easier with a flat iron for these. It was a little work to remove all of the plastic from the case. (I've already thrown them out, otherwise I'd show you.)

And the little plastic spatula came from a kit of an empty bottle and plastic containers I bought at ULTA.

Thanks for your interest!
wavey.gif

I bought two 21-shadow-palettes from Claire’s for $10 as the pans are the perfect size for MAC’s 4 and 15 shadow palettes. (Claire’s had a buy 1 get 1 free sale yesterday and w/taxes, the cost of the pans came out to 25 cents each.) The pans came right out of the container w/out having to use heat or extra prying – About 3-weeks-ago I bought 5 wet ‘n wild eye shadows for $1.99 ea. and then had to do the heat thing to depot them. That was too expensive and way too much work! I bought Fix+ at a CCO and a flower press at a craft store. I’ve tried the alcohol and Fix+. The alcohol dries and sets faster than the Fix+. But I wanted to get another use out of my Fix+ and pressed azreal blue, melon and chocolate brown. Then I used the alcohol to press entremauve and kitschmas. I was amazed and pleased; they work, feel and look just like the loose ones!

Since I have a 3-day weekend (MLK Day January 15) coming up, I plan on pressing the other 35 pigments and putting them in my 4 and 15 pan palettes to get a lot more use out of them!! Organizing them in this fashion lets me see and use them more often as shadows and blushes.

Also, this procedure works for broken eye shadows, too. I had to re-press five of them.

Thanks, again mskitschmas….I love it!
cheerleader.gif

mskitchmas

Re: BOGO free 21-Shadow palettes on sale at Claire's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry

cheerleader.gif

My pleasure, I'm so pleased that it's been helpful!

Bey28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
Since I have a 3-day weekend (MLK Day January 15) coming up, I plan on pressing the other 35 pigments and putting them in my 4 and 15 pan palettes to get a lot more use out of them!! Organizing them in this fashion lets me see and use them more often as shadows and blushes.

Also, this procedure works for broken eye shadows, too. I had to re-press five of them.

cheerleader.gif

Isperry, will you post pics of the Claire's palettes and your pressed pigments when you can? I would love to see this.
eyelove.gif

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bey28
Isperry, will you post pics of the Claire's palettes and your pressed pigments when you can? I would love to see this.
eyelove.gif

Sorry, I can’t do pictures. I’m probably the only one on Specktra who doesn’t have a digital camera. I looked on claires.com website for a picture of the 21-shadow palette I bought from my local mall; I didn’t see it. But, I’m quite sure if you have a Claire’s in your local mall, they’ll have it.

But my pressed-piggies look just like MsKitschmas’ and I use Fix+ instead of alcohol and press 10 pigments at a time w/my flower press.

And while planning which pigments to press 1st, an idea came to me that I could make quads to give to my relatives and friends as gifts. And since I wasn’t sure how long the BOGO free offer would last, I went back and got 2 more 21-shadow palettes. Now I have a supply of containers when I need them.

got_mac

Hi. looks great =) how do u do that? directions please. Thank u so much <3 Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitchmas
Hi there,
Just tried my hand at pressing pigments. It was fun! The labels are made by my fav organizing gadget - an electronic DYMO label maker.

olivegold.jpg

ps - if this belongs in another forum, let me know!

Latest posts