Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

PearlyQueen

Decided to take the afternoon off: youngest was working independently and sod the housework, instead I cropped my mani pictures. Here are a few from the last 10 days or so. There are a couple more to come, but of course I ran out of time.

First is Tonic Polish Blue Razzberry with Topshop Dark Knight (2013 untried) on the accents. I really liked the Tonic and was very pleasantly surprised by the Topshop, it only took 2 coats which is amazing for a crelly.

View attachment 69343

View attachment 69344

Next is Bees Knees RIP These Fish in Particular (over black) with under sea stamping on the accents. I decided to try and do some nail art at the weekends, at the very least some stamping. The BKL was amazing, so shifty and sparkly. I put it over black because on its own it's a much lighter, bit meh colour, but it really pops over black.

View attachment 69345

View attachment 69346

View attachment 69347

View attachment 69348

View attachment 69349

This is Bluebird Lacquer Can't Pee Tamed with Polished for Days Mysa on the accents. This was nice, both polishes are pretty.

View attachment 69350

View attachment 69351

View attachment 69352
Glad to hear you've got some time to yourself! These are all really nice - particularly the Bluebird/Mysa one, but you knew that would be right up my street!

PearlyQueen

Next mani is Frenzy Polish Effie topped with Glam Polish Most Likely to Die on the accents. I was pleasantly surprised by the Frenzy, I only have 3 from her and this was the first I used. But I've heard that the maker is very problematic, so I won't be buying more.

View attachment 69353

View attachment 69354

View attachment 69355

View attachment 69356

This is Different Dimension My Only Love Sprung From My Only Hate with some wonky stamping on the accents (from last weekend). This is such a cool polish, I really love it.

View attachment 69357

View attachment 69358

View attachment 69359

View attachment 69360

Have I told you yet that Max can walk? Not very well, mostly on his tiptoes and he's quite wobbly, but he can take several (15+) steps in one go. Here's a picture of him in his cot from this morning, when my eldest went off to the gym and Max was wondering why he wasn't going out. He still sleeps in the cot, but I take him out after he had his breakfast and then he's free to shuffle around the room.

View attachment 69361
Skipping to the end first, yey, go MAX!!! I'm so pleased he's recovering (and no doubt it will make things a bit easier for you too). He's sooo cute in his cot!
Manis - love the purple, and adore your stamping, which doesn't look wonky to me! I'd love to be able to do something like that but I never mastered it.

Anitacska

Glad to hear you've got some time to yourself! These are all really nice - particularly the Bluebird/Mysa one, but you knew that would be right up my street!

Skipping to the end first, yey, go MAX!!! I'm so pleased he's recovering (and no doubt it will make things a bit easier for you too). He's sooo cute in his cot!
Manis - love the purple, and adore your stamping, which doesn't look wonky to me! I'd love to be able to do something like that but I never mastered it.

Thank you! The stamping was off center, even with the clear stamper I'm unable to line up the image properly. It was okay though.

Anitacska

I managed to crop a few more pictures, so here are some more manis. First is Tonic Polish Foxfire topped with FUN Lacquer Precious (H) on the accents.

IMG_20210510_104601650.jpg

IMG_20210510_104635065.jpg

IMG_20210510_104612576.jpg

Next is Sally Hansen Resolution (2013 untried) topped with ILNP Success (H) on the accents. I was very pleasantly surprised by the SH, it only took 2 coats and was a really nice green with a unique shift.

IMG_20210512_145957615.jpg

IMG_20210512_150008204.jpg

IMG_20210512_145809726.jpg

Finally this is Tonic Polish Vaudeville Venom with Femme Fatale My Jabber-Baby-Wocky?! on the accents (featuring my wisteria). The Tonic had a really weird texture, it was really thick and stringy. I added thinner to it, but it didn't seem to help, although it did spread okay on the nail, but it was weird to apply. I've not encountered a polish like that before.

IMG_20210514_120529984.jpg

IMG_20210514_120546098.jpg

IMG_20210514_120746477.jpg

IMG_20210514_135110646.jpg

Last edited:

Anitacska

I bought 10 prototypes from Different Dimension yesterday. I wanted a few more, but they sold out by the time I had time to watch the reveal video (I think she did it around 5 pm and I only got to watch it at 9 pm). Ah well, I'm happy with the ones I got. They were only $5 each and I got free shipping.

This was my first polish purchase since the PPU/FTLOP box weekend. I've been checking the PPU group and I like a good few, but we'll see. I think I will skip the Glams, although I like 3 (the silver, teal and purple ones from the Greek Gods collection)and might get them next month since they won't be shipping until July anyway. I like a few of the newly revealed Femme Fatales, I'll probably get those since she doesn't restock. Tonic is coming out with 9 new polishes, but only seen 3 so far and they were all swatched by Lisa (Cosmetic Sanctuary) and I find her swatches dull, so not sure how many I'll want. Hope others will swatch them too. Girly Bits has several group customs atm, but I decided to pass as I just can't justify shipping from her to the US and then here (of course, she's stopped shipping to the UK too). I really only wanted one anyway, so it's fine. Passed on HHC too, Anne did you get that Rouge in the end?

Forgot to ask if you like the new EP collection? They look so pretty all lined up, but I only like the purple one. I do love that one though. I will keep an eye out for her next sale, there are a couple I might get too.

PearlyQueen

I managed to crop a few more pictures, so here are some more manis. First is Tonic Polish Foxfire topped with FUN Lacquer Precious (H) on the accents.

View attachment 69373

View attachment 69374

View attachment 69375

Next is Sally Hansen Resolution (2013 untried) topped with ILNP Success (H) on the accents. I was very pleasantly surprised by the SH, it only took 2 coats and was a really nice green with a unique shift.

View attachment 69376

View attachment 69377

View attachment 69378

Finally this is Tonic Polish Vaudeville Venom with Femme Fatale My Jabber-Baby-Wocky?! on the accents (featuring my wisteria). The Tonic had a really weird texture, it was really thick and stringy. I added thinner to it, but it didn't seem to help, although it did spread okay on the nail, but it was weird to apply. I've not encountered a polish like that before.

View attachment 69379

View attachment 69380

View attachment 69381

View attachment 69382
These are nice - my picks are Foxfire and My Jabber-baby-wocky - though I do have that FF and mine was horrible to use!

PearlyQueen

I bought 10 prototypes from Different Dimension yesterday. I wanted a few more, but they sold out by the time I had time to watch the reveal video (I think she did it around 5 pm and I only got to watch it at 9 pm). Ah well, I'm happy with the ones I got. They were only $5 each and I got free shipping.

This was my first polish purchase since the PPU/FTLOP box weekend. I've been checking the PPU group and I like a good few, but we'll see. I think I will skip the Glams, although I like 3 (the silver, teal and purple ones from the Greek Gods collection)and might get them next month since they won't be shipping until July anyway. I like a few of the newly revealed Femme Fatales, I'll probably get those since she doesn't restock. Tonic is coming out with 9 new polishes, but only seen 3 so far and they were all swatched by Lisa (Cosmetic Sanctuary) and I find her swatches dull, so not sure how many I'll want. Hope others will swatch them too. Girly Bits has several group customs atm, but I decided to pass as I just can't justify shipping from her to the US and then here (of course, she's stopped shipping to the UK too). I really only wanted one anyway, so it's fine. Passed on HHC too, Anne did you get that Rouge in the end?

Forgot to ask if you like the new EP collection? They look so pretty all lined up, but I only like the purple one. I do love that one though. I will keep an eye out for her next sale, there are a couple I might get too.
Lovely! And a great price, shame you missed some.
As ever, I don't know what's coming to PPU/FTLOP yet...
The Glams are not really calling me. On sneak peeks I quite liked the darkest of the glittery collection but I won't be getting it now I've seen swatches. And I didn't like any of the gods, until today when swatches made me interested in the reddy orange and the yellowy orange ones, but I'm not thinking I'll bother - will wait and decide later, as you say plenty of time before they ship the one I have on order.
I had no idea GB had stopped UK shipping, another one bites the dust :(
I actually won the naming competition for one of the customs! No prize of course - just bragging rights haha. TBH none of the four float my boat anyway, so not bothered, but it is cool to have your name picked!
I did buy the Rogue, as well as the Wildflower, one of the Ethereal pre-orders and the Nailed It.
The EPs are all too pastel for my taste, I still slightly fancy one of the jelly glitters from one of the recent collections but have so far failed to buy it, which is good.
I have been tempted by a couple of the new Great Lakes polishes and the last polish Lacquered UP put out, but I hate buying in such small quantities when I have to pay $$$ to both ship and consolidate. I'll see what I have going on with my Stackry box later before I commit to either. Speaking of Stackry - my last Illyrian order has not yet shipped, her 2-3 days TAT is a joke. I know it's my own fault for ordering, but I genuinely thought she was only selling what's already bottled these days so I'm surprised I haven't even had the pre-shipping notice - 16 days now! My Nailed It preorder has shipped so pretty soon the box will be started and the countdown will be on again. I also preordered the Sparkle and Shine box I posted about before.

PearlyQueen

Well I'm back down to earth after the fun of trying new brands with my latest mani - Attitude Lilac Lustre topped with Indigo Bananas Spectraflare 14.
lilac lustre spectraflare 14.JPG

This is a very old polish which I've worn many times, I think it's faded as I swear it should be grilac but it's lost its ilac and is just gr... well a fairly nice metallic platinum shade actually! With the no colour background, I think I should have used a heavier version of the IB toppers as it's very subtle and greying wouldn't have mattered, but at least that's an untried topcoat out of the way! It was actually quite nice if a bit demure for me! However not sure if it was the age of the polish or maybe my HK Girl topcoat needs chucked but this only lasted a day before chips began to appear. It's gone now but I haven't taken pics of the latest mani, so I'll post those next time!

Anitacska

Lovely! And a great price, shame you missed some.
As ever, I don't know what's coming to PPU/FTLOP yet...
The Glams are not really calling me. On sneak peeks I quite liked the darkest of the glittery collection but I won't be getting it now I've seen swatches. And I didn't like any of the gods, until today when swatches made me interested in the reddy orange and the yellowy orange ones, but I'm not thinking I'll bother - will wait and decide later, as you say plenty of time before they ship the one I have on order.
I had no idea GB had stopped UK shipping, another one bites the dust :(
I actually won the naming competition for one of the customs! No prize of course - just bragging rights haha. TBH none of the four float my boat anyway, so not bothered, but it is cool to have your name picked!
I did buy the Rogue, as well as the Wildflower, one of the Ethereal pre-orders and the Nailed It.
The EPs are all too pastel for my taste, I still slightly fancy one of the jelly glitters from one of the recent collections but have so far failed to buy it, which is good.
I have been tempted by a couple of the new Great Lakes polishes and the last polish Lacquered UP put out, but I hate buying in such small quantities when I have to pay $$$ to both ship and consolidate. I'll see what I have going on with my Stackry box later before I commit to either. Speaking of Stackry - my last Illyrian order has not yet shipped, her 2-3 days TAT is a joke. I know it's my own fault for ordering, but I genuinely thought she was only selling what's already bottled these days so I'm surprised I haven't even had the pre-shipping notice - 16 days now! My Nailed It preorder has shipped so pretty soon the box will be started and the countdown will be on again. I also preordered the Sparkle and Shine box I posted about before.
I haven't seen anything about the next FTLOP box yet either.
Ooh which polish did you name? I like the light purple one and the dark brown one she's recreated from the PPU giveaway, but not enough to order with all the extra shipping costs.
Illyrian is just a joke now. I never believed that she would change tbh, it's always one excuse after another.
My DD order has shipped already. Now that's how it's done!
I've now seen all of Lisa's swatches and I'm not really tempted by the Tonics, but I'll wait to see more swatches because hers rarely make me want to buy anything. I really don't understand why she gets so many polishes sent to her.

PearlyQueen

Oh no. What was wrong with yours? I only did one coat over the Tonic, but I had swatched it on its own and it was fine.
I think it was really sticky and hard to apply, then a whole nail peeled off after one day. (Not the actual nail, just read that back and it sounded like some horror story - or that brand that was burning people's nails off ?Mentality? or something like that!)

Anitacska

Well I'm back down to earth after the fun of trying new brands with my latest mani - Attitude Lilac Lustre topped with Indigo Bananas Spectraflare 14.
View attachment 69392

This is a very old polish which I've worn many times, I think it's faded as I swear it should be grilac but it's lost its ilac and is just gr... well a fairly nice metallic platinum shade actually! With the no colour background, I think I should have used a heavier version of the IB toppers as it's very subtle and greying wouldn't have mattered, but at least that's an untried topcoat out of the way! It was actually quite nice if a bit demure for me! However not sure if it was the age of the polish or maybe my HK Girl topcoat needs chucked but this only lasted a day before chips began to appear. It's gone now but I haven't taken pics of the latest mani, so I'll post those next time!
It's funny, I can actually see the lilac in this, it's a pretty shade.

I need to crop my latest mani pictures, but as usual, I haven't had time to do it. Also, it just occured to me that by now I would've painted my toenails, but the weather has been so meh, I've been wearing jumpers, so definitely no baring my feet! It's supposed to warm up and dry out from tomorrow though. My lawn is so long now, but it's been impossible to mow it as it's either raining or it's wet after the rain. Poor Max has to drag himself through the long grass and ends up soggy after each toilet visit! Although he does do a lot more walking now, but he's short, so his legs and under his tummy still get wet.

PearlyQueen

I haven't seen anything about the next FTLOP box yet either.
Ooh which polish did you name? I like the light purple one and the dark brown one she's recreated from the PPU giveaway, but not enough to order with all the extra shipping costs.
Illyrian is just a joke now. I never believed that she would change tbh, it's always one excuse after another.
My DD order has shipped already. Now that's how it's done!
I've now seen all of Lisa's swatches and I'm not really tempted by the Tonics, but I'll wait to see more swatches because hers rarely make me want to buy anything. I really don't understand why she gets so many polishes sent to her.
I named Rainboughs, I was surprised it won!
Yup, Illyrian is awful service, and let's be honest I knew that when I ordered, just seems even worse now! Hopefully she'll ship in the next 6 weeks! She has posted nothing on IG or FB since the restock I bought from, and she'd been missing for weeks before that too, I'd hoped it was a brief period of action at least, but apparently not. At least I have other things going to the box that I couldn't have bought without it. The FB group is pretty much dead now too, tumbleweeds...
Yay for DD speedy shipping!

Anitacska

I think it was really sticky and hard to apply, then a whole nail peeled off after one day. (Not the actual nail, just read that back and it sounded like some horror story - or that brand that was burning people's nails off ?Mentality? or something like that!)
Maybe it needed thinning a bit. Thick glitter polishes tend to peel off my nails too.

Latest posts