Name origins....

Lo-Fi_Thriller

i dont post alot, but i always wonder why do they choose certian names for certian colour stories - i see a pattern allready....they go in cycles each year - like the madame b thing - now this new CultureBloom, Madame came out in Marchish/April CultureBloom launching Marchish/April.. - i wonder if anyone else is seeing the pattern - also REbelRock / Rock it but the dates on thoes two dont mach up June/April... but looks like similar colour stores comes out the same time each year- i might be talking heresy but i believe we can predict what MAC is comming out with next with some thinking...

also just realized Naked Lunch is named after William S. Burroughs' crazy book/movie i love that strange ass movie, wonder who snuck that dirty little name in...

2_pink

Well..a lot of it has to do with seasons...Madame B & CultureBloom came/are coming out around the same time cuz thats when spring is...they both go with spring, like the colors.

Just like Naturally Eccentric was for fall...they went with colors that go with that season.

I dont know how they pick the dates for all the other random ones though.

ledonatella

Yeah, like a few years ago Fab Florals was the spring one....summer always has summery names like Tantress or Tan Ray. The one after Christmas is always a lighter (lighter colors) color story like Be Seen, High Tea or this year Lingerie is softer shades. So I get what you are saying........

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller
i dont post alot, but i always wonder why do they choose certian names for certian colour stories - i see a pattern allready....they go in cycles each year - like the madame b thing - now this new CultureBloom, Madame came out in Marchish/April CultureBloom launching Marchish/April.. - i wonder if anyone else is seeing the pattern - also REbelRock / Rock it but the dates on thoes two dont mach up June/April... but looks like similar colour stores comes out the same time each year- i might be talking heresy but i believe we can predict what MAC is comming out with next with some thinking...

also just realized Naked Lunch is named after William S. Burroughs' crazy book/movie i love that strange ass movie, wonder who snuck that dirty little name in...

You are the only person I've encountered (well, I guess you can call it that) that picked up on the Naked Lunch thing.

RougedAndReady

Like most companies, MAC colors/trends go with what's in in Fashion at the time. Note how Tailormade was a lot of tweed, and tweed was big this fall. They don't just pick colors and go "this is spring and this is fall", they reflect what's on the runways that season. Twig was originally Twiggy, after the model, etc. Lots of companies do this, especially NARS and UD... inside sort of joke things. I can't think of any other MAC stuff at the moment but there are lots. UD's biggest is Midnight Cowboy from a XXX movie. Every single NARS name that isnt a place is based on someone or a movie or song or band or person. MAC's toned down on the double meaning thing a lot lately but a ton of their older stuff has pretty cool name origins.

pale blue

I always wondered if Say Yeah was named after the band Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, well that's what I think about when I hear it
lol.gif

I knew about William S. Burroughs reference also, I read a lot of his books when I was younger. Junky was a good book of his too.

ms.marymac

Junky was good.

I figured more people online would get it, it's mainly the people I've talked to in "real life" that are like, "huh?" ha ha

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller

I kind of thought MAC did that 'sneaking in' thing all the time!

I can think of some paints, for instance: Tan Ray = Man Ray (ace surrealist artist), Dada Delight (reference to an artistic movement that was part surreal in origin - but this DD is a cheekhue), Existentialism being black-green is no accident either! Naturalism too is another cultural movement.

Being a big fan of surrealism in all art, especially literature, I really dig their name play (my faves being Cockatease & Tartlette! but there is a thread on this already hence my brackets).

Guess the people who come up with names are really into pop culture, or studies humanities at uni (oh, hang on, they'd be employed then, wouldn't they? :p like me and half my friends!!!)?

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
hmm, seems like they're up to something...

Heh heh, making us social studies/humanities people think we're smart for getting all the 'in' jokes??? *flutters eyelashes*

Actually, I do find it funny. Even a cut above 'Bite My Cherry' lipgloss etc. (though Pout rock too).

Latest posts