Need Help Determining Eye Shape and Recreating a Look (pics included)

malaviKat

Hey all...

I had a question (obviously).
tong.gif
Actually, I have a couple of questions and I have included my bare eyes for your perusal.

First, what sort of eye shape would you say that I have? I've asked a MAC MUA in person and she seemed to think I had "almondine" shaped eyes (I think she made that term up because I do not have eyes that look like a metamorphic rock) that were slightly downturned. I suppose the obvious way to interpret that would be exactly as it sounds, but that leaves me asking...what the heck should I do when placing my eye shadow? I have (what seems like) wayyyy too much space between my lids and my brows.

Second, how do I recreate looks that take shadow high over the crease (such as the one below)? Can I even pull this off?! I love the way this looks but every time I've tried to recreate something like this I end up looking like a Caribbean version of Mimi Bobeck (ala The Drew Carey Show) and not like the lovely monroemisfit (Jody) who has so inspired me.

The cat's eye look would be great but I think I've only once managed to properly position my shadow.

Your help is appreciated!

VeganChick

You have fairly normal-shaped eyes. However your brows and browbone are shaped very differently than the woman in the pictures you've posted. You have gorgeous eyes, don't be ashamed of them!

When you apply shadow, I would recommend following your crease for the first portion (inner section), and then follow the general line of your brow outward, going higher than your crease. Don't meet your eyebrow with a bright/dark color and you'll be fine. See the amount of space between the shadow and the brow in the yellow-orange-pink look? Keep roughly at least that much at all times.

Too bad I don't have Photoshop on this comp or I could illustrate something...

HTH!

glamqueen1

First of all, I have to agree with VeganChick above that you have truly beautiful eyes, beautifully shaped and your eyebrows are also long and gorgeous, I think you can pull of anything. I also want to say that I hate the Mimi- caractère in Drew Carry Show, I find her so insulting. The person who came up with her must hate women and be afraid of colourful women, so just put her out of your mind!
Whatever eyeshape you have, you can always work it! Sometimes it just takes some practice to find out how, though. I'm giving you a link to one of my favourite swedish bloggers and her FOTDs, (she always writes some in english too) sometimes she makes a schedule of her eyelid to show where she puts what, it's all very educational-

Rocketqueens blogg; makeupaholics, welcome! -
good luck, girl!

malaviKat

Thank you both. The pictures (I should have specified more clearly) are of monroemisfit's eyes. I absolutely LOVE her work (and she has been helpful enough to answer my questions on occasion.) She has such a huge fanbase now however, that I've decided not to bother her with every little thing. LOL

VeganChick: Your comments on my eyebrows are valid. I also have a love/hate thing going with my eyebrows. They aren't particularly unruly (if I stay on top of them) but they seem to naturally follow a pattern that could easily result in rainbow brows if I'm not careful. :p Oh how I adore the defined arch.

glamqueen1: I agree with your comments on Mimi. (Though I will say...she knows how to blend!) :p Thank you for the link - going to check it out now!

Latest posts