Need Work Advice! Help!

abbyquack

Ok so maybe someone here has been in a similar predicament. I have been working on and off for the same company for about 4 years. This summer I have been offered a management position, and I was very excited to take this step up in the company. I was a supervisor last summer and it was kinda a breeze, but this new management position is very intense, and a lot of responsibility rides on my shoulders. I am excited for the new experience it will offer me. I didn't ask what the pay was going to be when I accepted the position because it was not the #1 priority, and also because I know (for a fact) what the previous 2 women in the same position made, and so I guess I assumed it would be in the same ballpark.

However, today I got my position agreement via email and the amount is significantly less than I expected. From me being a supervisor last year to a manager this year, I am basically getting a .50 raise! Which is like, $20 a week more, less than that after taxes. It's not that I can't get by on the pay, because I will be fine, but I also feel that for the intricacy of the job, it's kind of insulting. I want to negotiate with my boss to see if I can't get a slightly higher rate, but I don't want to offend anyone or make them think I am being greedy. Especially since I have never raised the issue of pay. What is a good way to confront this issue? Any good lines I need to know? Or should I just keep quiet and accept the current pay?
th_dunno.gif

Shadowy Lady

I would say you should def negotiate with your boss but you need to go in prepared. I would do some research to see what managers are making in your particular field in the region you're located. If you do your homework and go in prepared with charts and papers in hands and ask him for a higher pay reasonably, I don't see why he would refuse. Do not worry about offending ppl when all you're asking is within your qualification/job duties. Nobody wants to lose a good employee especially someone they just promoted. So I wouldn't worry about that
winks.gif

Too often women make less than men in work place simply because they're too shy/afraid to offend ppl by asking for a raise.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
smiles.gif

purrtykitty

I would say that e-mail you received was an opening offer. If you feel you're worth more, then speak up! I'd keep a couple of things in mind, though, first, the economy situation, the company may not be able to pay you as much as those other two women because of the financial situation it is in. Second, do you have the same amount of experience and education as the previous two women in that position? If not, that may be the reason why you were offered less money. Third, go in with a reasoned argument as to why you are worth more. The more concrete examples you can give your manager, the more likely he/she is to offer you more money. Finally, it doesn't sound like you have any leverage (i.e. another job offer waiting in the wings) so you'll really want to think about the amount you're asking for. As you said, you don't want to offend the company. Technically, if you counter-offer another amount, the company has the option to accept or reject (or make another offer) and if they reject, that could be it...no job.

Good luck, Abby! I think you're looking at this with the right attitude. I truly believe it can't hurt to ask, especially if you have a good argument as to why you're worth the extra dough!

LMD84

yes i agree that there is nothing wrong with asking them for a slightly higher pay rate. just back up why you ware worth it and that you feel it's alot more responcibility for not much extra pay. good luck with everything and congrats on getting the job!

Latest posts