New job!! And other good stuff!! Plus a question...

Gloriamgo

So, I was just offered a job I interviewed for yesterday!! I'm very excited, as it will be my first post-college job (I just graduated a little less than a month ago) and it's such good experience and will definitely be beneficial for when I apply for graduate school. AAAaaaaannnd, I'm finally gonna have a very nice disposable income, which means that I'll be able to save enough money to buy a new car in a few months!!!! AAAahhhh, I can't wait!!

I'm so excited, but also a little sad because I will be working the overnight shift on the weekends (Thursday through Sunday), so I will essentially have no life (as in going out with friends, for a 22 yr old, that is very hard to accept)!!

Does anyone else work an overnight (graveyard) shift? How do you handle it?

Jaim

Congrats on the job.
smiles.gif

I've never worked the graveyard shift but I'd imagine that you'd soon get used to it. I think people who work that shift get used to running on a little less sleep so that they can see friends and do other things.

joytheobscure

Congrats on the Job! I've never worked that shift so I can't give you advice. My sister does and she sleeps in the day and stays up all night even when she is off.

Gloriamgo

thanks guys
smiles.gif

i think the fact that i'm already used to not getting enough sleep will work to my advantage, that and all the all-nighters i pulled for school in the last year...i guess it was practice lol

janelle811

congratulations
smiles.gif

That is disappointing about having to work that late, hopefully you get a weekend off sometimes!

What kind of job is it?

Gloriamgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle811
congratulations
smiles.gif

That is disappointing about having to work that late, hopefully you get a weekend off sometimes!

What kind of job is it?

thank you

but i doubt that i'll ever get a weekend off, i imagine it will be hard to convince someone to cover for me...

it's at a children's home/group home for kids with behavior problems and/or who have been abused or neglected

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Congratulations on the Job! sorry if this is a little late. I know how you feel about the long hours and weekends though
oh.gif
/ It wont be as bad as it seems now

Another Janice!

I was on 3rd shift for years. 5 days on...2 block days off. It really wasn't so bad. There is no way in hell I could do it now with 2 kids though...which is the biggest reason I don't work there anymore!

You just have to make yourself get up at a certain time in the day so that you can live somewhat. Try to be consistent about it though. If you get off at 7, but have to wind down first, try to always get to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time everyday.

You will inevitably crash and that plan will go all to hell every so often, but hey...the pay differential is usually worth it!

Gloriamgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Janice!
I was on 3rd shift for years. 5 days on...2 block days off. It really wasn't so bad. There is no way in hell I could do it now with 2 kids though...which is the biggest reason I don't work there anymore!

You just have to make yourself get up at a certain time in the day so that you can live somewhat. Try to be consistent about it though. If you get off at 7, but have to wind down first, try to always get to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time everyday.

You will inevitably crash and that plan will go all to hell every so often, but hey...the pay differential is usually worth it!

thanks for the advice, i will still be working at my other job, so by the time i get home to sleep i KNOW i'm just going to go to sleep. this will be my first full week, so we'll see how it goes! i think i'll be okay, at least the working on the weekends and working the long hours will help me save a lot of money fast, which is what i need to do if i want a bmw by next year!

i actually think i'll like working those hours though, i've worked one night already and it went by quickly and i didn't get sleepy, yay for me!!

and thanks to everyone else for the congratulations and well wishes, it make me feel special :cartwheel:

Eoraptor

I worked graveyard shift for a few months at a department store. I'd like to give you positive advice, but I was miserable! I'm a night person, but I learned that doesn't include performing manual labor at night. Plus I had no life, of course. Sleep at 8 am to 4 pm, eat dinner, have a few hours to live, go to work, repeat. But if it's only on weekends, that's better. The hardest part will be changing your sleep schedule constantly. When I was working the early morning shift at Nintendo I did that with NyQuil, but I'm sure there are better ways.

Congrats in any case! Hope it works out better for you.