• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pigment pressing tutorial (loaded with pic)

luvme4me

has anyone tried this with bare escentuals? Also is it sake to use alcohol around your eyes?

Hi! Thanks so much for this tutorial! Since you and I talked (on MUA) about the Claire's palette, I went to Claire's and sure enough you were totally right!! They (my MAC's) fit PERFECT!!! I dont even know what that lady on the net could have been thinking!!!
Thanks again!,
Loracbd

Emi-lyn

Really nice and helpful tutorial! Thank you very much!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
this is great, thanks!! - but i cant find isopropanol anywhere, here in england! :-(

Have you asked someone in the apothecary/drugstore? I managed to buy a bottle of 100% isopropyl alcohol in a apothecary, when i asked personnel for help. The personnel got the bottle from the store room, since it wasn't for sale in shelf.

Isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol - Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miss A

AWESOME!!!! I WILL NOW REFER TO YOU AS THE CUTE LITTLE MAC scientist!
i am excited to try this...
yahoo.gif

Judymomocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi-lyn
Really nice and helpful tutorial! Thank you very much!
smiles.gif

Have you asked someone in the apothecary/drugstore? I managed to buy a bottle of 100% isopropyl alcohol in a apothecary, when i asked personnel for help. The personnel got the bottle from the store room, since it wasn't for sale in shelf.

Isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol - Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They called it Surgical spirit in England if i m not mistaken!

Wow this sounds like so much fun. I just recently depotted almost all my eyeshadows and off to return my packaging to MAC and get free lipsticks or lipglosses
smiles.gif
I need to do this. Loose pigment is so annoying but i love them.. pressing them is going to be so much easier to carry and easier to apply.Thanks for the this tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judymomocoa
Tools:
#1. Claire's 21 e/s palette
#2. knife
#3. spatulas
#4. push pin
#5. 3" c-clamp (at hardware store or biglots for $2.99)
#6. empty Vasine bottle (i saved mine after it was empty)
#7. 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol
#8. wet wiper or kitchen towel
#9. denim patch
#10. Coins (quarter)
#11. MAC pigment
#12. fan brush (the brush is for dusting & swiping away excessive pigment, the tip works as stirrer, i bought mine at local craft store for $2.99)

1.jpg

3.jpg

Part I: DEPANNING
Step 1. Stratch off eyeshadow with knife
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Step 2. Effortlessly dig out the pan using push pin, the glue isnt that sticky
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Step 3. Cleans with wet wiper.
11.jpg

Part II: MIXING PIGMENT
Step 4. Transfers rubbing alcohol to empty vasine bottle.
12.jpg

Step 5 .Fills the desired amount of pigments into the pan with spatula.
13.jpg

Step 6. Starts filling the pan with 3/4 full of pigment but not fills up the pan full with pigment, add more gradually after alcohol is mixed, this is to prevent overflown of the pigment while stirring. Add about 10-15 drops of rubbing alcohol using vasine bottle, only adds enough alcohol to let the pigment soaked in the alcohol.
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Step 7. Stirs the alcohol & pigment mixture with the tip of the fan brush, MUST mix them thoroughly!
19.jpg

21.jpg

Step 8. Set aside and let it dries at least 2 hours

Part III: PRESSING PIGMET
22.jpg

Step 9. Using c-clamp method, place 1 quater on the top of denim patch and insert them to the surface of the pan, then 2nd quarter at the bottom of the pan, starts pressing it for at least 5 minutes
23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Thanks for looking!
I hope y'all ENJOY

I think I've purchased from you on ebay,lol....Well
before pressed & pigment samples were booted(I SO DON'T AGREE W/THAT ON,FREE ENTERPRISE"N ALL)Thanks so much for this tutorial,you're the best...now my piggies will stay put better in transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndsy
Will this work with the glitters? Anyone know?

So far its working great with the pigments, thanks for the tutorial!

no it won't work w/glitters,no powder to make it all stick to itself & keep it in pan,just like some piggies are more fragile & flake easier than others.I've tried it,not just saying an opinion,tried it w/reflects blue.

Fataliya

Has anyone tried to press Fyrinnae pigments? Does it take away the shimmery-ness?

Also, if I have some shadows that are in a square pan, and I want them in a round pan, can I smoosh them up and then repress in a round pan?

glamblover

i wanted to try to do the pigment press but i only have 1 pigment so far. i dont use them a lot so i wanted to buy the samples. i think they usually come as a half teaspoon...

is that enough to fill a pan?

Kismet29

Hey this is awsome and if you go to TKB trading.com you can buy the pans and pallets and pigments already empty. Then you don't have to buy the other pallet its super cheap too and with this methid you could afford to make all your own shadows!

ButterflyKeeper

I have 70% alcohol, it works just as good as 100%, but it takes just a tad longer to dry. Other than that, it's just as good!

Latest posts