pigment samples?

thelilprincess

i own 3 full size pigments - 2 i've had for a couple years now and seriously, it doesn't even look like i put a dent in them. i don't use these everyday, so that's why they still look full.

i'm thinking of getting some pigment samples (oh, so bad b/c i'm not suppose to spend money)....but wondering what sizes to get. are 1/4 tsp too small? are 5 gram jars too much?

what's your opinion? tia!

melliquor

It depends what you will use it for. If you can use it for more than one purpose, I would get a 5g sample. Samples are a great way of trying out different pigments. I love getting them.

lobsteriffic

I have the same problem...I love pigments but it would take me forever to use up a jar. I just started ordering samples (1/4 tsp.) and I'm waiting for them to arrive.

KTB

Where do you guys order you samples from? I've heard a few people say to get them at your MAC store - can you do this?

I want to try out pigments too but am afraid of buying the whole thing and hating it.

SerenityRaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB
Where do you guys order you samples from? I've heard a few people say to get them at your MAC store - can you do this?

I want to try out pigments too but am afraid of buying the whole thing and hating it.

yeah, you can ask for them at the store

KTB

Thanks SerenityRaine. I'll be near an actual store in August so I know what I'm going to do
greengrin.gif

Now, next dumb question - is there a specific amount I should ask for and what will it cost me (roughly)? Okay I guess that was 2 questions
smiles.gif

thelilprincess

i was going to buy some from a seller in the clearance bin here. i dunno if they'll have the pro colors at my stand alone MAC (not a pro store but they do sell palettes and pan e/s)....for weeks i've been wanting emerald pigment b/c of abissh's tutorial. lol. i'm such a biter.

offdhook21

I have quite a few full size pigments, that I barely touch as well. I can sell you some samples, if interested message me =)

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB
Thanks SerenityRaine. I'll be near an actual store in August so I know what I'm going to do
greengrin.gif

Now, next dumb question - is there a specific amount I should ask for and what will it cost me (roughly)? Okay I guess that was 2 questions
smiles.gif

May I give my input?? If you go to a store/counter and flat out ask for samples.. they will *probably* be more hestitant to give them to you.. rather than if you bought a sh!tload of stuff and then ask for something to try after the sale. Another thing is if you get to know your MA's ahead of time and become friends and always buy then it's a different story. Be gracious, as they have goals to make as well, not just to hand out free samples all day!!
smiles.gif

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletB
May I give my input?? If you go to a store/counter and flat out ask for samples.. they will *probably* be more hestitant to give them to you.. rather than if you bought a sh!tload of stuff and then ask for something to try after the sale. Another thing is if you get to know your MA's ahead of time and become friends and always buy then it's a different story. Be gracious, as they have goals to make as well, not just to hand out free samples all day!!
smiles.gif

Thanks, I was just going to point this out =)

Always be gracious, as mentioned above, and purchase at least several items before you ask to try a pigment. The MA's at MAC are great people..get to know them at your fav store and they will not only be less hesistant at giving you samples to try before purchasing, but they will also be able to better help you/advise you on your makeup needs (ahem addiction
graucho.gif
).

KTB

Oh I had no intention of just going and asking for samples. I have quite the list of things I know I'm going to buy when I go
greengrin.gif
My problem is the closest store or counter is minimum 2 hours from me so I really can't get to know the MAs in there
ssad.gif

I never expected them to be free either I fully expected that I'd have to pay for them. I'd just like to be able to try the pigment colours before commiting to the entire jar since they are quite big.

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB
Oh I had no intention of just going and asking for samples. I have quite the list of things I know I'm going to buy when I go
greengrin.gif
My problem is the closest store or counter is minimum 2 hours from me so I really can't get to know the MAs in there
ssad.gif

I never expected them to be free either I fully expected that I'd have to pay for them. I'd just like to be able to try the pigment colours before commiting to the entire jar since they are quite big.

Oh wow, 2 hours!!
Just to fulfill my own curiousity lol, which pigments did you want to try?

KTB

Yep I either go to Toronto or Ottawa. On the Toronto side they're a little closer because there are some in the East end but it's still and hour and a half anyway.

I'm looking to check out the pigments because I skate on a Synchro team and am in charge of make up for competition next year. I'd like to get an idea of the colours available to us and be able to try them out once we pick our theme for the program. That way I haven't bought some lovely colour that doesn't show up on the ice no matter how much you put on or something that doesn't fit out theme at all KWIM?

Love Always Ivy

wow i never knew you could ask for samples. im gonna ask for one when i make my gigundo rushmetal & flashtronic purchase next week

Dizzyray822

Well....I have never bought pigment samples before and I am just wondering how sanitary that really is? Does anyone have input? Thanks!

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB
Yep I either go to Toronto or Ottawa. On the Toronto side they're a little closer because there are some in the East end but it's still and hour and a half anyway.

I'm looking to check out the pigments because I skate on a Synchro team and am in charge of make up for competition next year. I'd like to get an idea of the colours available to us and be able to try them out once we pick our theme for the program. That way I haven't bought some lovely colour that doesn't show up on the ice no matter how much you put on or something that doesn't fit out theme at all KWIM?

If you're stopping by in Toronto, I highly recommend going to the only MAC PRO there...they have a LOT more pigment colors to choose from!

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyray822
Well....I have never bought pigment samples before and I am just wondering how sanitary that really is? Does anyone have input? Thanks!

Whenever I make pigment samples, I wear disposable gloves and use a either a sanitized meausuring spoon or a disposable one to scoop the pigment out of the original jars into brand new sample jars so my fingers or other unclean objects never touch the original pigment (or the sample) - at least that's what I hope others do when I get samples from them since I guess you kind of have to take their word for it. Although, once I received a pigment sample that obviously was not so 'sanitary' as there were a few bits of things that should not have been in there lol.

AfricanaEyes

I love samples. I don't own any full jar of pigments. 1/4 tsp seems like nothing, but it really goes a long way for me. I order my pigments from a seller here on Specktra....1165Cheryl. She has a looot of selections for extremely low prices.

Oh....and I always ask for samples when I shop at MAC too. If I'm spending over $40, which I usually do, I think it's okay to ask for one.

saj20052006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanaEyes
I love samples. I don't own any full jar of pigments. 1/4 tsp seems like nothing, but it really goes a long way for me. I order my pigments from a seller here on Specktra....1165Cheryl. She has a looot of selections for extremely low prices.

Oh....and I always ask for samples when I shop at MAC too. If I'm spending over $40, which I usually do, I think it's okay to ask for one.

I agree. MY MAs love me, of course because I'm always buying and letting them try unusual looks on me. Whenever I ask for a pigment sample, I get a full MAC sample jar.

Latest posts