Preparing for my first day at MAC - nerves!

shorty

Well I havent been nervous, just excited, but I start on Saturday and all of a sudden I am a bag of nerves!! any advice on calming me down and making sure Im prepared!?

Im just getting my brushes washed now, my clothes are spotlessly clean and Ive checked with the counter, we are doing a look for the day so I need to show up 30mins early to get my face done...!

I just hope I can help all my customers, I just feel like there is so much that I dont know...!

baybehbekah

you'll do great & you'll have loads of fun! just enjoy it and take everything in!
smiles.gif

Loveleighe

i haven't started yet but that's how i feel. I know a lot about MAC but i feel like there is so much i don't know. Every counter is different as far as products they have and don't i was given a quick list of basics like foundation, concealers, and mascara but what if i suggest a product that counter doesn't have. I think while you get your makeup done you should ask for a tour of the counter and that sort of stuff to make it a little more bearable. you'll do awesome so just breathe.

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveleighe
i haven't started yet but that's how i feel. I know a lot about MAC but i feel like there is so much i don't know. Every counter is different as far as products they have and don't i was given a quick list of basics like foundation, concealers, and mascara but what if i suggest a product that counter doesn't have. I think while you get your makeup done you should ask for a tour of the counter and that sort of stuff to make it a little more bearable. you'll do awesome so just breathe.

yeah Im just a bit of a panicker!! The counter I'm at is pretty big, I had a good look about at my demo... I just want to be able to recommend the PERFECT foundation, the right lip colour, not be bugging theother girls TOO much... Like i know about the products I use, and I know exactly how they work etc its just all the products that i DONT!!

why does MAC do so many amazing things hehe

lilchocolatema

Don't worry...it takes a few weeks before you are recommending the perfect foundation!!! But, it all makes sense later down the line. I promise!!! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
yeah Im just a bit of a panicker!! The counter I'm at is pretty big, I had a good look about at my demo... I just want to be able to recommend the PERFECT foundation, the right lip colour, not be bugging theother girls TOO much... Like i know about the products I use, and I know exactly how they work etc its just all the products that i DONT!!

why does MAC do so many amazing things hehe

glam8babe

im sure youll be amazing
smiles.gif
... they wont expect you to know every single thing so just ask if you need help
and dont worry!!! i bet you'll go there and be like "why was i so nervous?" lol i always do that

FacesbyNiki

Don't be nervous. You'll have fun.
smiles.gif

Just take note that if you are starting on a saturday and you are coming to the counter to get your make up done, make sure you get there extra early, it's going to be a busy day. My first day which was also a saturday, I was just thrown in because the counter was so crazy.
smiles.gif

Bernadette

Okay, here goes my advice....

Do get there extra early for your makeup.
Ask to be shown around the counter and this includes where drawers are etc.
Introduce yourself to everyone and repeat their names in your head. Don't be afraid to tell some of the artist's that it is your first day and that you don't want to be a bother but that you might have some questions and would really appreciate their help
smiles.gif
If you don't know, ask for help. Try not to interupt of course, but people shouldn't be bothered by you, it's not that big of a deal.
Big important product advice here that I find trips most people up. Dun dun dun..... most people wear NW concealers. I don't care if their skin is an NC or sometimes even a C. Most of our NC concealers go grey on the undereye. Unless someone has a very yellow undertone, try NW first. This holds true to the point that my lead trainer flatout told us that we probably won't ever even touch the NC's and for the most part not to bother with them.
Always stay busy. If there is a lull in business for some reason, clean, schematisize, grab stock, etc.
Oh and if you want to be permanent let the managers know. At the end of your shift go to them and ask them for feedback.

Good luck, you'll rock it! You're not expected to know everything, just as long as you are anxious to learn, that is all that matters
thmbup.gif

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
Okay, here goes my advice....

Do get there extra early for your makeup.
Ask to be shown around the counter and this includes where drawers are etc.
Introduce yourself to everyone and repeat their names in your head. Don't be afraid to tell some of the artist's that it is your first day and that you don't want to be a bother but that you might have some questions and would really appreciate their help
smiles.gif
If you don't know, ask for help. Try not to interupt of course, but people shouldn't be bothered by you, it's not that big of a deal.
Big important product advice here that I find trips most people up. Dun dun dun..... most people wear NW concealers. I don't care if their skin is an NC or sometimes even a C. Most of our NC concealers go grey on the undereye. Unless someone has a very yellow undertone, try NW first. This holds true to the point that my lead trainer flatout told us that we probably won't ever even touch the NC's and for the most part not to bother with them.
Always stay busy. If there is a lull in business for some reason, clean, schematisize, grab stock, etc.
Oh and if you want to be permanent let the managers know. At the end of your shift go to them and ask them for feedback.

Good luck, you'll rock it! You're not expected to know everything, just as long as you are anxious to learn, that is all that matters
thmbup.gif

thats some great advice thankyou
thmbup.gif

I am already permanent, they have already given me more hours than i applied for after my demo too, and I have recieved my contract in the mail... so I know I have the skills its just the little bits, I just want to do so well!!

I will DEFINITELY take that on board about the concealers... and i will show up an hour before even though she only said half an hour, just to make sure I get set up ready!! Will give me a chance to properly meet everyone too...

I will update afterwards

Jot

Just wishing you Good Luck. Did you say you were working in Manchester as you have mentioned Newcastle in your FOTD posts?? (i'm in newcastle that's all x)

shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot
Just wishing you Good Luck. Did you say you were working in Manchester as you have mentioned Newcastle in your FOTD posts?? (i'm in newcastle that's all x)

yeah its complicated!! I live in Sunderland now, but we have always planned to move to manchester this year, so i applied for mac as soon as 2008 rolled in... so Im kinda moving straight away to start work and then be back and forth for a bit until my boyfriend can transfer with his job too!!

Jot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
yeah its complicated!! I live in Sunderland now, but we have always planned to move to manchester this year, so i applied for mac as soon as 2008 rolled in... so Im kinda moving straight away to start work and then be back and forth for a bit until my boyfriend can transfer with his job too!!

Ah i see! that makes more sense now. i could have popped in on sat (any excuse) if i was in town had you been in newcastle. x

chocolategoddes

quick question: what do you all mean when you say " get your makeup ready"? shouldn't you do that at home or are you allowed to do it at the counter. Or do you mean something else (like sanitizing and organizing the displays)

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
quick question: what do you all mean when you say " get your makeup ready"? shouldn't you do that at home or are you allowed to do it at the counter. Or do you mean something else (like sanitizing and organizing the displays)

Since it his first day she may not have the colors that are needed for the specific look that they are doing. Since she hasn't been at the store she wasn't able to make herself testers to use at home.
Often time's when we have a specific look to do, in particular if it requires LE product we will make ourselves testers of what we can and come in early to apply our lips etc.

Latest posts