Pressed Powders?

Showgirl

Hi folks, apologies if there's a similar thread somewhere (I looked, but couldn't find one) and I'd appreciate some advice here...

I have run out of pressed powder (most recently been using a cheapass L'Oreal one I bought in a £1 shop) and am looking for some recommendations. I have some decent quality loose powder at home, what I'm looking for is a decent compact powder to take around with me for touchups, which are relatively frequently required, as my skin's quite oily.

My skintone is NW20 and my foundations of choice are either Select Tint SP15, or Clinique Superfit makeup when I need a touch more coverage, which is also quite soft and glowy, as I do prefer a lighter "dewy" look to my makeup than something really full coverage. Therefore I need a powder that won't ruin the kind of glowiness I prefer. I have a bit of Studio Fix powder left (this used to be my fave foundation about a year ago) and am using this at the moment, but it's too "cakey" for me, really. I'd prefer something that mattifies but is more sheer.

My HG pressed powder to date was Urban Decay Surreal Skin compact powder in "Illusion", which was sheer but mattifying, a great colour for me (great for sallow complexions, a lot of other powders go on very white or orange on me), and came in a really robust compact with a great little magnifying mirror, but I haven't seen it in my local stores for ages, I suspect they've long d/c it... a little went a long way with this product, and I'd happily buy it again if I could get my hands on it....

My "most wanted" qualities in a powder compact in descending order ergo are:-

- portability (powder gets carted about with me EVERYWHERE and I'm a klutz, so it needs to be robust. I've had LOADS bust on me in my bag).

- oil/shine control

- a shade and finish that's "barely there" on warm toned, pale skin and not at all "cakey"

- HG compact would have a decent mirror inside the compact

- long lasting

Don't care about cost too much, don't mind paying for something that's good as powder lasts a long time. Also don't care about the included puff/brush as I carry my own anyway. Can anyone advise a good product?

Is Mac Blot powder worth my while having a look at? It has fairly mixed reviews on MUA....

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, Sho x

Kiseki

My skin is quite oily and I need two different pressed powders during the year.

During the Winter I will use Laura Mercier's Pressed Powder or Chanel's Poudre Universel Compacte, during the Summer I'll opt for MAC Blot Powder.

I've been wanting to try Benefit's Dr. Feelgood, has anyone used it?

Ithica

I was previously using a Clinque powder ('stay-matte') with no oils.. I found that it actually seemed to cause more oil then eliminate it.

I'm now use Mac blot powder in medium and I adore it. I always worry that powders look too cakey on my skin but i think the coverage just right. As for the actual compact.. I keep mine in my bag but I am careful, I've heard alot of incident of people having their get smooshed but I guess the loose form of this would be more ideal for you? What i love about it is the fact it doesn't leave colour (well, sure doesn't look like it) It just matches up perfectly and is pretty transparent for me.

The mac plot does have a nice mirror inside, and i do find the power much longer lasting *buhbyeoil*

user79

Why don't you try the MAC Select Sheer pressed powder?
Quote:
Select Sheer/Pressed
Micro-fine, sheer and silky. Pressed for portability. Goes on lightly. Won't shift your shade or leave its mark. Lets skin's natural vitality and freshness glow through. Comes with its own suede-finish sponge. Blurs lines. Makes skin look flawless.

Showgirl

Thanks to all of you! I definitely am going to start by having a chat with the lass at MAC and looking at their selection of powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
I've been wanting to try Benefit's Dr. Feelgood, has anyone used it?

Yup, it's the weirdest stuff, it has a vaseline-like consistency and the pot's very strange. I used it for about 3 years in my mid 20s and thought it was great as it seemed to really minimise my pores and just kinda "lift" and even out my skin enough that I didn't need much (if any) foundation, then... weirdly... it just kinda stopped working for me and just sat there on my skin like a weird pseudo-gel oily salve. Dunno if this was due to changes in the formulation or my own skin as I aged. In fact, I'm now half convinced that I was only imagining half the benefits that I thought it was giving me back when I started using it, case of "it's expensive so it must work" wishful thinking or something.... the pot and the sponge it comes with are really unhygenic too, another of its problems....

My recommendation is go somewhere that sells Benefit and try a bit for yourself. It is the WEIRDEST stuff and it ain't cheap.

Latest posts