question about empty palettes

xxAngelxx

This may be a dumb question, but I just got a 15-pan palette with the pans and magnets from Stars Makeup Haven so I can start depotting at last. I just put my first depot into the palette but the magnet does not make it stay in place. What am I doing wrong?

TISH1124

If you are using the Makeup Haven palettes you have to use the adhesive magnets....Stick the adhevsive side in the slot (sticky side down) and then the pan will adhere to the magnet

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
If you are using the Makeup Haven palettes you have to use the adhesive magnets....Stick the adhevsive side in the slot (sticky side down) and then the pan will adhere to the magnet

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The M·A·C pans which have been depotted are aluminium so are not magnetic at all.

You would need to stick magnetic sheet to the inside of the palette (as Makeup Haven says) and also stick another magnet to the bottom of the pans unless you are buying pro pan refills. You will need to check the polarity before you do this as if it's wrong, shadow pans will just bounce out of the palette as the magnets repel each other.

I suspect it would be a whole load less hassle to buy the M·A·C 15 palettes with a magnetic base in the first place.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The M·A·C pans which have been depotted are aluminium so are not magnetic at all.

You would need to stick magnetic sheet to the inside of the palette (as Makeup Haven says) and also stick another magnet to the bottom of the pans unless you are buying pro pan refills. You will need to check the polarity before you do this as if it's wrong, shadow pans will just bounce out of the palette as the magnets repel each other.

I suspect it would be a whole load less hassle to buy the M·A·C 15 palettes with a magnetic base in the first place.

Yep, for depotted MAC eyeshadows definitely
greengrin.gif

But for pressing pigments and depotted Lancome eyeshadows the palettes are great
smiles.gif
and the Lancome eyeshadow pans definitely stick to magnets, I depotted one just last week
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Quote:

I have 7 of the palettes and mine work perfect...so that is just my method...I have Mac 15-palettes as well..However some people like having more than 15 slots...28 is great! It's personal preference....
Have you tried the palettes?

TISH1124

My friend and both (mrsrjizzle) did our palettes at the same time...we both bought 10 ea and we have had not one problem with them....

Edit...She even had some magnets that did not have adhesive so she put a drop of superglue in the slot...put the magnet in and still no problems.....

But maybe we got special palettes
lol.gif

panda0410

Ahhhh, thanks!!! I will have to try my MAC ones
winks.gif
For some reason I didnt think they would and didnt bother trying, I dont recall them doing it at all...LOL...that will teach me
winks.gif
hehehe

TISH1124

Please do and let us know if it works for you as well. I donlt use the real thin magnets I use the rounds ones that are a tad thicker than the ones on the back of the pro pans...I get them at the Arts and Crafts store

caffn8me

I've just tried a depotted Trax on a magnet and there is some attraction but not enough to hold the pan to the magnet upside down.

However, it's an electromagnet with an alternating magnetic field (which is relevant because it causes Eddy currents) and it's incredibly strong. It's designed for erasing magnetic media (tapes and discs). It even attracts a pure aluminium rod.

I can't get the pan to attract to the magnetic adhesive sheet I use for depotting. I need to get myself a stronger fixed magnet to play around with and report back.

It is possible that M·A·C pans have changed in recent years from aluminium to stainless steel as the cost of aluminium has risen.

Update: I have just found a nice strong fixed magnet and it has no attraction whatsoever to the Trax pan. The attraction shown with the electromagnet is definitely due to Eddy currents. If newer M·A·C pans are attracted to fixed magnets it's because they've changed the material so there's no guarantee that all M·A·C pans will stick to a magnet when depotted.

TISH1124

Quote:
I need to get myself a stronger fixed magnet to play around with and report back.

We don't doubt this for a second. Good Luck ladies....I will leave the thread will mine is still sticking fine...

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
We don't doubt this for a second. Good Luck ladies....I will leave the thread will mine is still sticking fine...

I've updated my post. A strong fixed magnet has no attraction to my Trax pan at all. Not even slightly.

caffn8me

I do know that the price of aluminium went up really high a few years back and if it became much more expensive to continue to use it than stainless steel, M·A·C may have switched. They're both good metals for storing cosmetics so there's no reason not to. A year ago, aluminium was trading at about $1.50 a pound - now it's down to about $0.58

http://www.nickelalloy.com/pubcharts...bg=&cs=1&cid=0

All my recent shadows have been stolen so I can't test on anything recent.

panda0410

Ok, I just checked some of mine
smiles.gif
No attraction on Moth Brown, Mineral or Satin Taupe (depot from Smoking eyes quad 07)... But it DEFINITELY sticks to Smoke & Diamonds ~ no question about it
smiles.gif
I have others to depot, but I dont think I need to
winks.gif

TISH1124

Yeah for those that didn't I would put a magnet in the slot and one on the back of the pan...the thinner cheap ones...I guess it's a good thing magnets are cheap....

So OP if you already have your palette try that for the ones you may have palette depots etc...that don't adhere

Thanks Panda!!!

xKiKix

hey you guys i was thinking about ordering the 28 empty palette since it has much more space than the mac ones... but my question is, what are the measurements for it??

Latest posts