Question about MAC MA wanting to sell stuff

Shawna

A friend of mine works for MAC and has a tonne of makeup that she wants to sell. She is scared to put it on ebay or here on Specktra because of the termination policy from MAC. I was wondering how some of you MA's that work for MAC do it. Do you risk it, do you get friends to sell it or what? She just has way to much stuff from her freelance kit and personal collection that never gets used. Tia
smiles.gif

ieatbugs

I have some items that I have recieved as gratis that I can't use that I have swapped on MUA - the only issue I am aware of is if someone tries to return it to a department store for an exchange or ESPECIALLY a cash refund. I'm not sure what the exact MAC policy is, though, so that might not help.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
A friend of mine works for MAC and has a tonne of makeup that she wants to sell. She is scared to put it on ebay or here on Specktra because of the termination policy from MAC. I was wondering how some of you MA's that work for MAC do it. Do you risk it, do you get friends to sell it or what? She just has way to much stuff from her freelance kit and personal collection that never gets used. Tia
smiles.gif

giz2000

When I worked at a counter, I was told that you are not allowed to sell gratis on Ebay. If you are caught, you get canned...no questions asked. What I did was give away most of the gratis I didn't want for myself or for my kit for Xmas, birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. If she doesn't plan on working for MAC forever, then she can hold on to things she thinks will sell well, and then sell them when she's no longer an employee.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatbugs
I have some items that I have recieved as gratis that I can't use that I have swapped on MUA - the only issue I am aware of is if someone tries to return it to a department store for an exchange or ESPECIALLY a cash refund. I'm not sure what the exact MAC policy is, though, so that might not help.
smiles.gif

Speaking of returning gratis for cash...three of my old countermates got fired last week for doing this...not good.

calbear

Yeah what giz2000 said - immediate termination. Oh and there are some not so nice people out there who would love to get an ma fired 'just because'. I'm on a few sites where I have seen someone attempt to contact a person's counter manager to 'tell' on someone trying to sell their gratis.

I'd go with the wait til she's no longer there and sell it then.

MacVirgin

btu what if you let say give a friend oneof your gratis and this friend sell it... the buyer goes to the counter to return it. That would be crap if they fire you
ssad.gif

*are the gratis stuff marked in a way mac would find out when returned*:confused: If not she can always let a friend sell the items for her

lol! what's she selling??
graucho.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

MisStarrlight

Gratis (should) be all marked...either with a white line through the product or a hole drilled into the plastic. I say should because my Brow Beat stuff wasn't marked, but everthing else I've gotten has been.

I wouldn't risk selling-or even swapping-stuff. MAC is terribly strict & will fire anyone if they do something stupid. MAC is really trying to cut down on the selling of stuff on eBay...I wouldn't be surprised if they had people out there buying stuff (like they do with the pedophiles on tv hehe).

We just found out today that we can't post pictures from the counter on MySpace or whatever because they have the MAC name in it.

MacVirgin

ahh now i understand!
smiles.gif

I have bought some things with a hole drilled in it. I always wondered why those things had it lol
greengrin.gif

VeronikaJ

If this person likes her job, I would say not to risk it. It truly wouldn't be worth it, she should just give it away to friends and family and tell them that they are absolutely not to return it or sell it...EVER. It was free makeup to begin with. And MAC employees are not supposed to even sell make-up that they bought with their discount... this is called diversion and people that are selling their gratis makeup or discounted makeup are what will eventually lead MAC to ending the gratis benefit. JUST DON'T DO IT

ieatbugs

Do you eventually foresee mac stopping the benefit of gratis?

Estee Lauder seems to be alot less strict but then we also recieve alot less gratis and have alot less LE items. I've only ever had like two or three things I couldn't or didn't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaJ
If this person likes her job, I would say not to risk it. It truly wouldn't be worth it, she should just give it away to friends and family and tell them that they are absolutely not to return it or sell it...EVER. It was free makeup to begin with. And MAC employees are not supposed to even sell make-up that they bought with their discount... this is called diversion and people that are selling their gratis makeup or discounted makeup are what will eventually lead MAC to ending the gratis benefit. JUST DON'T DO IT

MacVirgin

i can imagine them doing that if people are making big money on the gratis. Especialy seeing how things are neing sold (far) bejond retail
eeksign.gif

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
We just found out today that we can't post pictures from the counter on MySpace or whatever because they have the MAC name in it.

I was wondering when they were going to drop the hammer on that issue.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatbugs
Do you eventually foresee mac stopping the benefit of gratis?

Estee Lauder seems to be alot less strict but then we also recieve alot less gratis and have alot less LE items. I've only ever had like two or three things I couldn't or didn't use.

I hope not. It's a giant benefit of the job. Besides, we are required to wear the new lines for at least 2 weeks after their launch...getting rid of gratis would make that requirement near impossible (since they really don't like us to do our makeup at counter).

blueyesdancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I was wondering when they were going to drop the hammer on that issue.

This is new to me also....

As far as a MAC artist selling makeup... DONT DO IT....I would never risk it for all the reasons mentioned...and it is true that they routinely check ebay, etc., for artists trying to sell gratis or m/u they bought at discount.

MAC is so generous to their employees, moreso than any other company I have heard of....why take advantage and possibly ruin it for everyone else?

blueyesdancing

I would suggest to your friend, Shawnna, that she could make friends-for-lyfe
winks.gif
if she gave her extra MAC to girls who couldn't afford it, whether they are local girls she knows, or girls from a crisis center, or abused girls, etc.....not only would it brighten their lives, they would forever remember the angel who helped them to be trendy and hip, and she would feel really great about it too!

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyesdancing
I would suggest to your friend, Shawnna, that she could make friends-for-lyfe
winks.gif
if she gave her extra MAC to girls who couldn't afford it, whether they are local girls she knows, or girls from a crisis center, or abused girls, etc.....not only would it brighten their lives, they would forever remember the angel who helped them to be trendy and hip, and she would feel really great about it too!

That is a fabulous idea!

Latest posts