Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

B

Buffy89

Hey everyone! I'm happy to see everybody who's back to continue our low-buy journey! :party: and a happy new year, of course!

veronikawithak

Happy New Year everyone!

Made a lot of progress last year and I want to continue moving in that direction. I've got my cosmetics spending on track now so I'm focusing on other things like clothing and fragrances this year, but I'll still be around. :)

SandraVB79

I should go on a low-buy. really, seriously.
But then I see all the beautiful new products and I'm lost :-(

dodotheextinct

Hello! Joining again this year. I'm focusing more on using my products and feel like I have my beauty buying under control but will definitely pop in throughout the year. :)

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I'm on board again as well! I feel a little bad about not participating in the 2015 thread a lot, there just wasn't much to report. I have been doing good with my low-buy, I did buy a few things here and there, but I didn't fall back into old spending habits which I'm kinda proud of.
I think I will be doing this year's low-buy the same way - just being more thoughtful and selective with my purchases but not tracking them in detail, or setting a certain goal or budget. I don't think that's necessary for me.

My main concern are still the MAC collections, I find myself buying things I don't really need just because they're LE. I have slowed way down with buying MAC in general, but yeah, still buying more than I use.
I'm also trying to avoid placing orders just because there's a sale or nice GWP. And I still have drawers full of stuff that I'm trying to sell, but that is not going so good lately. Hopefully 2016 will be more successful regarding that.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I should go on a low-buy. really, seriously.
But then I see all the beautiful new products and I'm lost :-(

I remember for other participants, unsubscribing from brand and store emails was a help, as well as not reading threads for new collections. And instead of watching hauls and unboxings by Youtubers, maybe watch de-cluttering or Project Pan videos instead? If you can work out a good way for you not to be tempted by All the New Things, that would be a good place to start, I think.

I made my first makeup order of 2016 last night, both repurchases -- my Bare Minerals mascara, plus a new beautyblender (original pink one this time, and the one I chose comes with a full size blendercleanser solid) as my purple one I bought last summer has reached the point where it isn't coming completely clean anymore.

And my first FOTD of the year...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer

* NARS Sheer Glow - Siberia (I've fallen out of love with this. It looked cakey in places, settled into crevasses and some of my lines. Not good.)

* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 (Another thing I've fallen out of love with, I think. I've used this as an undereye concealer for a long time.)

* Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent (See above.)

* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown

* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium Deep

* Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black

* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)

* MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

I'm still kind of ironing out my goals for this year.

jennyap

Happy New Year to all!

Hello! Joining again this year. I'm focusing more on using my products and feel like I have my beauty buying under control but will definitely pop in throughout the year. :)

That's pretty much where I am. By my standards I will be ultra low buying this year I think.

B

Buffy89

I remember for other participants, unsubscribing from brand and store emails was a help, as well as not reading threads for new collections. And instead of watching hauls and unboxings by Youtubers, maybe watch de-cluttering or Project Pan videos instead? If you can work out a good way for you not to be tempted by All the New Things, that would be a good place to start, I think.

I really enjoy decluttering videos, especially those by pinksofoxy although they're some years old already. I think it's important to remember that all those YT videos and IG posts are interesting and pretty, but they don't really reflect reality and "normal" consumerism any more because those channels are run by (semi) professionals who purchase item after item to keep their followers. No shame in my game, I love watching makeup vids and looking at Instagram, but I wish I had realized this before buying too much stuff I don't want now. I also unfollowed some blogs that promote a plain "omg it's so pretty" approach and only read those that dare to criticize things. And Marie Kondo's book was really helpful to me as well.

This being said, it feels a bit weird to write that I just ordered the Sparkling Rose highlighter from the new Mac collection. I cannot have a look at anything myself since I need to stay at home due to bronchitis, but there were several things I was interested in and I've been sick all the time since mid November (either I never really cured or it's the third cold in a row), so I think I've "deserved" one item after being on a no-buy for almost 3 months. I'm aware that I shouldn't fall into a trap and use shopping as a band aid for negative feelings, but I needed a little something to cheer me up...ugh here comes the bad conscience.
On the good side, I decluttered more lip products so I'm down to almost 50% of my collection's original size. Will post a comparison in the next days.

lumaday

Last year I started my MAC collection and purchased a ton of stuff and I just bought the large Zoeva Zoe Makeup Bag brush set so I will finally have a really nice set of brushes instead of the mix-and-match mostly cheaper ones I've been using for years and years. I figured if I finally have higher end makeup I could treat myself to the right tools to apply it with. Anyway, considering how much I've bought in the last year alone I'm definitely going to low buy this year.

What's been hard for me is following threads about new collections, instagram posts (and coveting all the beautiful new things people are getting), and brand emails.

Going forward I am going to try my hardest to use up old products before starting new ones. I am really the worst about this in particular with lipstick and lip gloss so I am going to make a pact with myself that I can't buy any new lip products until I finish an old one. This is gonna be hard, ha! Since I have a ton of eye shadow palettes I am also going to focus on using 1 palette for a whole week so I can start using up older ones (starting with my Urban Decay Naked and Vice palettes), and also focus on using the colors that I don't touch very often. This should also get my creative juices flowing again with creating new looks instead of reverting to the same ones.

I'm glad this thread is here - I am going to look at it before I purchase anything this year!

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I really enjoy decluttering videos, especially those by pinksofoxy although they're some years old already. I think it's important to remember that all those YT videos and IG posts are interesting and pretty, but they don't really reflect reality and "normal" consumerism any more because those channels are run by (semi) professionals who purchase item after item to keep their followers. No shame in my game, I love watching makeup vids and looking at Instagram, but I wish I had realized this before buying too much stuff I don't want now. I also unfollowed some blogs that promote a plain "omg it's so pretty" approach and only read those that dare to criticize things. And Marie Kondo's book was really helpful to me as well.

This being said, it feels a bit weird to write that I just ordered the Sparkling Rose highlighter from the new Mac collection. I cannot have a look at anything myself since I need to stay at home due to bronchitis, but there were several things I was interested in and I've been sick all the time since mid November (either I never really cured or it's the third cold in a row), so I think I've "deserved" one item after being on a no-buy for almost 3 months. I'm aware that I shouldn't fall into a trap and use shopping as a band aid for negative feelings, but I needed a little something to cheer me up...ugh here comes the bad conscience.
On the good side, I decluttered more lip products so I'm down to almost 50% of my collection's original size. Will post a comparison in the next days.

That sounds great, I'd love to see that!
Feel better soon!

Great idea :) good luck everyone I'm new here and thought I'd try this to keep me accountable ;) I've received makeup for Christmas and have more than I can use up plus finance isn't great atm so need to limit buying makeup to necessities :) I would like to try the new Mac matte lipstick but only if it's a colour I'd use regularly... And I might look into getting a makeup lesson at Mac to get new ideas and tips :) gonna try think quality vs quantity and improve my skills... Hope everyone had a great new year :)

Well done on the decluttering! I totally related to your post I started watching videos and blogs to pick up makeup tips but mostly they made me want to run out and buy things they showed! I'm also unfollowing people who post ridiculous hauls and nothing else it doesn't entertain me anymore and I know it's unattainable for the most... Worst is when the haul is all stuff they got for free... Good for them, but they should be more honest about this

B

Buffy89

That sounds great, I'd love to see that!
Feel better soon!

Thank you :) I already feel a little better.
I already started reorganizing my lip drawer and it's weird how much I think I own and how much I really own. I've done this before, but it's always eye-opening.

B

Buffy89

Well done on the decluttering! I totally related to your post I started watching videos and blogs to pick up makeup tips but mostly they made me want to run out and buy things they showed! I'm also unfollowing people who post ridiculous hauls and nothing else it doesn't entertain me anymore and I know it's unattainable for the most... Worst is when the haul is all stuff they got for free... Good for them, but they should be more honest about this

This! And now, for a a good YT video shows how I can improve my skills and how to recreate a certain look. Lisa Eldridge might be a good example. She's always so calm and almost never does product/swatch videos. I never want to go shopping watching her videos, but I wanna grab my brushes and get started, using what I own.

HppyLittleNinja

Happy new year, everyone! I posted a handful of times on the 2015 thread. I'm going to be more active this year.
I'm excited for getting to know all of you better. Cheers!

VAL4M

Happy New year everyone!! Again I need to be here this year because last year was pretty much a bust! :(
the only good thing is my credit card balance is way lower then last year so we can see some improvement, and let's face it with xmas I was kind of expection to not pay up all my credit card this month but expect to be in the black by February.
This year resolution is
1. only 1 perfume in May for mothers day a gift to myself (This year perfume purchases exploded and really derailed me trying to saved)
2. NO lipsticks and lipgloss purchase
3. STOP buying some random skin care .... I just discovered the Tata Harper cleanser and OMG I finally found my holly grail, even is it is expensive this will make me cut cost because I was buying thing that just doesn't work for my skin and thrown away.

That it for now but i'm sure i can add some other resolution in there! LOL

B

Buffy89

So, I'd like to post my lipstick inventory. The numbers in brackets are from my inventory in December 2014. In fall '14, I purged ~30 lip products, so these were part of my original stash as well. This means, on the long run I managed to cut down my lip stash by almost 50% (don't wanna do the precise math stuff, but this sounds quite catchy and morivational).

Lipsticks:
- red: 3 (10)
- coral/peach: 5 (4)
- pink: 20 (28)
- brownish/dark shades: 4 (apparently, I counted these into another group back then?)
- neutrals/mlbb: 26 (26)
- berry/plum: 4 (13)
- purple: 0 (4)
- backups: 2 (2)
= 64 (85...and originally around 120)

Glosses: 21 (39)
Backups 3 (3)

I know it's still a darn lot of lip products, but I'm happy about the outcome of my purges, and I also finished a handful of lipsticks/glosses. I've realized even more that I don't wear brights/darks/reds a lot, and therefore I won't purchase any. In case of a special occasion, I can always purchase them, but there's no need to keep them in my stash "just in case", if I might be invited to a very formal, glamourous event (ha! This will never happen). My goal is finishing my glosses without buying new ones. The ones I've kept are pretty, but I don't love the feeling on my lips in general. I also need to work on the pinks because I don't love them too much although they do spark joy in Miss Kondo's words. Probably I'll wear them more often in spring and summer.

VAL4M

So, I'd like to post my lipstick inventory. The numbers in brackets are from my inventory in December 2014. In fall '14, I purged ~30 lip products, so these were part of my original stash as well. This means, on the long run I managed to cut down my lip stash by almost 50% (don't wanna do the precise math stuff, but this sounds quite catchy and morivational).

Lipsticks:
- red: 3 (10)
- coral/peach: 5 (4)
- pink: 20 (28)
- brownish/dark shades: 4 (apparently, I counted these into another group back then?)
- neutrals/mlbb: 26 (26)
- berry/plum: 4 (13)
- purple: 0 (4)
- backups: 2 (2)
= 64 (85...and originally around 120)

Glosses: 21 (39)
Backups 3 (3)

I know it's still a darn lot of lip products, but I'm happy about the outcome of my purges, and I also finished a handful of lipsticks/glosses. I've realized even more that I don't wear brights/darks/reds a lot, and therefore I won't purchase any. In case of a special occasion, I can always purchase them, but there's no need to keep them in my stash "just in case", if I might be invited to a very formal, glamourous event (ha! This will never happen). My goal is finishing my glosses without buying new ones. The ones I've kept are pretty, but I don't love the feeling on my lips in general. I also need to work on the pinks because I don't love them too much although they do spark joy in Miss Kondo's words. Probably I'll wear them more often in spring and summer.

Oh if only I had time to count my lipsticks *won't happened* that why I know I need to stop buying them but I found out an old post from 2013

wasn't doing much so i decide to count my lipsticks. I didn't count lipgloss.

total 76

Guerlain:23
MAC:9
Chanel:7
LAncome:6
Shiseido:6
Dior:4
as the rest misc, Burberry, LMdB,Cle de peau, Annabelle, Anna sui, Edward Bess, Mary Kay, Jouer

So yah 2.5 years later I'm sure I have more lipsticks even if I finished a couple lately. I'm still not ready to purge thought I mean if they are still good I want to keep them all! LOL
I will go back to work in a month and my goal is to wear the red lipstick I want to pan for at least a month and then I will see if I will purge or keep.

B

Buffy89

Oh if only I had time to count my lipsticks *won't happened* that why I know I need to stop buying them but I found out an old post from 2013

wasn't doing much so i decide to count my lipsticks. I didn't count lipgloss.

total 76

Guerlain:23
MAC:9
Chanel:7
LAncome:6
Shiseido:6
Dior:4
as the rest misc, Burberry, LMdB,Cle de peau, Annabelle, Anna sui, Edward Bess, Mary Kay, Jouer

So yah 2.5 years later I'm sure I have more lipsticks even if I finished a couple lately. I'm still not ready to purge thought I mean if they are still good I want to keep them all! LOL
I will go back to work in a month and my goal is to wear the red lipstick I want to pan for at least a month and then I will see if I will purge or keep.

The ones I purged were either drugstore ones that distracted me from using my expensive products or were shades I purchased while stress hauling. They often came in "weird" colors that don't really suit me, e.g. lots of darks which l actually don't dare to wear, or all those matte reds which made me look too dolled up. Honestly, all those lipsticks were beautiful in swatches and fun to try on when I was at the counter, but they're simply not for me.
But now, I really love my current 60 lipsticks and I also don't see a need to get rid of them. They're already there in my stash, and I truly enjoy the shades, so I'm thinking just like you now. I won't get rid of those until they are too old or smell funny.

Latest posts