Resolution LOW-BUY 2017

Alysse011

(A bit of a brain dump about a thing.)

So you probably know I swore off pre-made eyeshadow palettes a while back. I was just in the Bobbi Brown thread and saw Elegant's swatches of the Downtown Cool palette. It seems to be right up my alley at the moment, as I've been going through a mostly matte phase lately, and it's neutral that leans more cool.

I've gone through my eyeshadow stash to try to dupe the palette. The top left shade is pretty close to MAC Typographic. The closest thing I have to the bottom right is MAC Mystery (maybe some differences in undertone?). The bottom left is kind of similar to either MAC Copperplate or Makeup Geek Friend Zone (moreso the latter, perhaps? I vascillate between the two. I also pulled out MUG Faux Fur). I don't have anything like the top right. The downside is I did this swatching at night with not a lot of light, soooo... I think I'll try again during daylight.
I've been swatching my shadows too to try to talk myself out of the new Charlotte Tilbury palette. Let us know if you are able to dupe that last shade!

fur4elise

(A bit of a brain dump about a thing.)
So you probably know I swore off pre-made eyeshadow palettes a while back. I was just in the Bobbi Brown thread and saw Elegant's swatches of the Downtown Cool palette. It seems to be right up my alley at the moment, as I've been going through a mostly matte phase lately, and it's neutral that leans more cool.
I've gone through my eyeshadow stash to try to dupe the palette. The top left shade is pretty close to MAC Typographic. The closest thing I have to the bottom right is MAC Mystery (maybe some differences in undertone?). The bottom left is kind of similar to either MAC Copperplate or Makeup Geek Friend Zone (moreso the latter, perhaps? I vascillate between the two. I also pulled out MUG Faux Fur). I don't have anything like the top right. The downside is I did this swatching at night with not a lot of light, soooo... I think I'll try again during daylight.

Aaaaaah yes! The struggle with pre-made palettes! You know my struggle with these!

However, I have learned my lesson! I removed several palettes from my collection for non-use. And the last pre-made I purchased is kind of a disappointment (KVD Shimmer), in that I am only using 4 of the 12 shades.
:doh:

I have looked at a few new releases and swatched a few, just to appease my "Oooooh! Shiny! New!" feelings. But I have come to realize, from here on out, I will do 100% better to limit e/s purchases to single pans, to fill in any gaps for my current go to looks.

You are the one person in Low Buy that has done great in regards to pre-mades. I say if the BB palette (only 4 shades) is unique enough, fills a gap you have and you know you will reach for it, then go for it. Swatch again and see how you feel. ;)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yesterday's FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* ABH Stick Foundation - Porcelain
* Bobbi Brown Corrector - Extra Light Bisque
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Inglot AMC Brow Liner Gel - 18
* MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eyeshadow Base
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Baby Face
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Faux Fur
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Concrete Jungle
* MAC Eyehshadow - Malt
* Sephora LashCraft Length and Volume Mascara
* Makeup Geek Blush - Main Squeeze
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

veronikawithak

I think the last time I checked in was June!

July, August, September - $0.00

That feels great!!! I used to do 100 day no buys and it would be difficult to get through them, now the time kind of flew by! I’ve also paid off $20,000 in principal on my student loans just this year. Loving the effect these new habits are having on my life.

Total in 2017: $850.34 (average $94.48/month) - I set a goal of $1,000 for spending at the beginning of the year (for clothing, makeup, skincare, perfume).. I wasn’t sure I would make it but now it’s looking like I will! Excited about that. Also going strong on my 2017 clothing no buy - still $0 spent there. The end of the year feels so close, it should be easier to stay motivated and not mess up 9 months of progress!

Total in 2016: $1247.07 (average $103.92/month)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Nothing purchased in September for me. Still haven't done my swatches to see if I can dupe the BB Downtown Girl palette completely. (I have it tentatively wishlisted.)

FOTD...
* mix of wet'n'wild Photofocus Foundation - Porcelain + MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Concrete Jungle (brows; worked out quite well for me)
* surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Moondust
* Clinique High Impact Mascara
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02
* NYX Slim Lipliner Pencil - Dark Red
* NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Cruella

VAL4M

Big wake up call today i'm like watching all those swatches video of the ABH Prism palette and debating if I will purchase it and went to refresh my makeup and boom I open the MUFE floral palette. hum let me check bright yellow, dark green, dark purple, light violet, dusty pink-taupe .... ok ABH have 14 shades versus 9 for MUFE but i'm sure I have some single to fill the blank .
ABH-PRISM-.jpg
IMG_1680.JPG

LadyBug13

Hey everyone!

I can’t remember the last time I checked in (Maybe June?). Here are my updates:

July: No purchases, nothing used up, nothing tossed out

August: No purchases, used up the Fresh Black Tea Firming Overnight Mask (deluxe sample) and the Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask, nothing tossed out

September: Bought the Nivea Care & Coconut Moisturizing Body Wash and some polish remover, used up the Dove Dry Oil Moisture Body Wash and the Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash, and tossed out the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo, Shea Moisture Manuka Honey hair masque, Shea Moisture Jamaica Black Castor Oil leave-in conditioner, Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Qhemet Biologics Alma & Olive Heavy Cream, and the Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade

fur4elise

September Check-In!

Another budget friendly month.
Purchases: 6 total

2 purchases were made with PayPal (eBay) funds and almost all were made with a discount or coupon.

New tip! Load your cart at a brand’s site and wait for a coupon! ;)

Example: I visited Kate Sommerville for my staple ExoliKate cleanser and put it in a cart…they had a 20% sale and I did not pull the trigger. The very next day they sent me a 30% coupon! Needless to say, I pulled the trigger.

eBay purchase of DK Cashmere Aura rollerball. Love it!

Birthday splurge from Saks:
Tom Ford E/S Duos in Paradiso and Golden Peach
, a Gucci lipstick (Rush, red) and YSL Le Rouge in Le Rouge in the holiday packaging. 25% discount with coupon.

Fenty Beauty, my other b-day splurge: Highlighting duo in Moscow Mule/Ginger Binge & Lip Gloss.
I promptly gave the gloss to one of my student workers…I truly cannot stand lip gloss…who knew?!?
There be something wrong with me! Cuckoo, cuckoo!
:crazy: I love the duo and use it on my eyes more than my face!

The last thing was to replenish my Biologique Recherche P50 1970. I love the stuff…Is it in my head that it’s making a difference? No. I believe it is improving the quality of my skin. Going to stick with it! 10% off coupon.

Used Up/Disposed Of/Will Dispose Of:
Used Up:
The Ordinary Matrixyl – Will not replenish. Switched to The Buffet.
EL Double Wear foundation. I opened a new bottle.
L’Oreal Elnette Hairspray

Disposed Of:
Mascara Minis
Benefit They’re Real Mascara
MUFE Excessive
Lancome Cils Booter XL
Lancome Hypnose Noir
Bobbi Brown Smoky Eye
Tarte Tartiest
Smashbox XRated
Benefit Rollerball
Sephora Lashcraft
MAC Upward Lash

Out of all of these, I already have replacement minis for the Benefit Rollerball & They’re Real. Those are the mascaras I liked best. I will have another small assortment on the chopping block for next month.

Gave Away:
Deciem The Ordinary Azaleic Acid, High Spread Fluid Primer
Deciem Hylamide HA, HA Blur Primer, Matte 12 Primer

Will Dispose Of / Give Away
UD x GS Cheek Palette
NARS Cheek Studio
Marc Jacobs Holiday 16 Iconic E/S Palette

I do not reach for any of these palettes and I have a student in mind to give them too. It would make me happy to make her happy! ;)

On The Horizon:
Holiday Stuffs:
I am saving for and waiting on swatches. My plan is to hold out as long as I can for brand sales and/or the Sephora fall sale:

NARS May Ray Veil Cheek Palette
Bobbi Brown Highlighting Powder Trio
Stila Eye For Elegance Liquid Eye Shadow Set
NARS Noire Et Blanche Mini Audacious Lipstick Coffret
Guerlain Holiday Rouge G in Flaming Red
I am also considering a couple of the new Tom Ford Boys & Girls lippies.

I did order a MUFE empty palette last week (the F&F sale is happening until the 12th). This is to address my custom palettes and further edit my loose e/s & blush pans to what I am reaching for and dispose of unused and old pans.

Things Versus Experiences

Having been mindful and super selective about my beauty purchases these past few month, I have was able to save a bit of money. Enough that I could book and pay for our Thanksgiving escape in Vegas next month
:tee:
That being said my holiday beauty lust list is kind of loaded…so it may very well pass that I only splurge on a couple things and continue to save so we can enjoy our mini vacation.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
x0x0x0x

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
BB Downtown palette update: I had a second look through my eyeshadow stash, and I'm pretty much convinced I can dupe only the one shade. I'm going to wait until the end of the month/early November before getting it.

FOTD...
* ABH Stick Foundation - Porcelain
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eyeshadow Base (note to self: set this with powder before applying anything, even creams, over the top)
* MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate
* Prestige True Khol Kajal - Matte Black (smudged into upper lashline)
* Sephora Waterproof Contour Eye Pencil - 5th Avenue (lower lashline)
* Sephora Lashcraft Length and Volume Mascara
* MAC Strobe Cream (top of cheekbones, inner corner highlight)
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* NARS Velvet Lip Glide - Unlaced

lenchen

September Check-In!

I didn't spend as much as I thought I would

Birthday splurge:

eBay purchase : Chanel perfume mademoiselle love the scent and the bottle! used eBay bucks towards my purchase

Cover FX, highlighter in candlelight, and pressed setting powder

Fenty Beauty, Foundation, surprisingly I loved the foundation! I got both shade 390-winter shade and 400. I didn't really like anything else from the line, the highlighters were too glittery for me, the contour/colour/highlight sticks were just ok.

Colored Raine- eyeshadow palette bday gift from my sister I had no idea was really sweet of her!

Smashbox Primers minis: oil free and pore minimizing

Used Up:
SU:UM37 Rose cleansing stick,
ordered 2 additional sticks it seems as though I go through these quickly!
SU:UM37 Emulsion
-opened up the back-up I had

Gave Away:

Viseart-minx palette-I gave it to my cousin, while I'm in love with Viseart mattes in general, I found that I wasn't a fan of the shimmer side of the minx palette switched great on my arm, not so much on my eyes. I found myself only using the mattes which is a huge waste! that small palette was not cheap, so I re-homed it.

On The Horizon:

Viseart Dark Mattes Palette-I'm holding out for the a sale at MUSE beauty PRO around Black Friday.
Kat Von D liquid liner- I'll probably pick this up when I get ready to purchase the dark mattes palette
Red Apple lipstick mascara- re-purchase
Red Apple lipstick lip balm- re-purchase
21.5 vitamin C serum-repurchase

Nothing is tempting me for the holiday sales.
Great job everyone!

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* ABH Stick Foundation - Porcelain (used under the eyes over the corrector)
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless (also used on eyes after e/s primer)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - Unexpected (crease + slightly above), Twilight (lid), Sand Dollar (close to brow for additional blending), Concrete Jungle (outer third + halfway across lower lashline)
* Clinique High Impact Mascara
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety (dabbed in the centre of lips)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Sunday's face...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose and porous areas, plus under the eyes)
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (across forehead)
* wet'n'wild Photofocus Foundation - Porcelain
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Unexpected
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Concrete Jungle
* Sephora LashCraft Length and Volume Mascara
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* MAC Strobe Cream
* MAC Mattene - Personal Pick

LadyBug13

OCTOBER CHECK-IN

October is my birthday month, so I did a bit of splurging:

Purchased
Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant Deodorant
Sunday Riley CEO Protect & Repair Moisturizer
Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask to Quench Skin's Thirst (1.7 oz)
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser (1.7 oz)
Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask (1.0 oz)
MAC Fix +
MAC Bronzing Powder- Refined Golden
MAC Lipstick- Naturally Transformed
MAC Strobe Cream- Goldlite
MAC Lipglass- C Thru
MAC Face and Body Foundation- C7
MAC Next to Nothing Face Colour- Dark
Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray (1 oz)

Received
MAC Brow Pencil- Spike (my sister passed it on to me)
Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet & Vinoperfect Radiance Serum (Sephora birthday gift)
CLEAN Reserve Perfume (sample)
TOCCA Cleopatra Perfume (sample)
MAC Shadescents- Velvet Teddy and Creme d'Nude (samples)

Used Up
TOCCA Cleopatra Perfume (sample)
Origins GinZing Energy Boosting Moisturizer
Dove Invisible Solid Antiperspirant

Decluttered/Passed On
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick- Bow n Arrow (I originally wanted to toss this a few months ago and changed my mind, but since I added a new lipstick to my collection and hardly wear Bow n Arrow, I let it go)
MAC Lipstick in Persistence (gave to my sister)
MAC Next to Nothing Face Colour in Medium Deep (sold it and bought the shade Dark. Medium Deep wasn't a good shade match after all)
MAC Face and Body foundation in C6 (sold it and bought the shade C7)

For November
I have my VIB list ready. I plan to get the UD Naked Heat palette, Foreo Luna Mini, Fresh Creme Anciennne moisturizer, and the Ole Henriksen Truth Revealed Brightening SPF 15 moisturizer.

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
I'll be ending October not buying anything new, makeup-wise. (Will be buying BB Downtown sometime in November.)

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - mix of Mattifying and Hydrating primers
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless (to see e/s primer)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster (lid)
* MAC Blush - Taupe (as crease eyeshadow)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Mystery (outer corner)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - mix of Sand Dollar and Baby Face (close to brow)
* mix of Makeup Geek Blush - Main Squeeze + NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Black Berry (applied somewhat lightly all over lip, then rubbed off to a charcoal colour)

That lip combo gave me a sort of browny-greigey colour.

veronikawithak

October Check-In

$0.00

Student loan principal paid in 2017: $24,300. Woo hoo!

Total in 2017: $850.34 (average $85.03/month) - I set a goal of $1,000 for spending at the beginning of the year (for clothing, makeup, skincare, perfume).. I wasn’t sure I would make it but now it’s looking like I will! Excited about that. Also going strong on my 2017 clothing no buy - still $0 spent there.

Total in 2016: $1,247.07 (average $103.92/month)

Only two months left in the year - let's make it happen! Now is the best time to start on your 2018 goals!

DMcG9

I am impressed at how much you knocked off your student loan so far this year. I need discipline like yours starting immediately.

veronikawithak

I am impressed at how much you knocked off your student loan so far this year. I need discipline like yours starting immediately.

It took me a LONG time to get here. I've been in the Resolution LOW-BUY threads since they started in 2014 (almost 4 years now!!!). This is the first year I actually feel in control of my spending. It's still tough, but I'm making much better progress.

For comparison, in 2016 I only paid off $10,000 the entire year / with interest $15,000 - about 30% of my spending. This year I've paid off $24,000 with 2 months to go / with interest $28,000 - about 55% of my spending. I got a raise and a tax refund which helped bump up my numbers, but I've also spent several thousand less.

My new goal is to be able to quit my 9-5 job about 20 years earlier. My mindset around money, spending, and work has completely changed.

I don't want more stuff.. the ultimate luxury purchase I can make is my freedom.

fur4elise

Low Buy Check-In ~ October
I did a little damage in October, but it reduced my cart for the Sephora sale today!

Purchases:
(3) KVD Studded Kiss Lipsticks
: Adora, Thin Lizzy & Gothika.– On clearance and new to me.

(3) Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks: Liar, Backseat & NighthawkThese are my favorite FOTD/SFW lipsticks! – UD B2G1 Free sale

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Color Kit – First drugstore purchase in many, many months!

Ulta purchase, using the 20% off coupon: The NARS x Man Ray Cheek Veil Palette, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter Gradient Glow.

Sephora F&F 20% off – stila Eye For Elegance Liquid Eye Shadow Set, Fenty Beauty Supermoon Lipstick and Space Suit Lip Gloss (I actually like this gloss :crazy: ).

MUFE 25% sale – Smoothing Primer, Aqua XL Color Paint & Mini Peach Ultra HD Pressed Powder.

Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick LE No.4 ~ :heart: The red case is divine.

Random Stuffs:
I found my lust/must list completely flipped and was reduced after I was able to swatch products as well as review what I already have.
So no MAC Holiday (eta: I did get one lippie :hide:), no Holiday Guerlain, no Bobbi Brown highlighting trio, no Tom Ford lippies, no NARS Man Ray Lip Coffret. Money saved!

Used Up:
Miss Jessie’s Jelly Soft Curls – I liked this but chose a different curl cream by the brand and prefer it.
The Ordinary Buffet, Niacinamide – Already backed up.
Mini Smashbox Pore Minimizer Primer
Kate Sommerville ExfoliKate Cleanse
r – Already backed up.

Disposed Of:
UD 24/7 Eye Pencil – Stash
Mini Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Mascara & Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
–I like both of these and already had to mini backups.

Will Dispose Of:
I have a few more Physicians Formula products I can give away.

There is still ongoing editing of my clothing and shoe wardrobe.
I was able to give another student worker some really nice dresses and sweaters. :)

On The Horizon: Nothing!
I just placed another order at Sephora using the 20% VIBR coupon. And I am officially done! No trips to the B&M store either!

In fact, I got my dream luxury lipstick :cloud9: and with that I took out just about everything else in my cart. It was a fair trade off as it kept me in my budget. At this point, I need to shop my stash and use what I have. I do not need to add more, as I feel like I have filled any gaps I had. :thumbsup:

No more red lipstick! :naughty: (excluding the one I purchased today ;) )

I am in good shape with all of my skin care products and have single back-ups of what I am using.

Our trip to Las Vegas is in 3 weeks. I do plan to pop into a Sephora, as I have never been in a large full size store. I will proceed with caution ;)

It is the month of thanks! And I am very very thankful and grateful for my life and the people I have in it. I hope you all have a Happy November! :flowers:

Last edited:

lenchen

Low Buy Check-In - October
I purchased very little in October!

Purchases
Urban Decay Vice lipsticks in-Rocksteady, Ms. Mia Wallace, F-Bomb, and Liar.

Kat Von-D- Tattoo liner

Used Up:
SU:UM37 Rose cleansing stick-will re-purchase, need back-ups
90 Tea Tree essence-will re-purchase, need a back up

Disposed Of:
6 Make-up geek matte eyeshadows-I give those away to my cousin, she loves makeup geek matte shadows and I didn’t see a reason to keep them once I purchased the Viseart neutrals palette.

Back-up brushes- getting rid of my MAC 162, and 180 to help fund the remaining eye brushes on my list.

On The Horizon:

Viseart dark mattes palette- waiting for the black Friday sale at muse beauty pro.
Cover Fx-pressed setting powder-waiting for the Sephora 20% sale
Victor and Rolf flowerbomb oil-Sephora 20% sale
Hakuhodo eye brushes-using a gift card I got for my birthday back in September.
Back-up skin care-items I’m running low on that I know I will re-purchase.

After I purchase these items, I’m set I don’t need anything else in the way of makeup I’m content!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* Anastasia Stick Foundation - Porcelain