Returning used/opened makeup

yoonjungifer

I really hate going back to the store and returning makeup I've opened (but I've only done this with foundation if the color didn't match my skin tone) but if it's unopened then I don't really care. But my question is, does anyone know what happens to the stuff people return that's already been used/opened?
hmm.gif

Just a random thought that crossed my mind.

yummy411

i don't have a problem returning used makeup... it's their business and most places have wonderful return policies. now i won't return something if i've used half the bottle.. only if i've used it once or twice... hmmm i don't know about what they actually do with it once it's returned. i used to joke with my friends about mac having a clearance sell on used items... but then, there are cco's LLOL! i've only been to one once.. i have no idea. i'll be interested in finding out the answer too!

lara

Anything that gets returned - opened or not, even if you never took it out the box or haven't taken it out of the store yet - gets thrown away.

yoonjungifer

What a waste! But then again, how would they know that you really didn't open the package, right? I'm sure it's all for hygiene purposes. Really sucks though, considering some people might've returned limited edition stuff which just goes to waste. Boo. Oh well, thanks for the info!

CaraAmericana

Don't mind me if you see my feet sticking out the store dumpster out back of a MAC store. I um....am just looking for my contact, it um fell out yeah that's it.

KeshieShimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
Don't mind me if you see my feet sticking out the store dumpster out back of a MAC store. I um....am just looking for my contact, it um fell out yeah that's it.

They must have a 'special' trash, because especially for items that have only been used once, I could see people sorting through the trash. Just spray some alcohol, haha
graucho.gif

me_jelly

I hate returning/exchanging items too because I feel bad everytime I think about where the returned item is going to go.

And the answer is:
The "bin" and then the makeup graveyard =(

Aussiechick28

I feel bad about returning the makeup also because it just gets thrown away. Now the only thing i return is lipstick, because i read horror stories about people getting cold sores from the testers.

Now i'm too scared to use the testers, even when they clean them with alcohol, so i just buy the colour and hope it works... and if not, return it.

BunnyBunnyBunny

I feel bad but I'd rather have it thrown away and get the money back than stare at and hate it for a few years until I throw it away myself.

janelovesyou

I kept some eyeshadows in colors I hated because I didn't even know MAC accepted returns.

I'd feel kind of awkward returning makeup that I tested though, so now I only buy after going to the store and testing it.

BunnyBunnyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelovesyou
I'd feel kind of awkward returning makeup that I tested though, so now I only buy after going to the store and testing it.

Me too, I feel hella awkward, so I only return if I despise the item with the whole of my being. I feel so bad because MAC = love. D:

janelovesyou

Yeah, and then once I heard that even if you bring the Product back unused they still have to throw it away, I won't purchase anything unless I know that I want it.

gabi1129

i dont like returning items, i dont know why. if i dont like it or i have something similar already, ill just give it to my sister/best friend/fellow queen. lol.

i dont think returning is bad but what i hate is the girls/women that go to MAC get their makeup done, buy $40-$60 worth of product and return it the next day. that is a big waste and that gets me angry!

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiechick28
I feel bad about returning the makeup also because it just gets thrown away. Now the only thing i return is lipstick, because i read horror stories about people getting cold sores from the testers.

Now i'm too scared to use the testers, even when they clean them with alcohol, so i just buy the colour and hope it works... and if not, return it.

That's how it is with me. The lip products, I don't want to try the testers on my lips so I just buy and hope it works too.

But really, what is the actual practice? Like what happens exactly when a product gets returned. So do they have a special trashbin somewhere where they just chug the returns in? Then it just gets to the dumpster? Do they take it all and send it back to corporate or something?

kchan99

Sometimes, I wonder why there are no seals, like safety seals, on the products. I tend to think that safety seals would help the company save money by distinguishing unused and used returned items.

BunnyBunnyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabi1129
i dont like returning items, i dont know why. if i dont like it or i have something similar already, ill just give it to my sister/best friend/fellow queen. lol.

i dont think returning is bad but what i hate is the girls/women that go to MAC get their makeup done, buy $40-$60 worth of product and return it the next day. that is a big waste and that gets me angry!

At my MAC counter, almost all the same girls work each day and try to keep track of the people that get their makeup done. We write on the reciept of makeovers so that we know it's a makeover, and makeover product is not returnable, only exchangeable. =)

At my counter, we don't throw away products that we know have not been used, such as foundations/concealors in pots. You can tell if creme foundations/bases are used if they have any marks in them. You can tell if powders have been used because all powders, when unused, have the flat texture with the little squares or whatever (when they pressed it with some tool). Brushes you can tell because of the odor/just how they look). Lipsticks, you can tell if it's been used. Anything in a bottle like foundations, lipglasses, and eyeliners and stuff like that have to be thrown away regardless.

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Anything that gets returned - opened or not, even if you never took it out the box or haven't taken it out of the store yet - gets thrown away.

Recently, the policy has changed though, and again this varies by region. Now, any returned product that still looks "fresh" is used as a tester. The rest goes in the recycling bin.
Thank God!!! A returned product always got a shriek from me. I hated throwing all this unused makeup away.

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana

rofl.gif
lmao.gif

Michelle3

when things are reterned they dont just throw it in the tras, they have to distroy it. like cracking shadows pouring out foundation, thats what keeps people form digging it out of the trash.

Latest posts