Saving money and Loving MAC - Is it possible?

xbeatofangelx

After being amazed by some of the collections you guys have posted on here... and at the astounding prices of those collections, (I'm a newbie collector), I was wondering if its still easy to save money or not? Are you able to save a lot of money and still "quench your makeup desire" or would you say that you're generally left scrambling to pay the bills on the 1st of the month?

Curious, don't know if this is in the right section.

I feel like if I indulge in my makeup desires that I won't be able to save enough money... cuz this stuff is damn expensive!

Raerae

Well... My last haul was $441.66 and once my rent check clears, i'll have $3600.00 saved. This is the most i've ever saved lol. I'm making an active effort to curb my spending.

It's about priorities. And also having a job that lets you not have to live paycheck to paycheck.

xoxo

inlucesco

I just buy what a) looks good on me, and b) that isn't similar to something I already own. I limit my purchases to maybe one or two things a month (although I do plan on getting a little more than that from Barbie), and I neither feel denied nor overindulged.
winks.gif

Plus, CCO's are great for saving $$.

kaliraksha

I think it is all about priorities too. My collection is not nearly as large as some of the ladies on here, but I love it... I have just the right amount of stuff. I'm in college and don't make enough to go nuts... however think that maybe some of those ladies got their items from employee discounts or mac discount cards or swaps.

I think it is very possible to spoil yourself and pay your bills. Just know your limitations and take it slow. You don't need to buy 500 dollar hauls (I wish I could, RaeRae... ohh someday!) I like to spread out my spending. I save 300/month for just spending on stuff for me- this can include anything including going out. Some months I don't go out and buy lots of makeup /clothes/ products. Other months I go out all the time... and sometimes I save it and use the money towards a special event.

Beauty Mark

Buy what makes you happy. It isn't a competition, and as much as I marvel at the collections, I don't need that much makeup. If you want to save money (not knowing what your finances are), limit yourself to 2-4 items/month. You won't have the largest collection, but at the end of year, 24 items is nothing snooze at.

Suggest that people buy you MAC for your birthday/holidays.

kaliraksha

Agreed, ask for MAC gift cards =)

Look at the swap list... and yes, that is a good point.. I don't understand how some of you ladies have such large collections... I would totally ignore like 3/4 of it and it would make me sad.

MAC_Whore

Both are possible. Just remember the golden rule: Always pay yourself first. You should always put money in savings first, then you can play with the remaining portion however you want. Whether it be MAC or clothes or whatever. The best part of paying yourself first is there is no guilt when you spend your fun money!
smiles.gif

Indigowaters

Ha! Ok, sorry for laughing. Really, I pay my bills first and indulge myself (a little too much) afterwards. I got a MAC card for Christmas and still spent $43 over. But I began collecting in July or August so it was just the basic eyeshadow colors. If you don't try and get every collection that comes out just because it's limited edition, you should be fine. Plus you'll save money by going to a freestanding store and buying pans instead of the full eyeshadow pots (plus you can switch them back and forth between a 4-pan palette and 15-pan palette for travel). The pans are now $10.50 compared to $13.50 or $14 for the eyeshadow pots (can't remember if it went up). Hope that's not too much to take in.
smiles.gif

Raerae

yeh the pans are a good way to save a little here and there... it's like but 3, get 1 free hehe.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
Ha! Ok, sorry for laughing. Really, I pay my bills first and indulge myself (a little too much) afterwards....

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. I didn't mention paying the bills first, as I assumed that was a given. That is what a responsible person does. I was talking about the remainder that could be either put in savings or used as disposable income. By paying yourself, I meant you are putting money in your savings account. Not really meant to be funny.

GalleyGirl

Dude, just remember, don't get caught up in the LE craze. There will always be another color just like it, no matter what anyone says. It will just have a different name and different packaging, but same color.

medusalox

Ahhhh, this is the question that has been plaguing me all week. I have a rather large collection (70 some eyeshadows, 40 some full size pigments, etc)...and at the moment, I can't quite make all of my bills this month. Oh, and my car just died, and I need to find a new one.
ssad.gif

It's less an issue of MAC being a priority over bills, but now I suddenly have this guilty feeling everytime I do my makeup.."If I sold every last piece, I could completely pay off my debt..." I know things will be a little easier when I'm getting more hours at work (I write parking tickets, and winter is slow)...but man, did I have to end up so poor when Barbie comes out?!
smiles.gif

I ended up selling off some of my less used items. I don't *need* 4 foundations, do I?! Hehe...it's helping. It's also really upsetting to sell something that I don't want to, but I suppose that's what you get when you spend every last cent on makeup and then can't quite pay that cell phone. Eh. I'm rambling, I just thought I'd share that even being a responsible girl, it's easy to fall into some financial trouble when MAC is involved.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. I didn't mention paying the bills first, as I assumed that was a given. That is what a responsible person does. I was talking about the remainder that could be either put in savings or used as disposable income. By paying yourself, I meant you are putting money in your savings account. Not really meant to be funny.

No. I know what you mean. I put money in my deferred comp and savings first. I was responding to the person who posted the thread when she asked if people scramble at the end of the month to pay their bills after buying MAC.
hmm.gif

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
No. I know what you mean. I put money in my deferred comp and savings first. I was responding to the person who posted the thread when she asked if people scramble at the end of the month to pay their bills after buying MAC.
hmm.gif

I would definitely be referring these people to debtor's anonymous.

linziP123

i'm on a gap year saving for uni, but i really really want to buy some pigments! dunno if i should though....

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusalox
(I write parking tickets, and winter is slow)...but man, did I have to end up so poor when Barbie comes out?!
smiles.gif

Good thing you don't live in Austin or you would be the bane of my existence!! Hehe =)

giz2000

Only buy what you'll use and looks good on you....don't fall for the LE hype...MAC's colors usually come back out in one way or another sooner or later!