Setting your Foundation

malaviKat

For those of you not wearing a powder foundation (e.g. Studio Fix Powder) - what do you use to set your foundation? Blot powder? Select sheer? Studio Fix powder? Baby powder? :p
Is it pressed or loose?
Is any one thing better at preventing ashiness?

(Please state your usual foundation formula as well.)

My apologies if this is a duplicate board - still kinda new here.

bustaboo

I use Studio Tech in NC37 and I brush on some Mineralize loose powder foundation in Medium with a powder brush just on my nose, t-zone and chin (I get oily skin) and that seems to work for me.

I used to use the pressed blot powder but after a while it started to dry out some areas of my face. I have yet to try select sheer, it's coming in my latest order.

Hope this helped
smiles.gif

RaynelleM

I use Mineralize Satinfinish and I set it with a bit of Studio Fix powder on the t-zone (only bc I'm trying to finish it up) and then I buff Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Deep over the whole face.
I only use the pressed Blot Powder for touch ups.

Kaycee37

It depends on your skin type. If your oily, your always searching for an oil absorbant powder.
drools.gif

I'm super oily & NC-45.
I use Studio Fix Fluid foundation. Loose blot powder in med-dark during my application. I touch up with blot powder dark pressed all day.

Sometimes I use Makeup forever loose matte powder too. I can't seem to decide which one works the best.
I hope this helps!
yes.gif

malaviKat

Thanks everyone.
smiles.gif

I'm still trying to figure out what I like best. I currently wear MAC's Full Coverage foundation in NC45. (I could probably step down to Studio Tech but I find that Full Coverage eliminates the need for concealer and/or can double as concealer if used sparingly.)

For the time being I'm setting with Studio Fix powder (NC43) but now that it's summer all that layering can be a bit of a mess. :p
Sometimes I find the pressed blot powder works nicely. But it's good to see that some of you like the loose stuff to set as well.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee37
It depends on your skin type. If your oily, your always searching for an oil absorbant powder.
drools.gif

I'm super oily & NC-45.
I use Studio Fix Fluid foundation. Loose blot powder in med-dark during my application. I touch up with blot powder dark pressed all day.

Sometimes I use Makeup forever loose matte powder too. I can't seem to decide which one works the best.
I hope this helps!
yes.gif

Have you tried Oil Control lotion under your foundation? I just picked it up (but haven't tried it yet). We may have the same problem. :p I find using a gel based moisturizer helps a lot.

TDoll

When I wear Studio Fix Fluid, I set it with Blot Powder. I do this when I wear Studio Fix powder as well because it keeps me from getting oily. It's a pretty sheer formula imo. I'm NC25-Studio Fix fluid, NW30-Studio Fix powder, and I wear the medium shade. I've used the loose and pressed formulas of blot and to me, they do the same job, but pressed is easier to take around with you...obviously....and not messy!

Film_Noir

I use Studio Fix Fluid as my foundation and set with Loose Blot Powder. The past couple of days I have been setting with Mineralize Powder in the compact.

nunu

i use studio tech foundation and buff in pressed blot powder using a kabuki brush.
I prefer the pressed form of blot powder because i can carry it with me anywhere.

pratbc

I am an NC35 in the Mineralize Satinfinish. I always make sure to moisturize well and use prep + prime before I apply. Then I will take my 187 and lightly apply some Natural MSF in Medium plus. I take care to really buff it in and spritz with Fix+ and have yet to have a problem with my foundation setting! (unless, of course, I am out all night and too lazy to take it all off before I pass out, in which case my foundation "sets" all over my pillow). hehe

HTH <3

Twinkle_Twinkle

I use a variety of things. Most often it's Px magic powder. Sometimes it's bronzer (Bobbi Brown or Prescriptives Custom Blend). In the winter it's the Sheer Mystery Powder from Stylistics. Rarely I use MSFN. I usually use my blot powder on an as needed basis. And sometimes I set with good old powder (Px, which is not as heavy as Studio Fix which is actually a foundation in powder form).

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee37

Which shade do you use in the Make Up For Ever product?

dazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
baby powder. totally! :p

seriously could u give me some details on how to how baby powder as foundation setter.

do i use a puff or my hands or even a brush?

MissAlphaKitty

I use invisible setting powder (pro)
with the coastal scents Silver Duo Fiber Stippling Brush
Coastal Scents: Silver Duo Fiber Stippling Brush
it's big and fluffy an cheap... though only good to use with dry products b/c it bleeds
and maybe the tiniest swipe of Pressed blot powder on my forehead (Med Dark)
but i like the dewey glowy look (studio stick foudation... currently NC42 )

ExquizitDiva

I'm Studio Fix liquid NW43 and NC45 concealer... w/ loose blot powder in med/dark BUT I'm still oiling up and I think I look somewhat ashy after I initially apply it. I have the pressed too to carry around with me but I haven't used it yet because I'm thinking of taking it back. I got a sample of the matte cream which I have been using but I may need to try the Prep/Prime Face. I just bought my first MAC products this past Sunday (7/27)

PolyphonicLove

My base is DuWop's Revolotion Face Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 in Sally. I set my TM (and any other base I may use) with MSFN - its the only powder that helps give me a glow. Also, for touch ups throughout the day, I use Urban Decay's De-Slick Powder. Its hard carrying a MSFN, a brush, and a separate mirror to touch up. Although it doesn't add cakey build up, its still inconvenient for on-the-go.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExquizitDiva
I'm Studio Fix liquid NW43 and NC45 concealer... w/ loose blot powder in med/dark BUT I'm still oiling up and I think I look somewhat ashy after I initially apply it. I have the pressed too to carry around with me but I haven't used it yet because I'm thinking of taking it back. I got a sample of the matte cream which I have been using but I may need to try the Prep/Prime Face. I just bought my first MAC products this past Sunday (7/27)

I have Matte texture, and Prep & Prime face. I find Matte works better under my makeup (though I will switch it up from time to time).

That said...i recently bought their Oil Control lotion...and seriously I swear by it. Pair that with Matte texture and you're good!

Latest posts