Shady...or business savvy...?

M.A.C. head.

Does anyone else find it extremely "odd" that M.A.C. waited until 2 weeks after Christmas to have the Friends and Family sale...knowing damn well that we've all already gone and spent those gift cards and money from relatives...or how the Friends and Family Sale only lasts two days...and then Brunette/Blonde/Redhead comes out the next day...

GAH...but we don't care. Do we? We're gonna shop til we drop anyway
th_LMAO.gif

MissResha

yea i'm a little pissed about it because i spent a lot before the ff sale. like i said in another thread, i should return it and just buy it back lol. but yea, they knew what they were doing...

TISH1124

I'm not pleased as a consumer...

But they are in the business to make profits so from thier point of view it was a very profitable smart move.

It's really no different than any other store...I see stuff I bought during Christmas that is now 1/2 off. What can you do...As they say the best sales happen before and after the peak times. MAC consumers will buy no matter what and MAC is quite aware of this....that is why these sales tactics work for them.

People didn't like it...yet again they spent a great deal again on the 25% FF sale

Can't hardly blame them for my makeup addiction and weakness...Love giving MAC my money and falling for the collections etc....

hello_kitty

I'm sure it's some sort of business tactic... that is... shady. Shady business tactic! Haha.

FF sale is bothering me because everything I really wanted was out of stock. Gotta love a sale on stuff I can't buy. I still found some stuff, including a brush... the 25% off pulled me in. dammit.

spacegirl2007

it didnt work on me!
the FF sale and moving the release of BBR had me really thinking hard about what i wanted to buy, narrowing it down. and then i decided that i didnt really want or need any of it, so im not spending any money on the FF sale or the BBR collection.
im sure im the exception, though.

TISH1124

^^ Nope you are not the exception as far as the FF sale I am right there with you ...didn't spend 1 cent on it ... and 90% of my BBR is B2M the rest is Christmas gift cards

M.A.C. head.

I did some fantasy shopping for the FFS but I didn't buy. I JUST received a $300 shipment on Friday. BAH HUMBUG! I really wanted to cash out on the sale, but I will wait for BBR. There are quite a few things that I am interested in from that collection. Whatever money I would have throw at the sale will just go towards that. That stuff is perm anyway, and it'll be around during the next sale.

lyttleravyn

It's just business. It isn't shady at all. While I'm sure MAC exec's love makeup and their consumers, they still have to make money. They know that people bought a lot for christmas, and just spent all the giftcards, so they needed an incentive to make people buy now. It really isn't different from any other retail store. Stores will normally have sales a few weeks after Christmas because that's when no one is buying anything.

Cinci

From a marketing perspective, it was a very smart business move. A few weeks after christmas till the end of february is usually when most businesses' sales are the slowest. It makes sense for them to try and boost their sales during the downtimes. People will buy the BBR collection, so no need offer a discount then.. People will spend their gift cards right after xmas, so no need to have the discount then either. I think it's some very clever marketing on their part. Really, when you think about it, we aren't entitled to discounts at all. IMO, People should just be happy that one was offered, no matter when it was offered, rather than complain that it came at a time that wasn't convenient to them.

xxAngelxx

I don't think its any different than any other business. Pretty much every store has an after-Christmas sale. We may not like it but it happens. Between my boyfriend and I, we spent about a little over $400 on MAC in December, so I'm not pleased. But, I'm not gonna return anything to get the new sale price either.

And yeah succumb to the FF sale...
greengrin.gif

LMD84

annoying as its is for you guys it is just business. at least you guys get the chance to get money off though - they never do that in the uk!!!

it's the same with my shop, people who bought tv's and stuff before christmas were then moaning when they'd have like £100 in the sale. at the end of the day most companies have sales in january. i guess the difference is that mac don't usually do it so nobody was expecting it??

utgirl2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
yea i'm a little pissed about it because i spent a lot before the ff sale. like i said in another thread, i should return it and just buy it back lol. but yea, they knew what they were doing...

I did recently buy some things from my pro store and I am returning them, as I purchased them with the discount from the F&F sale. The same way MAC is in the business of making money, I am in the business of saving my money.

abbyquack

Since MAC never offers sales (or at least 25% off!), it would appear that MAC is being hit hard with the economy just like every other business. As Cinci pointed out, it makes no sense from a business perspective to discount BBR and pre-holiday sales if they can get full price for those items, as they will/did. But the discount is nice if you have wanted any perm items. I think I bought like 9 eyeshadows and a bunch of other things that I've wanted over time, so it's worth while for me to get them while they're on sale.
th_dunno.gif

Blushbaby

Well many of you have proved them right and flocked to the site to buy, buy, buy with the 25% discount - so can you blame them?? Business is business and there'll always be somebody, somewhere willing to spend that cash!

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
Well many of you have proved them right and flocked to the site to buy, buy, buy with the 25% discount - so can you blame them?? Business is business and there'll always be somebody, somewhere willing to spend that cash!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! at the end of the day they are out for profit not friendships

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinci
From a marketing perspective, it was a very smart business move. A few weeks after christmas till the end of february is usually when most businesses' sales are the slowest. It makes sense for them to try and boost their sales during the downtimes. People will buy the BBR collection, so no need offer a discount then.. People will spend their gift cards right after xmas, so no need to have the discount then either. I think it's some very clever marketing on their part. Really, when you think about it, we aren't entitled to discounts at all. IMO, People should just be happy that one was offered, no matter when it was offered, rather than complain that it came at a time that wasn't convenient to them.

I appreciate your input on my post, but I hope you're not implying that I'm complaining. If you're not, I'm sorry for the confusion. If you are, I'd appreciate it if you kept your snide remarks elsewhere. Thanks
greengrin.gif

nursie

i just stocked up on bras and panties at the victoria's secret semi annual sale and bubble bath from bath and body works sale. i dont think it's any different. its a sale. i didnt buy anything from mac this time though, just planning to get a lipstick and lipglass from hello kitty so far this year.

kariii

i have the PPID discount, so this doesn't bother me as much since I can't use it anyways but I feel for everyone else, that sucks especially with the HAIR release just a day after.

Latest posts