Shocking, heartbreaking, and outrageous

kimmy

what is happening in japan is nothing new, it's been taking place for thousands of years. the country is an island, they have to use the resources they're given.

yeah, it's sad for us because we think of dolly dolphin and flipper when we see this. but think about this: some animals we see as food here in the states, other cultures see as dieties.

i wish hollywood would just shut the hell up about all the "injustices" of the world. they trot the globe in their private jets to make appearances, i mean really...what damage does that do to the environment? how badly does that deplete the habitats of these animals they're always preaching about?

Mabelle

Thank you for postin that video. Cruelty towards animals is something i feel very strongly about. I hate these sea world, ride a dolphin tourist attractions. Dolphins and whales are not here for our enjoyment. For us to pay 40$ and see one in a teeny glass tank. And all the horrible things taht happen to them there are awful... like that dolphin that got sick when it was pregnant and its uterus burst and the baby was expelled into its body cavity. Nothing was done and both died.
Dolphins are so intelligent, which is what makes this all the worse. The idea of taking them out of the oceans and stuffing them in an aquarium for fat rich tourists to gawk at or ride is really disgusting to me.
I won't even get started on how i feel about the hunt. How you could ever hurt such a beautiful and sensitive creature is just beyond me. You have to have no soul.

I'm heading over to that website right now.

kimmy

alot of the animals you see on display at sea world would be dead if it weren't for the anheuser busch corporation. it sucks they can't be in the wild, but being captive in a place where they get world class veterinary care is better than being dead.

Machinegun_Cali

I've done a bit of research into this and a majorty of Japanese citizens DONT know this is taking place in their country. The government also doesnt mention how these dolphins are poisioned with mercury due to high levels of pollution in the waters off of Japan. Another nice little fact is that the meat slaughtered in that cove is sent off to school lunch programs. Perfect! Japanese children eating mercury poisioned dolphin meat !

Now I know in the US different varieties of seafood comes with traceable amounts of mercury. Government warns us and advises children and pregnant women to use caution. Now my argument isnt about US vs. Japanese governments.. its about information. After being enlightened by this story (and others that I have researched) I absolutely cant ignore it now.

This type of topic might not be someones cup of tea. I am by no means trying to shove ideas or push people to support this cause. I personally am VERY moved by it and am thowing it out there for others that might be interested.

P.S.

Yeah I thought all the celebrites were pointless...I could honestly care less about any of em. I just think they bring exposure to the cause thats why the folks who made the PSA used em.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
alot of the animals you see on display at sea world would be dead if it weren't for the anheuser busch corporation. it sucks they can't be in the wild, but being captive in a place where they get world class veterinary care is better than being dead.

i agree completely with this. they are treated so well at these parks. i guess next week i will be one of those 'fat tourists' going to see them
shockt.gif
every time we have been to a place like sea world we have always been impressed on how the animals are treated.

Machinegun_Cali

YouTube - Marine Mammals In Captivity

They're treated well ?????????

Im going out on a limb but if I was sea creature or other animal that is used for humans entertainment under the guise of "rescue" or "rehabilitation", I think I'd rather die of natural causes that live one moment in captivity. Now mind you a lot of animals die because of humans. Pollution in the water ect ect ect.

kimmy

you can find videos and literature exposing the shitty side of everything. the bttom line is; yes bad things happen in the world. that's well documented, but nobody seems to ever post youtube videos on the good things happening in the world.

having said that i'm going to have to join the fat tourist club. been a member since i was a small child since sea world has always been one of my favourite places to go. will also be honest that had i never been to sea world as a kid, i probably wouldn't care much at all about the ocean. if nothing else, parks like that expose young kids to the precious wonders that they may someday grow up and dedicate their lives to saving. my sister is in veterinary school right now because we spent so much time as children at places like sea world and the zoo.

but why would anyone ever talk about the positive influence places like that have on countless children?

i'm not saying you're wrong to feel strongly about this stuff, because yes there is some really messed up shit that goes on. i'm just saying that there's alot of good that comes out of all of it that nobody makes youtube videos or peta campaigns for so the good goes unnoticed. drives me nuts.

shatteredshards

Quote:
...but nobody seems to ever post youtube videos on the good things happening in the world.

Funny, I come across them pretty easily. But maybe that's because I don't just sit there watching Fred.
th_dunno.gif

Just because something's been going on for years and years doesn't make it any more right. To be honest, such a simple dismissal bothers me.

MissAlexisDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Thank you for postin that video. Cruelty towards animals is something i feel very strongly about. I hate these sea world, ride a dolphin tourist attractions. Dolphins and whales are not here for our enjoyment. For us to pay 40$ and see one in a teeny glass tank. And all the horrible things taht happen to them there are awful... like that dolphin that got sick when it was pregnant and its uterus burst and the baby was expelled into its body cavity. Nothing was done and both died.
Dolphins are so intelligent, which is what makes this all the worse. The idea of taking them out of the oceans and stuffing them in an aquarium for fat rich tourists to gawk at or ride is really disgusting to me.
I won't even get started on how i feel about the hunt. How you could ever hurt such a beautiful and sensitive creature is just beyond me. You have to have no soul.

I'm heading over to that website right now.

What makes them so different from pigs? You know, pigs are on the same intelligence level as three year old children.

marusia

Omg, speaking of this, my Mailman hit my dog today! I mean, took one of the packages I was sending out, and slapped at her face with it!! I was in the house looking out the window, and the mailbox is about 150 feet from the window and I still saw it. I couldn't help but be pissed. He'd already drove off before I could even leave my office.

In case you're wondering why my dog was getting hit, apparently she was trying to hop in the car with him. LOL

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredshards
Funny, I come across them pretty easily. But maybe that's because I don't just sit there watching Fred.
th_dunno.gif

Just because something's been going on for years and years doesn't make it any more right. To be honest, such a simple dismissal bothers me.

it's not dismissal. it's understanding that different cultures have different practices. i'm not one to judge them and call them out because they do things differently or believe differently than i do. that's all.

..kels*

Thank you so much for posting this. Awareness for situations like this actually can make a difference. Animal cruelty breaks my heart.
ssad.gif

revinn

Just chiming in to add that manatees would be extinct or at extremely close to it if not for places like Sea World... The people who work there genuinely care about these animals and their well-being. So many marine animals injured by humans are rehabilitated there.

Is it right to keep animals in captivity? Maybe not, but if people are out there are going to hurt them by destroying their environments, something that may never be rectified, then maybe it's necessary. Should it be? Probably not, but that's where we are right now. Unfortunately not everyone loves animals as much as some of us
ssad.gif

Off topic, but that's just my two cents on Sea World specifically.

dreamscapemess

wow I'm not sure which side to take, but that second video is a real eye-opener. I'm sorry to say I've never really given MARINE life much thought.
ssad.gif

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by revinn
Just chiming in to add that manatees would be extinct or at extremely close to it if not for places like Sea World... The people who work there genuinely care about these animals and their well-being. So many marine animals injured by humans are rehabilitated there.

Is it right to keep animals in captivity? Maybe not, but if people are out there are going to hurt them by destroying their environments, something that may never be rectified, then maybe it's necessary. Should it be? Probably not, but that's where we are right now. Unfortunately not everyone loves animals as much as some of us
ssad.gif

Off topic, but that's just my two cents on Sea World specifically.

very good points. if people didn't make a mess of where the creatures live in the first place then places like sea world wouldn't need to home and look after them.

YLQ

I wonder what would happen if a bunch of Bollywood stars got together in an effort to save Americas cows? I'd watch for no other reason than to stare at the makeup and Saris. And I'd probably eat a hamburger at some point during the show. *hangs beef loving head in shame*

JULIA

Quote:

There are alternatives. ie: sanctuaries and conservation sites that are closed to the public. I'm not so sure dancing around in a bathtub is so much more luxurious than death in this case. Sure, Sea World rescues animals, but it's disgusting how they make a spectacle out of these creatures.

Mabelle

theyre thinking of lifting the international ban on whaling after 25 years. just fucking great. Cause even with this in place, i suppose we, as human beings, didnt do ENOUGH damage to these poor animals.

WDCS International

Latest posts