Should I get my boss a gift?

Kalico

Opinions needed!

My boss's birthday is coming up fast and I'm torn about whether or not to get her a gift. I've worked there for 8 months now but very rarely with her. I don't know her at all. The thing is though, she bought me a little gift for Christmas. Also, my co-worker got her something really nice! I don't have a lot of money but I feel obligated to get her something small at least.

Everyone I've asked says no, don't do it. That it's a big no no to go there (especially with the boss), I shouldn't "start something", that I'll look like I'm brown nosing, etc but I'm afraid my coworker is gonna make me look bad.

So, a card? A card and small gift? A gift to rival my coworker's? Nothing?
th_dunno.gif
What should I do?

purrtykitty

A nice card to acknowledge her birthday would do just fine. If you know she likes a certain kind of cookie or treat, maybe you could also make her that in lieu of a gift.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
A nice card to acknowledge her birthday would do just fine. If you know she likes a certain kind of cookie or treat, maybe you could also make her that in lieu of a gift.

Agreed, a lovely card is enough. If you want to do something a tiny bit more buy a cheap but nice looking coffee mug and put chocolates in it. You shouldn't do anything extravagant for co-workers (bosses or not). Be prepared for whatever you do to set the bar for future years you're with the company and they are too.

Beauty Mark

When I had been working at a place (very small) for a few months, I ended up buying my boss a cupcake (she liked sweets) for her birthday, since everyone else did something. Just do something small and tasteful (and tasty; people like food)

*KT*

I'd go with a small gift card. If she's a coffee freak, get a travel mug with a $10 giftcard to the place she frequents. Or even a bday card with a $10 giftcard to a lunch spot. Keep it simple and cheap so it's thoughtful, yet not "I spent X dollars on you to make you like me." sort of thing.

If you do get her something though, I'd give it to her when no one else is there. It's no one's business but your own if you decide to do something for her or not.

Brittni

I like the card and/or treats idea. Something small and simple.

I've worked at my current job for almost a year. The boss often comes around with treats, etc (I've always thankfully denied them though) and I didn't get her anything for her birthday ...she still treats me the same. lol! So, I don't think it's really that huge of a deal but definitely NOT anything big/extravagant/something that would seem like sucking up.

Latest posts