Singles vs. Quads - Inspired by Shop/Cook

cno64

The impending release of the Shop Shop Shop/Cook Cook Cook collection, which will feature a number of eyeshadow quads, has caused quite a bit of discussion about the merits of quads vs. single eyeshadows.
Personally, I'm a "singles" woman, though I recognize that the quads have their advantages.
If I'm not mistaken, a quad retails for $38.00, and individual shadows (in compacts) are $15.00 each, so in that respect, quads are a better value.
However, in a typical quad, there will be at least one color that I rarely or never use, so it essentially goes to waste.
Also, the quad palette takes up precious space, in comparison to the single compacts.
I like to "mix and match" my shadows, not often wearing them in the same combination more than maybe two or three times.
Having the shades I love in individual compacts lets me combine them freely.
What does everyone else think?
Are you, like I, single and loving it, or can you not get by without your quads?

QueenOfSnark

Interesting discussion topic!
iagree.gif
I personally prefer singles, as I'm not only horrendously picky but a minimalist--I abhor the idea of having dupes in my stash and can't stand it when a quad is released with one color I desperately want and the others I don't care for (hello, Lady Grey quad!). I depot everything when possible so I just swap/sell the colors I don't want, but it's just annoying added steps that I wish I could avoid.

You know what would be nice? If MAC would magnetize the pre-made quads so that not only could people pop out colors as they wished but keep the quad itself in the process. They could put a seal/sticker/something on the bottom of the colors so they'd know if someone was trying to steal/put in dupes and return/etc.

cno64

Interesting discussion topic! If MAC would magnetize the pre-made quads so that not only could people pop out colors as they wished but keep the quad itself in the process. They could put a seal/sticker/something on the bottom of the colors so they'd know if someone was trying to steal/put in dupes and return/etc.

What a terrific idea!
clapping.gif

I'd still like to have the option of buying every shadow MAC makes as a single.
There are always going to be shades I use half to death, shades I don't use all the time but frequently enough to warrant having them around, and some that I can pass on, entirely.

Mac-Guy

Interesting discussion topic!
iagree.gif
I personally prefer singles, as I'm not only horrendously picky but a minimalist--I abhor the idea of having dupes in my stash and can't stand it when a quad is released with one color I desperately want and the others I don't care for (hello, Lady Grey quad!). I depot everything when possible so I just swap/sell the colors I don't want, but it's just annoying added steps that I wish I could avoid.

You know what would be nice? If MAC would magnetize the pre-made quads so that not only could people pop out colors as they wished but keep the quad itself in the process. They could put a seal/sticker/something on the bottom of the colors so they'd know if someone was trying to steal/put in dupes and return/etc.
It's a great idea, but not very practical as it would open so much room for fake inserts. It probably would take swaplifting and falling-into-the-ebay-fake-trap to a whole new level, as buyers run the risk of purchasing a full or partial fake product. This would be horrible!

Maybe the solution would be to offer LE shades as refills, but then no-one would be quads anymore.

But to answer to original question: What I like most about quads is that I get not only e/s with names, but also the quad has a name. Perverted Pearls, Spiced Chocolate, Leopard Luxe.... the name makes these products really enticing.

I also like single e/s, though in this case, I would probably prefer refills to save me depotting time.

QueenOfSnark

It's a great idea, but not very practical as it would open so much room for fake inserts. It probably would take swaplifting and falling-into-the-ebay-fake-trap to a whole new level, as buyers run the risk of purchasing a full or partial fake product. This would be horrible!

Maybe the solution would be to offer LE shades as refills, but then no-one would be quads anymore.
Huh, I never thought of it that way. Yeah, that would be horrible. And I agree, if they made LE shades as pro pans who would buy quads?

(of course they sell empty quads anyway, so...hmm.)

cno64

Nope, only the perm ones come as refills.

I do wish they'd make the LE ones available as refills! Some of the very best shadows are LE, tragically.
What I *really* wish, though, is that they'd give shoppers the option of buying all of the shades that come in the quads as singles!
For example, I'd have loved to have Bruised Sky from the Interior Life quad, but I didn't want to buy a quad, just to get one eyeshadow.

Thia Winter

I put variety, only because if I find a quad I like I'll get it....problem is, I've not yet found a quad that I've wanted all of the colors enough to buy.

cno64

problem is, I've not yet found a quad that I've wanted all of the colors enough to buy.
EXACTLY!

I was tempted by the Interior Life quad, for example, but I don't think I'd use Stratus much, if at all.
So I'm passing on the whole thing. Weirdly, if it had been a trio, consisting of Bruised Sky, Interior Life, and Heather Belles, I'd probably go for it.
If each of the shadows were available individually, I have little doubt that at least Interior Life and Heather Belles would be in my possession right now.

Thia Winter

So I'm passing on the whole thing. Weirdly, if it had been a trio, consisting of Bruised Sky, Interior Life, and Heather Belles, I'd probably go for it. If each of the shadows were available individually, I have little doubt that at least Interior Life and Heather Belles would be in my possession right now.

So it's not just me then! LOL.....I know, if they were available individually I'd be grabbing up a number of them.

I'm considering a few of the quads but I want to see them IRL first.

cno64

So it's not just me then! LOL.....I know, if they were available individually I'd be grabbing up a number of them.

I'm considering a few of the quads but I want to see them IRL first.

No, it's definitely not just you!
I'm blessed with large, bright green eyes, and I know Interior Life, at least, would do wonderful things for them.
BUT, the rational part of my brain, the part that has a Bachelor of Science degree, reminds me that I already have lovely flattering shadows like MAC Velour, Shale, Hypnotizing, Blackberry, and Fig. 1, as well as Urban Decay Cult, Heist, and Illegal.
And Bobbi Brown Heather.
The goofy, irrational, insecure, borderline obsessive part of my brain, the part that MAC loves, still wishes that Interior Life, Bruised Sky, and/or Heather Belles were available as singles.
I've noticed that it does happen occasionally that shadows that first appear in quads eventually are released as singles.
So I'll keep hoping.
ohboy.gif

babesimmo

I agree with this whole idea over single vs quad. As long as you know or have seen the multiple eyeshadow in one box or pack from the shops? Imagine of that, I'd take the box in the handbag it will be no room and mess! Take the single or individual one into the handbag it's plenty of room instead of the pack of quad or multiple eyeshadow.
Plus the pack of quad or multiple eyeshadow (like a 12-pieced eyeshadow palette) where it stores in the bathroom cupboard so I find it shocked that the pack gets mess over muddle, dust, clash inside the box or pack. Single or individual (one eyeshadow colour) items it's no problem because no mess over muddle, dust, clash. Good ideal for the single/individual ones are never together like quad or multiple because the separate items. If alot of single eyeshadow ones then get the storage box/case in the bathroom cupboard. :)

corinne27

theres always that one random color you never end up using..... i like to make my own pallets personally.

Latest posts