• We are currently in the process of rebuilding user permissions. If you find you cannot access something you've normally been able to, please wait until the rebuild process is completed (this message will be removed when it's completed).

Skincare: Volcanic Ash Exfoliator

mustardgirl

Overall Rating: 4
Price [Value]: 5
Packaging Quality: 3
Would you buy this product again? Yes

General Comments on this product:
This product is currently available with the Future Earth Collection. At first I had really serious doubts about anything from this line (just didn't interest me) but after I tried this exfoliator I am super glad I purchased it and will be sad when this is discontinued.

About my skin: I have combination skin (oily t-zone, dry cheeks) and occasionally break out (I have some acne scars to battle with as well). It can be a real hassle finding something that will work on all areas of my face without making one super oily and the other super dry.

This product: If you have a chance, try this out at the counter or store first before you purchase it - like for example on the back of your hand. An MA did this for me and I was so surprised that after just one application (putting it, rubbing it for a few seconds, then wiping it off with some charged water and a makeup wipe) my left hand was significantly smoother and softer than my right hand. It's been like this since earlier today and I've even washed my hands several times since then (it's now like 4am - don't even ask what I'm doing awake
) Anyway, I used it tonight on my face (apply on, rub gently for several seconds) and after rinsing with warm water, my face was definitely much smoother and softer. It did feel a little tingly and warm a few seconds later but it went away quickly after applying my usual moisturizer. *Update!* This warm and tingly thing might be because my skin was not expecting the exfoliation the first time. I don't normally exfoliate (I know I'm bad lol) but I did this a couple times now and I don't feel the warmness anymore but the tingle sometimes is there depending on if I've rubbed the exfoliator a long time onto my skin or not.

If you don't have the luxury of going to a counter/store to see this in person and want to see an ingredient list (for those with allergies or sensitive skin), here you go: sucrose, sodium lauroyl lactylate, disodium coco-glucoside sulfosuccinate, lauramidopropyl betaine, volcanic ash, methyl gluceth-20, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, ethylhexylglycerin, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, sodium cocoyl glutamate, fragrance (parfum), phenoxyetanol, iron oxides

The only reason why I gave a 3 for packaging was because this stuff can get kind of messy and when I opened the jar, the stuff inside kind of clung to the lid and I had to be extra careful not to spill it anywhere. I wouldn't try to take it for travel unless you transfer it to a safe tight lid jar. But a little of this stuff goes a long way! I expect that this will last me at least several months if not longer (usage is 1 to 3 times a week - not every day). I have no idea what other benefits I might see from using this other than softer and smoother skin but hey, if it happens to also help decrease the appearance of acne scars, I will let you know

*EDIT* Additional Info: after doing a livechat, I found out that an opened jar of this stuff can last you up to 2 years. Unopened, you can probably keep it forever lol.

RaynelleM

Overall Rating: 5
Packaging Quality: 4

General Comments on this product:
I used this for the first time last night and my skin felt really smooth and soft right away and still does right now. I was using the Aveeno Daily Scrub once a week but that always left my skin feeling tight. This feels nothing like that at all!! I hope it becomes part of the permanent line!

Poison_Ivy

Packaging Quality: 5

i bought this exfoliator about a week ago i love it so much i leave it on sfter i scrub to dry then i will get my face wet and rub it in it turns soapy then i will wipe it away! Its sold out online i hope they get more this is my fav. product i would recommend it to anyone with uneven skin i am using it to clean my pores out! It can get messy though so be careful!

jenniferever

I got this for free at work as I work at a magazine, and was looking for an exfoliator so I guess it was meant to be. I LOVE it, it smells clean and scrubs well. It leaves my skin smooth without being too stripped. Does anyone know if this is a permanent part of MAC collection or just with the Future Earth line?

panda0410

Packaging Quality: 1

Would you buy this product again? You bet!!!

As a rule I stopped using exfoliators years ago for one reason - every single time I used them my skin would react and get blotchy, itchy and break out horribly within hours to days afterwards so I initially had ZERO interest in this product. Curiosity and rave reviews got the better of me and I bought one. I am really glad I did - besides the fact that I havent had a single reaction to it, it has actually improved the tetxure of my skin quite dramatically in only 2 weeks - its much smoother than previously, and feels quite soft to touch.
I actually quite like the smell of it, some have commented in other threads on an earthy smell but I havent noticed it myself.
I give the packaging a lousy review rating - the packaging is awful..... My first jar was great, but the second jar leaks like a sieve. I've wiped and cleaned it, it gets very messy and the lid isnt fabulous either - it kind of contributes to the mess. I actually removed some from my second jar altogther, it may have been a little over-full, but it still weeps through the thread on the jar and eventually down the sides if the lid isnt cleaned off before you screw it back on. I am hoping my 3rd jar doesnt do the same...

If you have a chance to pick some up but are worried about sensitive skin dont stress - my skin is HIGHLY sensitive and I havent had a problem!

MissAlphaKitty

Overall Rating: 3 (good for spa-like body scrub experience at home)
Price [Value]: 3
Packaging Quality: n/a (I can't comment , I got a sample as part of a swap)
Would you buy this product again? no

I have oily/ acne prone skin so a good scrub for my blackheads is a must
I got a sample of VAE in a swap so I gave it a try tonight

I found the exfoliating granules to be too big and scratchy for my face.
I would consider using this scrub on the back of my hands or my feet

It does have a nice fragrance and reminds me of a high end spa item... and feels like there's an oil component that gives u a moisturized feel to ur skin after you rinse off...

My final comment is about this product is: VAE is more style than substance... good for spa-like experience at home... too rough for face

If you have serious blackheads like me... Consider MD Formulations body/face scrub (with 15% gycolic acid and polyethylene granules) instead

xphoenix06

Love this product, too bad it's sold out nationwide. The Manager at my MAC counter told me that MAC cosmetics have a rights to the volcano where they get the volcanic ash from, so this product may become permanent. I'm pretty sure also of us has contacted MAC customer services about this product so...hopefully they will make it permanent! ^-^

Me and MAC

Packaging Quality: 3

I love love love this product. It makes my skin so smooth and bright, I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to try it! I am halfway through my first pot, and have 2 back up pots. Don't know what I'l do when it runs out!

Lottascarlatta

Would you buy this product again? Hell Yeah!
This does wonders to my face. It performs so well that I use it four/five times a week. Three times after a face cleanser and the other one/two during the masque/toner regimen. Can't say enough good things about this. And my face feels so smooth afterwords!

flushed

I bought 2 from Style Black and I'm already out because I use this so much! It's an amaaazing physical exfoliator and has never made me break out! I hope they bring it out again soon!