• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Smokey-ish Purple Tutorial

fingie

This my first tutorial, so please be kind..and I'd love to hear CC.

Excuse the eyebrows and weird faces..I'm a dork. Oh, and if my lips look wonky, it's because I had my retainers in for most of the pics.

I learned this technique from MAC Pro Artist Konstantine at a demo a few weeks back. Pretty much the approach to "Spring" foundation is to use a super blendable concealer (like MACs moistureblend) to hide imperfections and then just go over with a natural MSF to even out skin a little. Obviously this may not work for all skin types, but I've been using it since my daughter lost my 188 a few days ago. (I just can't bring myself to apply SFF with anything else!)

Start with clean//moisturized skin..apply spot concealer to areas needed. I did undereyes, around//on my nose, some acne marks and on my cheeks which are naturally red.

I lost my moistureblend, so I used this instead:
0302.jpg

0312.jpg

0222.jpg

I then take this 217-wannabe paintbrush from Michael's and blend.
0232.jpg

like this.
0252.jpg

half-way done
0262.jpg

all done!
0272.jpg

I then take my MSF natural
0292.jpg

0322.jpg

and this brush (another paintbrush)
0352.jpg

and I apply all over my face, kind of blotting it on VS. rubbing (I don't want to "rub" the concealer off, ya know?)
0392.jpg

I then take my blush
0402.jpg

0432.jpg

and apply with my fluffy brush
0452.jpg

0462.jpg

Then I apply my highlight color, Honour, by dragging the brush back from the apples of my cheeks almost to my hairline
0482.jpg

0492.jpg

like so. I didnt want too much color on the cheeks because I wasn't sure how dark I was going to go on the eyes yet. haha
0542.jpg

0562.jpg

Then I apply Painterly paintpot from lid to browbone
0582.jpg

0632.jpg

Then I apply Crystal Avalanche as a highlight from my inner corner up on to my browbone with my 217 (in the pic above you can see I hadn't done my left eye's//your right's highlight yet)
06323.jpg

In this shape
0662.jpg

0672.jpg

0682.jpg

Then I load up my brush (still the 217) with my crease color, in this case, Black Tied.
The reason I do my crease color next is because everytime I do lid and then crease, I feel like I waste so much time because I just have to reapply the lid color anyways after blending.
0692.jpg

0712.jpg

So I put BT in my crease like that
0742.jpg

Then I blend. I do a mix of "traditional" blending by dragging the brush back and forth but also do a bit of blotting too (I never realized how much I "blot" my products on until this tut..). I like that I can control the variances (thats a word, right? lol) in color depth that way. In this pic you can see the difference between blended, unblended. It doesn't have to be perfect because you can always clean it up later.
smiles.gif

0782.jpg

Then I take a shorter, stiffer brush (another paintbrush)
0792.jpg

0802.jpg

and I load up some purple from the Mi'Lady duo
0812.jpg

0882.jpg

I apply it over the lid and over the Black Tied.
If you want the crease to be more "true black" than the purpley, you can always go over it with some more black tied. I liked that by doing the black with purple over it, it gave me a dark purple looking shadow VS the regular purple with black in the crease. (I hope that makes sense)
0942.jpg

0952.jpg

Then I apply some blacktrack with my 231 (loooove this brush for fluidline--its so precise! ...and a bit stained)
After that, I clean up any blending..add some more highlight//crease color if needed, spray some Fix+, curl my lashes, add mascara & some Wildly Lush plushglass...
0992.jpg

and then I start the camwhoring!
1012.jpg

1062.jpg
With my 10month old Boxer, Dozer (lol at me looking crosseyed)
1072.jpg

Oh, and I did remember to do my brows after I took the pics--Dozer distracted me when he came into the bathroom
winks.gif

I hope this was okay for a first time tutorial, and like I said--CC is encouraged!

xoleaxo

so pretty! thanks for the tut.. i will definitely try it with another purpley shade since i don't have mi' lady. great makeup!

ps-cute pup!
smiles.gif

fingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silgava
I can't see any pics
ssad.gif

Hmm thats weird, theyre showing up for me. Maybe try hitting refresh?

anjelik_dreamin

This tute is simple but stunning! You look beautiful! You've also peaked my interest in the natural MSF too! Your skin looks amazingly flawless!! If only it wasn't $45 odd in Australia...

gigglegirl

I love this look! You seriously used only three e/s? Wow. Ah-mazing...I wish I had great blending skills like you!

ilovecheese

Lovely tutorial and detailed pics! Love your doggie....Please kiss him on the nose from me! Definitely going to try this look sometime soon.

fingie

Thank you so much for everyone's nice comments! But yes, I did only use 3 eyeshadows (I am just not someone who can use like 5 different colors and pull it off) and I love my paintbrushes just as much as my MAC ones! (With the exception of my 188 & 217--they have my heart lol)

I was also pretty skeptical of the natural MSFs, but now I love mine--esp after the demo with Konstantine!

Jot

Great tut - i like how you did the crease and then the purple over it to make it more purpley (if you know what i mean) thanks x

Pinkish*RED

great tutorial (Esp. for a 1st timer!
greengrin.gif
) and definetly easy to follow I think though if you put the instructions before the pic it would be even better
smiles.gif
you sure got me wanting to try paint brushes!

Latest posts