Storing makeup when you have limited room

Becksabec

What is the most effective way of storing your makeup when you don't have a lot of room? I'm living on-campus, but I don't have a whole lot of room. Back home, I have stackable plastic containers which I keep on an extra dresser. Right now, I just have my essentials in a bathroom drawer, and the rest of my stuff is in boxes in the floor of my closet. I'll be in a different building starting in August. I'll just have a wardrobe and a desk in my bedroom. I will have a decent-sized bathroom, that I'll be sharing with another girl.

DILLIGAF

My apartment is rather tiny and everything in it has to be able to do double duty. For example, on astorage truck that I've placed pillows so it can also be used for seating. A lot of my items have to be stored out in the open and for that reason I don't use clear containers instead I use pretty decorative boxes. Now there are 2 ways to go about this. One...get them from IKEA or Michaels. The prices are reasonable and the options are endless. Two...make them yourself. Use old shipping boxes or shoe boxes and cover them with wrapping or contact paper. The difference is with the premade boxes chances are you will also get lids. If you make the boxes they will be more reflective of your own style. Just make sure you use labels so you don't have to open EVERY SINGLE box each time you need something. Hope this helps.

Camnagem

One thing that might work for you is a rolling cart. They hold quite a bit in a small footprint. With the mobility, you can move them around so they don't take up any "permanent" space in your room. Tons of different options are available at office supply stores, and they're fairly cheap.

If you have any doors available, you can find different organizers that you can hang on the back of them (usually meant for shoes, but great for other things). It takes up almost zero space, and can actually hold a fair amount of stuff. If you can at all avoid it, don't store any make-up in the bathroom itself (bad news, especially in one that gets used frequently by 2 girls).

The other advice I have is to use every single inch of storage space you actually do have. If you have a rolling cart, for example, find trays/dividers to separate each drawer into many different compartments for ease of use and maximum usage of space. You can find many different options at The Container Store, or much cheaper versions in office supply stores and Target.

Door Organizer Link:
The Container Store > PEVA 24-Pocket Overdoor Shoe Bag

Rolling Carts:
Alvin Blue Hills Studio Mobile Storage Carts - BLICK art materials

More Rolling Carts (Plastic):
Plastic Carts Drawers and Crates - Storage Files Boxes and More - Filing and Storage - Office Supplies at Office Depot

ruthless

Tips on shared households

Mark every thing you own, EVERYTHING with a sharpie of some sort. That way they can't "float off" so easily

Have a "daily look" bag that contains your lipstick/gloss etc touch ups for that day only, when you're done put it back in storage.

Will you be doing make up in the bathroom? If so same thing for blush foundation etc to take into the bathroom with you.

What about wall shelving? Can you drill into the walls?

NotteRequiem

This might sound psycho, but when I was in college I stored everything in a traincase and my desk at school. My middle drawer was reserved for makeup.

When you leave, you'll have to get another traincase if things don't fit, but it's well worth it!!!

Bed risers. Try and get your bed as far off the floor as possible. An entire three-drawer unit and then some can fit underneath. Ask your RA if its possible to get the bed itself any higher.

ninaxmac

I use one of those plastic drawers and set it on my desk. Walmart has a nice sized one for $5 in it's back to school section.

Latest posts