Surprise visitor!

duckduck

So I had to share this story because, well, everything ended up alright and it was just too adorable. A while back we adopted this wonderful cat, Mao. She is incredibly curious, and gets into everything - here is a picture of her messing around in some bags in the kitchen:

mao.jpg

Anyways, she is mostly an indoor cat, but when the weather is nice, she always manages to find one way or another to get out of the house and go exploring. She always comes back after a few hours, so when she does get out, we just leave a window open for her and don't worry about it too much. Well, one day when she had gotten out, my boyfriend and I went to go pick up some dinner to eat. When we got back, she was back in the house and greeted us at the door as always. We sat down checking our e-mail and whatnot and about 15 minutes later our living room suddenly erupted in a series of high-pitched screams! We ran in to see what had happened, and the cat was carrying something brown and furry about by the scruff of it's neck. She dropped it, and whatever it was tore off to hide under the equipment rack in the corner. I couldn't get down to see what was under it, so I grabbed my camera, put it down there, and took a picture. Here's what I saw:

NotethePawsoffthetheleft.jpg

Holy crap it was cute!! So we tossed the cat in the basement (much to her dismay) and set about photographing and trying to catch the little bunny. He was itty-bitty and super quick, but I got this shot of him which I absolutely love:

IMG_2374.jpg

We did finally catch him in a bucket and took him outside. Here is a photo so that you can get an idea of his size:

Picture1.jpg

I checked him over for injuries, and, amazingly, he was completely fine! There were absolutely no wounds, cuts, broken bones, or evidence of internal injury. Having looked around on the Internet, I would put his age at 3-4 weeks, just old enough to have left the nest. He appeared to be a normal, healthy, baby bunny and if I didn't know any better, I would have told you he had wandered into the house of his own accord. As best as I could tell, the cat had plucked him up, carried him inside through the window, and dropped him. She seemed to like catching him, but when she did, she carried him gently by the scruff of his neck, and did not bat him around or use her claws on him.
th_dunno.gif

So, we let him go, and he tore off behind our neighbors deck. I'm quite sure that he'll be out and digging up my garden within the month, but I couldn't bear to release him anywhere else just in case he still needed his mother. Yeah, I'm a sucker
tong.gif

MACATTAK

Aww so cute! In the first pic I can see your cats paws waiting patiently for that bunny! My cat is president of the "Catch and Release" program. She has caught numerous birds, but never kills or injures them. Once they are out of her mouth, they just fly away. Glad to hear your cat is in the same club
smiles.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Aww so cute! In the first pic I can see your cats paws waiting patiently for that bunny! My cat is president of the "Catch and Release" program. She has caught numerous birds, but never kills or injures them. Once they are out of her mouth, they just fly away. Glad to hear your cat is in the same club
smiles.gif

Oh my gosh - I had no idea cats would do that! I guess some cats do not associate hunting and food. It kinda makes sense - our cat spends a lot of time hunting lasers and strings both of which make for a terrible dinner. Either way, I hope she stays in the catch and release club!

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck
Oh my gosh - I had no idea cats would do that! I guess some cats do not associate hunting and food. It kinda makes sense - our cat spends a lot of time hunting lasers and strings both of which make for a terrible dinner. Either way, I hope she stays in the catch and release club!

Aww, poor baby...what a cutie! When my kitty was an outdoor one, he'd do the same thing...birds, bunnies, snakes - and he was declawed, too! I don't think our other kitty would know what to do even if he did catch something during one of his "supervised outdoor visits".
lol.gif

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Aww, poor baby...what a cutie! When my kitty was an outdoor one, he'd do the same thing...birds, bunnies, snakes - and he was declawed, too! I don't think our other kitty would know what to do even if he did catch something during one of his "supervised outdoor visits".
lol.gif

Awww, that's so cute! I actually thought my cat would be absolutely incapable of catching anything since her hunting method appeared to be running directly at the animal of interest causing it to become alarmed and fly or run away. I never imagined she might actually catch something!

purrtykitty

Quote:
Awww, that's so cute! I actually thought my cat would be absolutely incapable of catching anything since her hunting method appeared to be running directly at the animal of interest causing it to become alarmed and fly or run away. I never imagined she might actually catch something!

Lol, it's funny how excited they get and the instincts go right out the window!

Xqueeze_me

Is that Mao's pair of legs on the side?? hahahaha Too funny and both cute as!!

Quote:
I couldn't get down to see what was under it, so I grabbed my camera, put it down there, and took a picture. Here's what I saw:

NotethePawsoffthetheleft.jpg

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, his/her relative visited me the other day...this is right outside my office window.
pictures039.jpg

and then sunning his/her buns on my porch
pictures041.jpg

If they would juuuust quit eating my flowers I would be so happy!

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
Is that Mao's pair of legs on the side?? hahahaha Too funny and both cute as!!

Heehee, yup - that's her on the left waiting patiently for her little bunny friend to come back! She got tossed into the garage about 10 seconds later
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstrom4
Hey, his/her relative visited me the other day...this is right outside my office window.
pictures039.jpg

and then sunning his/her buns on my porch
pictures041.jpg

If they would juuuust quit eating my flowers I would be so happy!

AWWWW lookit him! So cute! Yeah - I know I'll be seeing my little guy again soon, and I GUARANTEE he will be munching away at either my flowers, or my vegetable garden
nonono.gif

Latest posts