Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss QQ

Human cases of swine flu have been identified in Mexico, United States, and now Canada and Spain. It was first reported on 24th April 09 and is rapidly evolving.

The website of CDC and WHO have information on the outbreak.
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
WHO | Disease Outbreak News

I am working in a healthcare institution but I am not in the frontline. Our Ministry has alerted all our healthcare institutions to step up measures. It is similar to the SARS outbreak in 2003 which affected mainly Asia and also the US and Canada, if I recall correctly.

Is there any direct impact on you? Do you fear that the outbreak will turn into a global outbreak since infrastructure is so advanced today? Are you going to change any daily hygiene habits and lifestyle?

I am wondering if I should postpone my outpatient appointments at the hospitals but my medications are running low and I need to buy them as well.

lvgz

the cases in the US have been much more mild than in mexico, from what i hear. i also havent heard anything about restriction of travel there. i'm not going to get paranoid and psycho (sp?) but i will take precautions. i think everybody should-- better safe than sorry. mainly.. be sure to wash your hands and be aware of people that have flu like symptoms. let your kids/little siblings etc know that they need to do the same, since it is probably more easily spread in a school setting (ie sitting next to a sick kid or something). not everybody with flu symptoms have it but like i said, honestly.. better safe than sorry. there are meds to treat the swine flu but this could turn into something huge.. its evolving. the swine flu was once very HUGE, if i recall correctly.. around one of the world wars. we are more advanced now, so we have things to treat it.. but bc of that we could also spread it faster.. i just think everybody should be aware. im worried but not quite freaking out, persay.

Miss QQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
There is a thread discussing this ...diff title same discussion

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f186/f...auling-137732/

Ok. Thanks.
yes.gif

anita22

It's just been confirmed in the last few hours that a few people have tested positive for swine flu in New Zealand (which is where I am from). I have to say, the fact that it has reached there disturbs me a bit - being a fairly remote island country, NZ usually feels quite sheltered from these sorts of things. So yes, the topic is feeling "close to home" for me right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts